Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Adaptive M Suspension or not?

09-07-2019, 04:00 AM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by x986 View Post
Does anyone else have any "real world knowledge"? My order is just about final.
The forums are full of "real world knowledge". We've had adaptive suspensions for a good few years now. Suspension choice is very individual, hence the varied user opinion on its value and performance. Many do rate the adaptive in the G20, others feel the passive M-sport is 'comfortable' enough, not to require the adaptive option.

There is only one way to really assess whether you rate it and want it, your own "back to back" testing. Includes the wheel setup as well.

You have to ask yourself what do you want from the suspension? Fixed damping rates? More comfort + good handling balance? Option to select as you drive? What kind of road surfaces do you drive? Do you carry passengers? No one else can really answer and say which suspension to get.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #24
x986
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 340, ex e92 335, ex e46 M3

Garage List
SAs in the EU must be more accommodating than in the US,
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 03:47 AM   #25
kasimasi
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d

I had the same doubt and requested a test drive of both options: non-adaptive m-sport suspension and adaptive m-sport suspension.

As I'm going with the diesel option, I wanted to keep a sporty feeling but also comfort for the high number of long-distance road trips I'm going to do with the car.

The comfort is way higher on the adaptive m-sport suspension while keeping that sporty feeling when you ask for it. But if you want a real sports car, then keep the non-adaptive m-sport suspension.

You know what they say: jack-of-all-trades, master of none. On my case, I prefer a jack-of-all-trades.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 04:51 PM   #26
Pacemaker1000
Private
Rep
Drives: 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysnbrg View Post
If comfort is important to you, I would also recommend getting 18" wheels with non RFT along with the adaptive suspension. RFT sidewalks are stiffer and that takes away from a compliant ride.

I had similar requirements to yours for a commuter/daily driver. That's the way I ended up building my M340, and it's been everything I had hoped for.

From my research before ordering, and from test driving, here is how I would rank them, ordered by most comfortable first:
1) Adaptive with 18" non RFT
2) Adaptive with 18" RFT
3) Non-Adaptive with 18" RFT
4) Adaptive with 19" RFT
5) Non-Adaptive with 19" RFT

What about non adaptive with non RFT?
Would that be second?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 05:22 PM   #27
BmwDriverStockholm
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M-sport sedan

Adaptive suspension IMHO is the best option for its money. Just compare its price with the toned windows or m-stiched safety belts =)

Most of the time I'm driving my 19 inches in the summertime in sport-individual mode with suspension "sport" and wintertime with suspension "comfort". Also, "comfort" helps a lot with speed bumps and really bad roads.

Highly recommended regardless of tire choice!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 05:31 PM   #28
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
I've got the passive M-sport on 19-inch staggered non-runflat wheels.

For the first two-three months, I was concerned I'd made a mistake. But after I got used to just how much dynamism it gave me I was happy.

I chose this in the first place because I was looking for a driver's car with as much feel as I can muster in this day and age. The passive suspension became very important for feel since the steering feel is nowhere near the hydraulic setups I was used to. Also a big factor in remaining RWD.

I would say for anyone looking for maximum comfort, the adaptive is a must, and coupling with non-RFT is wise as well. Although I would also argue that maximum comfort is best left to the 5-series or X3.

I'd also heard that the M340i's suspension may be tuned harsher in general than even an M-sport 330i, any confirmations from 330i drivers?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #29
Moonbags
Tourist
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M340xi

I actually have driven M340s with and without the adaptive back to back. The adaptive was great, and an improvement in my opinion. But not enough for me to order it custom rather than take the standard M Sport sus model on the lot that otherwise was a perfect match to my spec.

The adaptive was plush in comfort and tight in sport mode. The difference was definitely noticeable. The standard M Sport is perhaps a bit more comfortable than the adaptive was in Sport with respect to soaking up bumps. But if you are primarily comfort oriented - from my perspective - the adaptive is the best $700 you can spend on the spec.

