Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 07/2023.53 Software update

11-13-2023, 09:04 AM   #89
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
That’s not accurate. Waze is owned by Google but remains completely independent. You can fact check. You might have also noticed that when using both Waze and Google simultaneously - they won’t always give you the same result.
It is 100% accurate. I can't tell you how I know, but you need to trust me on this one.

And what I said is that the realtime user/community data is combined backend from both apps, not anything about the navigational choices each app makes, most of which is chosen based on preferences selected within each app. And it is the combination of Google/Waze data that makes either/both so accurate.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 09:20 AM   #90
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yea the background is black all the time now. If you go to map settings there’s an option there - see attached photo below. You can set it to “Automatic,” “Day Mode,” or “Night Mode.”
You have iDrive 7. Forcing Night Mode is not an option on iDrive 8.

Quote:
Not sure exactly sure what you mean by “on top of a turn” - I get all the information/direction more than a mile away from my turn or exit.
Exactly. On Google Maps, you get the next turn and exit information 10, 20, 30 miles away, it's always on the screen, you always know what turn is coming next. On BMW Maps, you don't get that. You get ambiguous arrows and/or a countdown in miles to your next turn, that's it. Only when you are on top of a turn- like a mile away- do you find out what it actually is, what the road you are actually about to enter, like a surprise on Christmas morning.

Quote:
Further, if there are subsequent turns that are feet from each other, the map shows them both - again, miles away - that way you know what lane to be on with respect to the first turn.
Subsequent quick turns in succession is handled adequately by both platforms. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a significant distance away where BMW inexplicably wants its plans to be a surprise to the driver instead of telling us 10, 20, 30 miles out.

Quote:
And like I said, alternate route pops up right in front of you as soon as 1 or more “better” routes becomes avaialable: you don’t have to go looking for one.
It's not glanceable. You have to look away from the road and tap multiple things. Google Maps puts it right on the display, you glance at the time delta, you decide, and you just turn.

It boggles the mind how you can defend such an old, de-featured map application like BMW Maps. We like what we like I guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 09:38 AM   #91
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
It is 100% accurate. I can't tell you how I know, but you need to trust me on this one.

And what I said is that the realtime user/community data is combined backend from both apps, not anything about the navigational choices each app makes, most of which is chosen based on preferences selected within each app. And it is the combination of Google/Waze data that makes either/both so accurate.
I can’t tell you how I know either but this is public information and shouldn’t be a source of debate. Just Google it yourself - takes literally a minute. Waze does not use the Google Maps platform and maintains its own database, with a public editor here: waze.com/editor. And like I said, it also maintains its own routing algorithm for driving.

Yes they share RTTI but what good is it if it can’t be displayed on the app: police traps, etc. Waze/Google do not have a monopoly on RTTI because I get about the same information from iDrive as I do from Waze running in the background. So there’s nothing special there. In fact I get certain alerts from iDrive that I never do from Waze; for example “uneven pavement ahead.” I run Waze to provide me with other alerts, such as police traps, that are lacking on any other apps. Perfect complement to each other.

Anyway this isn’t going anywhere - like I said it doesn’t matter what one chooses as long as it works. I’m sticking with iDrive nav because it has everything I expect from a map coming from Waze.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 09:54 AM   #92
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not glanceable. You have to look away from the road and tap multiple things. Google Maps puts it right on the display, you glance at the time delta, you decide, and you just turn.

It boggles the mind how you can defend such an old, de-featured map application like BMW Maps. We like what we like I guess.
iDrive shows a time delta for alternate routes. It’s possible iD8 doesn’t - my experiences are based on iD7. Usually the fastest alternate route is displayed first on the list. You don’t do anything other than tap the knob on the center console.

As for next turn showing 20, 30 miles away that isn’t a deal-breaker for me. Waze doesn’t do that - at least for me. Could also just be a setting thing. The most important thing is I get notified with ample notice what lane I need to be on. I’ve never been surprised and never missed a turn/exit so not sure what you’re talking about. I don’t need that kind of information 40 miles away - just seems redundant. But hey, if that’s a big deal for you, that’s fine. I get announcements like “continue on the road for 20 miles” and that’s probably all I need until the next direction.

RE: de-featured map - this is a public forum so when you make such statements it’s helpful to cite your sources otherwise you might inadvertently be spreading misinformation. I’m not aware of iDrive map been defeatured (I might have to check it out); what I know is that it uses HERE map in the backend and I’m not precisely sure what practical features count as defeatured - this is coming from someone who has been using Waze from day1.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 02:09 PM   #93
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

This is dumb. People use the maps system that they like the most…the end. You only need to use the power of the internet via google with just a hint of deductive reasoning to realize this question has been posed on multiple websites between multiple nav apps for literally years upon years, with no end in sight, and flamewars on all sides.

Can we keep this thread to about the software update itself please.
Appreciate 3
zlatko117.50
lnlyssg58.00
E__F6.00
      11-13-2023, 02:54 PM   #94
RIneuron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 330ix

Got the update two days ago and installed without a problem. No issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 08:37 PM   #95
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Yes they share RTTI
Thank you. And as such, the shared database makes Google/Waze significantly more accurate than BMW Maps when it comes to alternate routing which was my point from the jump.

