Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals G20 Renderings Ahead of Next Generation of JOY Beginning This Weekend

08-05-2018, 05:00 PM   #111
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew_larson View Post
Please BMW send more wagons and m variant models/ diesel models to the states. Wagon looks killer
Diesel's are dead !

Get ready for a 100% Electric 3er.
Jeez who on earth wants to drive a BMW tractor?! I do more miles than than cut-over at which diesel becomes more cost-effective and I'm happy to pay the extra for fuel.
Appreciate 2
nozydog465.00
      08-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #112
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupojava View Post
Scott26 has been a BMW insider for a long time.

Anyway, hoping that's a M340i
BMW 330i with M Sport Packet.
The M40i/M40d are identified by their trapezoid shaped exhaust ports similar to X3 and X4 M40i/M40d.
      08-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #113
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo96 View Post
Honestly Im not so sure if he really is, the character lines are right as well as the back of the touring but the face is all wrong. The previous bimmerpost rendering was much more accurate. He's also gotten a lot wrong in the past, like the Bayerische Motoren Werke black and white logo that was supposed to be on the 8er and x5, he even called it a propellor. Its not a propellor, its the Bavarian flag, that is BMW 101 that he got wrong.
Please tell me or point me in the right direction of the Bayerische Motoren Werke black badge. I have only insinuated that Bayern Motoren Werke only applies to the marketing of cars that will be presented under this luxury branding.

They still remain BMW's but are marketed under exclusive branding splitting the core models from the luxury portfolio.
This was actually announced by myself when BMW unveiled their Vision Future Luxury Concept in 2014 where I talked about the split of the range to separate the luxury branded models.

This is now what is happening. It took four years but in the end they did need the cars to allow it to happen which is why The 7,The 8 and The X7 are under this brand with more models to be applied including The M8.
      08-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #114
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

When will these pre-production reviews be out SCOTT26? It was meant to be Sunday, but it is now Monday here!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 12:08 AM   #115
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
When will these pre-production reviews be out SCOTT26? It was meant to be Sunday, but it is now Monday here!
Not much next gen of joy this weekend then
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 02:44 AM   #116
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Quote:
Not much next gen of joy this weekend then
Nope, pretty disappointing! :
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 02:45 AM   #117
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
patiently waiting

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 04:06 AM   #118
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
In pure stock form, your 340 represents about 5 significant improvements to the car's suspension from its release in 2012. If you drove an early build 2013 335 like I did, you would see it for the POS it really was. Your 340 is another car entirely compared to the early build F30 335's. Trust me, I know....
The very reason I'd be hugely hesitant to order a new G20!!!

What evidence is there that BMW won't make exactly the same mistake again and produce a second rate car that will require revision after revision over the next 5 years before it's comes up to the mark???

I guess only extensive test drives will tell...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 05:57 AM   #119
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300zhp View Post
In pure stock form, your 340 represents about 5 significant improvements to the car's suspension from its release in 2012. If you drove an early build 2013 335 like I did, you would see it for the POS it really was. Your 340 is another car entirely compared to the early build F30 335's. Trust me, I know....
The very reason I'd be hugely hesitant to order a new G20!!!

What evidence is there that BMW won't make exactly the same mistake again and produce a second rate car that will require revision after revision over the next 5 years before it's comes up to the mark???

I guess only extensive test drives will tell...
I agree. Extensive test drives will tell if BMW makes this mistake again. However, based on my experience driving the new x3 and 5 loaners, it appears that BMW is back to making cars for drivers and that they quit the German Lexus experiment. In this era of intense competition, lower residuals and higher money factors/finance rates, BMW cannot afford to mess up the G20.
nozydog465.00
      08-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #120
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Elegant but...

Ultimately Deja Vu.

BMW; the C class become prominent through a design driven push. This car while classically BMW is frankly not a jump in design.

I know this is a critical segment but in a time where there so many exciting offerings from the competition, doesn’t BMW want to be making a stunner to stand out?

Dealing with multi brands in the automotive segment, overwhelmingly the feedback from customers has design as top 3 priority and this car needs a little more in my humble opinion to wow its buyers.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #121
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
Ultimately Deja Vu.

BMW; the C class become prominent through a design driven push. This car while classically BMW is frankly not a jump in design.

I know this is a critical segment but in a time where there so many exciting offerings from the competition, doesn’t BMW want to be making a stunner to stand out?