I would say you can give it a miss if you live in an area with few potholes though. In that case, you'd probably never miss it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 07:53 PM   #30
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

My driving is non-track suburban, but spirited on twisty roads when appropriate. I swapped out the 19 inch staggered runflat P7s on my M440iX for a set of Continental DWS 06 all-season go flats. Love them. Much quieter, smoother but still stable ride and handling in four season driving.

I find myself very seldom using the adaptive setting at all. I most often use sport, and then sport plus on those twisties or when I just want added attitude.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 05:06 AM   #31
Pacemaker1000
Private
Rep
Drives: 430i GC

As far as BMW is concerned AS is a must if ordering new due to its low price. It always amazes me why dealers seem to never add them to stock cars. As said there or pointless options they ass but omit AS. I’m looking to change now and in the UK it’s virtually impossible to find a stock cars with this.
Worse still are Audi and Mercedes who only make AS available via very expensive packs. We’re talking £6k !!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #32
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 -> G20

I got my M Sport 330i xdrive with non-adaptive M Sport suspension. I love how the car drives and how the steering feels (In comfort the steering is not too soft like standard suspension, but still not too harsh). I always wanted to try a M Sport 330i xdrive with an adaptive suspension (but it's hard to find one in the dealership), so based on the mixed reviews I have just ordered mine with M Sport Suspension. I agree that its sportier than the standard suspension (on a non-m sport car). If you are going to drive most of the time just yourself and a front passenger then you should be good with M Sport suspension as you don't lose any comfort & sportiness. But if you drive with back passengers most of the time, then I did hear from my back passengers that car is bumpy when you drive in some uneven highways/roads (even the car is in Comfort mode).

Again, I never got a chance to test drive an adaptive suspension. So I really cannot comment on that. I also have an SUV for family drive, so I use my G20 mostly if I drive alone or only with a front passenger most of the time. Also, I love the M Sport suspension with less body rolls with sporty driving dynamics on a day to day driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 12:55 AM   #33
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I have adaptive suspension on my M340I with factory 795M black 20 inch rims. The ride quality is great I think.

I also test drove an M340I without adaptive suspension and 19 inch runflats. I thought it was fairly harsh riding and would not like it as a daily driver.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 05:32 AM   #34
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
AS on 791m 19" runflats (Michelin PS4S) and I'd say it's pretty much essential on our roads I think the moon has less craters...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 06:36 PM   #35
petermcs340
ex-2002
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

If it helps, I’m a big fan of Adaptive M Suspension after 18 months with a 2020 M340. Comfort is ok until it’s too soft; Sport is ok until it’s too stiff; and the road surface is ok until it’s not. Adaptive makes the ride and handling just right over all sorts of road surfaces, neither to soft nor too stiff. Around town you won’t notice much difference from Comfort; on the track you might not notice much difference from Sport (a theoretical speculation). Personally, my road trips are always set to Adaptive. But note: you must choose Adaptive OR sport/comfort, not adaptive AND sport/comfort. AND would be my recommendation for improvement. Still, I’d definitely get it again…
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 06:58 PM   #36
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Hi,

I've had my 2020 M340 for almost 2 years; car has M Adaptive suspension.

It has made a huge difference!

I'm glad I got it -- you'll enjoy it

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #37
Blado
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Hi,

I've had my 2020 M340 for almost 2 years; car has M Adaptive suspension.

It has made a huge difference!

I'm glad I got it -- you'll enjoy it

can you expand on what differences you noted? just curious. I ordered adaptive m suspension recently on a custom 330i and want to know how it made your ride better!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 09:17 PM   #38
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blado View Post
can you expand on what differences you noted? just curious. I ordered adaptive m suspension recently on a custom 330i and want to know how it made your ride better!
This post says it all. Done.