I live in a massive metropolis where these details matter. Perhaps you don't. Drive safely.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 08:43 PM   #96
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. And as such, the shared database makes Google/Waze significantly more accurate than BMW Maps when it comes to alternate routing which was my point from the jump.

I live in a massive metropolis where these details matter. Perhaps you don't. Drive safely.
Okay - if that makes you happy
Drive safe.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 08:53 PM   #97
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
iDrive shows a time delta for alternate routes. It’s possible iD8 doesn’t - my experiences are based on iD7. Usually the fastest alternate route is displayed first on the list. You don’t do anything other than tap the knob on the center console.
And with CarPlay using Google Maps, you don't need to go to any list or tap anything. In realtime, each major (and sometimes minor) highway you cross shows a little speech bubble telling you if you go that way it will be x minutes faster or x minutes slower or cost X dollars more for tolls. It's incredibly useful information when you live in a major city with dozens of different ways to get to your destination. And it's all glanceable, no need to tap or spin anything.

Quote:
As for next turn showing 20, 30 miles away that isn’t a deal-breaker for me. Waze doesn’t do that - at least for me. Could also just be a setting thing. The most important thing is I get notified with ample notice what lane I need to be on. I’ve never been surprised and never missed a turn/exit so not sure what you’re talking about. I don’t need that kind of information 40 miles away - just seems redundant. But hey, if that’s a big deal for you, that’s fine.
The big deal is that BMW Maps isn't disclosing to the driver what the next turn is 20 miles ahead. It's keeping it a secret. If I'm headed down to Philadelphia, I want to know if my nav is 1) taking me on the NJ Turnpike or the Garde State Parkway before I'm on top of the intersection of both and 2) I want to know what the time penalty is if I choose one over the other. This happens daily, all over the area, again and again, so having a quick non-contact non-distracting way of getting all this information it's a major win. For me. Maybe not you.

Quote:
RE: de-featured map - this is a public forum so when you make such statements it’s helpful to cite your sources otherwise you might inadvertently be spreading misinformation. I’m not aware of iDrive map been defeatured
I've cited the examples multiple times in this thread. When I was forced to use BMW Maps for a week in August due to BMW firmware issues it was like I was using a stick-on suction-cup Garmin in 2004. A ton of missing information, important features buried in submenus, mysteriously being taken wherever BMW wanted me to without disclosing turns before it was too late to consider an alternate, some crazy 'arrows' display that only appears between the gauges, a UI so unintuitive it took me a few minutes to figure out how to end a trip, no always-dark mode, streets shown without street names, and some crazy 3D view where 1/3 of the screen shows a cartoon sky out of the Simpsons. So there's your source.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 10:48 PM   #98
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Bro needs to stop whining. Jesus, it’s not that serious that some people prefer a different mapping service than you. Not gonna at mention because it’s obvs. Just chill that not everyone likes the same thing.
Appreciate 2
      11-14-2023, 10:16 AM   #99
markonline007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

That font, especially in the heads up display warning messages is giving me Volvo vibes.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 01:28 PM   #100
chrish_22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i

Has anyone else experienced issues with comfort access after the update? I've had my car for about 3-4 months now and I've only had lock/unlock issues maybe twice since, but ever since the update, I've had issues with comfort locking/unlocking maybe once every few days....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 01:42 PM   #101
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish_22 View Post
Has anyone else experienced issues with comfort access after the update? I've had my car for about 3-4 months now and I've only had lock/unlock issues maybe twice since, but ever since the update, I've had issues with comfort locking/unlocking maybe once every few days....
Interesting. I am still on 03/2022 and I have comfort [un]lock issue once in a blue moon. It’s probably happened 2 - 3 times this year. Another reason for me to hold off on updating — what version are you on?
Appreciate 1
chrish_22111.00
      11-14-2023, 01:44 PM   #102
chrish_22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i

Quote:
Interesting. I am still on 03/2022 and I have comfort [un]lock issue once in a blue moon. It’s probably happened 2 - 3 times this year. Another reason for me to hold off on updating — what version are you on?
On the latest now, I believe 07/2023.53
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 01:52 PM   #103
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330d Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish_22 View Post
No issues with comfort access for me since update, but I have never experienced these to start with
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 02:57 PM   #104
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
No issues with comfort access for me since update, but I have never experienced these to start with
It’s more common than you might think; you’re lucky if it’s never happened to you.

I have auto mirror folding and the audible sound - both of which go off after the vehicle auto-locks while walking away from the car. There have been a couple of occasions this year when I didn’t hear the mirror fold and the audible beep after walking away: sure enough the car didn’t lock. So it’s nice having those cues for when the car develops a mind of its own
Appreciate 2
chrish_22111.00
zlatko117.50
      11-24-2023, 10:00 AM   #105
JITH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M440i

Ok..... I found my bug.... after update. If I use the Valet option at turning off the car, when I put my password to regain my personal data, etc., the car changes language, turning it to English, from Spanish....
Appreciate 0