Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK G20 330i laser lights

10-27-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
rodc271
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 330i M Sport Pro

I have a Sep '20 built 330i M Sport Pro with laser lights.

When driving in full auto mode on a dark stretch of road, I can't tell any difference when going from 30mph to well beyond 40mph in the high beam output (blue high beam indicator lit).

Is there anyway to actually tell if/when the laser high beams activate?
      10-29-2020, 05:02 AM   #2
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

If it's a dark road at 30mph they will already be on full I thought
(I'm thinking country lane - are you referring to say a road through a village at night?)
      10-29-2020, 07:44 AM   #3
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

If I remember correctly, they are only enabled over 37mph.

In auto mode, as soon as the blue light appears on the dash, HBA is active and doing it's thing.

There is a marked contrast when they are on and off so not sure why you aren't seeing any difference.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
rodc271
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 330i M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
If I remember correctly, they are only enabled over 37mph.

In auto mode, as soon as the blue light appears on the dash, HBA is active and doing it's thing.

There is a marked contrast when they are on and off so not sure why you aren't seeing any difference.
Thanks both.

Was on a country road, no street lights or villages.

Tried slowing down to around 30mph, then speeding up, still not easy to tell the difference.

Going back in to the dealer early Nov as the roof unit that performs gesture control has never worked since delivery and will get them to run a check.
      10-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #5
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodc271 View Post
I have a Sep '20 built 330i M Sport Pro with laser lights.

When driving in full auto mode on a dark stretch of road, I can't tell any difference when going from 30mph to well beyond 40mph in the high beam output (blue high beam indicator lit).

Is there anyway to actually tell if/when the laser high beams activate?
If I’m right (from previously reading the manual), the laser element only comes in approx 40mph and above, and only if in a non built up area like a country road.
You don’t see any difference in colour or anything if that’s what you’re expecting? But it’s obvious to see the difference from normal beam to high beam like in any car.

What you do notice is the lights dance around, when a car comes your way or behind a car they alter and dip one side accordingly, actually damn amazing lights!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 04:08 PM   #6
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
This is my experience.

The throw when the lasers engage is massively clear in the same way that taking a photo in the dark flash off/on is.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #7
drykoke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 408 1.2GT

I don't have a G20 but on my F30 xenons, the adaptive high beam only comes on if the left stalk button for HBA has been pressed? Presumably the auto Laser function is activated in the same way. It sometimes takes a little bit of time at the start for the auto high beam to come on, depending on speed of car.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 06:43 AM   #8
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drykoke View Post
I don't have a G20 but on my F30 xenons, the adaptive high beam only comes on if the left stalk button for HBA has been pressed? Presumably the auto Laser function is activated in the same way. It sometimes takes a little bit of time at the start for the auto high beam to come on, depending on speed of car.
Same but G20 has it on again at restart - but not ever. Haven't worked out if it is 10 times for example.
      11-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #9
Big Paul 7
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G20 M Sport +

It might be a simple / stupid suggestion, but I found that not only do the lights need to be on "Auto" setting but HBA needs to be activated by pressing the lower of the small buttons on the end of the indicator stalk.
If and when the laser lights start to do their thing there is certainly no confusion regarding whether or not they are working. I think they are fantastic.
It took me a while (and still is) to understand how everything works. I sometimes even revert to the handbook!!!
Appreciate 0