'If it helps, I’m a big fan of Adaptive M Suspension after 18 months with a 2020 M340. Comfort is ok until it’s too soft; Sport is ok until it’s too stiff; and the road surface is ok until it’s not. Adaptive makes the ride and handling just right over all sorts of road surfaces, neither to soft nor too stiff. Around town you won’t notice much difference from Comfort; on the track you might not notice much difference from Sport (a theoretical speculation). Personally, my road trips are always set to Adaptive. But note: you must choose Adaptive OR sport/comfort, not adaptive AND sport/comfort. AND would be my recommendation for improvement. Still, I’d definitely get it again…"
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 10:22 PM   #39
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermcs340 View Post
If it helps, I’m a big fan of Adaptive M Suspension after 18 months with a 2020 M340. Comfort is ok until it’s too soft; Sport is ok until it’s too stiff; and the road surface is ok until it’s not. Adaptive makes the ride and handling just right over all sorts of road surfaces, neither to soft nor too stiff. Around town you won’t notice much difference from Comfort; on the track you might not notice much difference from Sport (a theoretical speculation). Personally, my road trips are always set to Adaptive. But note: you must choose Adaptive OR sport/comfort, not adaptive AND sport/comfort. AND would be my recommendation for improvement. Still, I’d definitely get it again…
Stupid question. What exactly do you mean by: "you must choose Adaptive OR sport/comfort, not adaptive AND sport/comfort."
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 06:12 AM   #40
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Hi,

As I was for a while, many of us get confused by Adaptive Driving Mode and Adaptive Suspension. They are two different features. Adaptive Driving Mode affects accelerator response, Suspension & steering. Adaptive Suspension, on the hand, is just Suspension

Here are two videos that I hope are still active:

Official BMW Adaptive Drive Mode

• Official BMW /M Adaptive Suspension

Hope that helps

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 04:47 PM   #41
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
Hi,

As I was for a while, many of us get confused by Adaptive Driving Mode and Adaptive Suspension. They are two different features. Adaptive Driving Mode affects accelerator response, Suspension & steering. Adaptive Suspension, on the hand, is just Suspension

Here are two videos that I hope are still active:

Official BMW Adaptive Drive Mode

• Official BMW /M Adaptive Suspension

Hope that helps
Thanks. Yeah I get how all of this works. I was just a bit thrown off by the comment "not adaptive AND sport/comfort." AFAIK that isn't even an option one can set.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #42
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

The term "adaptive suspension" is quite misleading, no thanks to BMW. The non-adjustable suspension is most-certainly adaptive. It's mechanically adaptive, and quite clever with the use of tapered rods to provide progressive, non-linear damping.

Electronically-adjustable valving is present in what BMW calls "Adaptive suspension". It, too, is adaptive, but lacks the strong non-linear response of the mechanically adaptive setup.

I've owned multiple cars with both. My current cars include one with "AS" (2021 Supra) and one without (2020 M340i). IMHO, tire and wheel choices are more important than which suspension you have in terms of handling, comfort, and response. That said, I actually prefer the non-electronically-adjustable version. I think its briliant in soaking up small bumps, but having a great sport response when needed.

The biggest factor working against both comfort and sportiness is the god-awful RFTs. Dump them as soon as possible. To Toyota's credit, the Supra was delivered with non-runflats. IMHO. YMMV.
Appreciate 1
urbo7358.00
      05-18-2021, 12:07 PM   #43
petermcs340
ex-2002
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Stupid question. What exactly do you mean by: "you must choose Adaptive OR sport/comfort, not adaptive AND sport/comfort."
An example: you can configure Sport Individual/Driving dynamics to either Sport or Comfort. But not to Adaptive. Adaptive is pretty much a stand-alone setting. A good one, of course, but I'd like to combine it with the Sport settings and can't.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #44
elambo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermcs340 View Post
I'd like to combine it with the Sport settings and can't.
Hear hear! This would be a welcomed option.
Appreciate 0