Dealing with multi brands in the automotive segment, overwhelmingly the feedback from customers has design as top 3 priority and this car needs a little more in my humble opinion to wow its buyers.
I, like many other drivers, prefer an understated design language and we haven't actually seen this car yet!! I wouldn't move to MB as the brand has never really appealed to me and their new single flat screen dashboard is (to my eyes) horrible, lacking any driver focussed appeal

That said, I do agree they could be a little more adventurous in the design studio!! Maybe they should hire some French or Italian design students!!
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #122
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Jeez who on earth wants to drive a BMW tractor?! I do more miles than than cut-over at which diesel becomes more cost-effective and I'm happy to pay the extra for fuel.
Tractor?
BMW builds some of the most refined and sporty diesels.
Obviously, you have no idea what are you talking about.
Low fuel consumption, A LOT more mileage per liter of fuel, A LOT of Torque, Longevity, are just few attributes of a diesel. In many ways, way superior to gas.
Obviously you never owned one. You should try it, you might be surprised...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #123
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by nano10 View Post
So agree with you. Chris Bangle FTW, as much as everyone bagged on him he really defined his time and did a great job distinguishing the difference series. I saw an e60 m5 on the road today and man do they still look muscular! E46 best looking M of all time!!
Exactly...
E46 M3 is really nice, you never get bored of this shape.
since you mentioned e60 M5, I loved that too...it doesn't look very big, looks sporty and of course muscular !!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #124
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Quote:
Tractor?
Low fuel consumption, A LOT more mileage per liter of fuel, A LOT of Torque, Longevity, are just few attributes of a diesel. In many ways, way superior to gas.
Obviously? : I had a 330d for 3 years and other make diesels/petrols before that, so I'm not a virgin.

All diesels sound harsh, it's a fact of life.

My view is I'd rather have a petrol and pay more for fuel, stop more often to fill up but get a nicer-sounding, higher-revving engine than something that has a lot of low-end shove and sounds shit.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #125
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Tractor?
Obviously? : I had a 330d for 3 years and other make diesels/petrols before that, so I'm not a virgin.

My view is I'd rather have a petrol and pay more for fuel, stop more often to fill up but get a nicer-sounding, higher-revving engine than something that has a lot of low-end shove and sounds shit.
Most of 4cyl either gas or diesel sound like crap so in that case I prefer to get the cheaper to run. In the case of a inline 6 it's another story.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #126
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Tractor?
I owned a 320d.... horrible engine! Great on paper sure, but absolutely zero sonic character! Now my 340i.... different ball game!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 12:44 AM   #127
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Tractor?

Most of 4cyl either gas or diesel sound like crap so in that case I prefer to get the cheaper to run. In the case of a inline 6 it's another story.
330d (inline 6) also sounded horrible, hence my move to a 340i. The torque and rapid initial pace is exciting to begin with but the engine noise was something I was very glad to get rid of.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #128
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
I owned a 320d.... horrible engine! Great on paper sure, but absolutely zero sonic character! Now my 340i.... different ball game!
In addition to lack of sonic character, there's also a refinement problem. It never feels smooth enough for me, since it gives too much power at the bottom revs and declines rapidly on high revs, unlike the gasoline engine where the power is going up smoothly from bottom to top. I would definitely prefer an i4 330i to i6 330d.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #129
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
In addition to lack of sonic character, there's also a refinement problem. It never feels smooth enough for me, since it gives too much power at the bottom revs and declines rapidly on high revs, unlike the gasoline engine where the power is going up smoothly from bottom to top. I would definitely prefer an i4 330i to i6 330d.
Me too, in fact were I to go down the G20 route, I think the 330i would be where I'd put my money!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #130
SpenceRx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Very nice but I'll reserve judgement.

This car better be good. The 3-Series still pays the bills for BMW. I hope they bring back the handling and prowess that was lost in the F30 era.
I agree. I'm on my 5th three series. Back in the day BMW was always ahead in my aspects. I feel like since the e90 other brands have really caught up. BMW isn't going to be able to charge the premium they do unless they can innovate ahead of the pack.
      08-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #131
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceRx View Post
I agree. I'm on my 5th three series. Back in the day BMW was always ahead in my aspects. I feel like since the e90 other brands have really caught up. BMW isn't going to be able to charge the premium they do unless they can innovate ahead of the pack.
I’m also on my 5th 3 series!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #132
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:
I’m also on my 5th 3 series!
I'm on my 4th one

Next will be M340i, M4, or (don't hit me) Audi S5 Sportback. There's so much competition these days that even Audis look appealing.
Appreciate 0