Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires 18" Staggered Setup & Aftermarket Rims?

02-04-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
KR335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340iX

18" Staggered Setup & Aftermarket Rims?

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that 18" wheels (on a 340ix) are going to be the best option for me on NYC roads, especially since I'm probably going the run-flat route (sigh). I'll get the square setup on all-seasons, but may look to buy a separate summer setup - likely an 18" staggered setup with the same sizes that BMW offers on their OEM winter setup 225/45 fronts and 255/40 rears. Maybe I'll even take a chance and go non-RFTs for the summer months when there are usually fewer potholes.

Has anyone tried an 18" staggered setup? If so, what kind of rims did you go with? I can't find too many aftermarket rims that come in both the 8" (or 7.5") and 9" (or 8.5") widths in 18" diameters. I have found some Sparcos & Flow One Race Specs (on Tire Rack) but not much else. Anyone have any experience with those brands? I'd prefer something like BBS, but haven't yet found the correct size combo.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:22 AM   #2
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

I've read that people regret getting the square setup on the M340, solely because the amount of torque the car produces doesn't bode well with the narrow tires in the rear. Wider tires would provide better traction.

I'm in the NY area too and thinking about the staggered setup for the M340. I'm not going to pay for tire insurance just because I'm anticipating replacing 2-3 tires a year. Non-RFT's are just more durable and I've had too many issues with RFT's.
Appreciate 0