Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK m340i exhaust options

09-14-2020, 02:31 PM   #1
FrankMartin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m340i Touring

m340i exhaust options

Hi all,

I have a 340i touring arriving in a couple of months. The car really impressed on the test drive but one area it could improve is the exhaust noise. The demo car I drove had a relatively low mileage, and I'd be interested to know whether it opens up a bit when run in properly?

I know the OPF in these restricts the noise, but are there any options out there yet to make it a bit more lively? I'm not after anything too boy racer or anti social, just a bit more noise when in sport mode would be nice. I would also prefer to keep the standard fake exhaust tips to keep it as low key as possible visually.

Is there anything out there yet that would fit this criteria?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

I think it does get a little bit louder over time but I've only covered just over 2000 miles in mine. I tend to hear more engine noise than anything else.

There are a few exhaust options out there, they're all north of £2000. ACS, Bastuck, Eisenmann and Supersprint do systems. I too would like to keep the existing exhaust trims for the understated look, the ones I just mentioned are all quad pipes so would need to take an angle grinder to a new/expensive exhaust.

Stone exhaust look like they might do a system which would fit behind the current exhaust trims.

Welcome to the club!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320D 2019, current M340i

I believe there are a few out there. Ac schnitzer rings a bell but I think it's around £2500. I think it's the only aftermarket exhaust that meets the new EU exhaust regulations.
I have also found out that bmw have a software update this year that reduces the pops/burbles.
Maybe others can expand on if I'm correct as I'm not 100% sure.

Can't seem to copy the YouTube link for the scnitzner zner exhaust but if you search m340i ac schnitzer.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Tony Lewis at Berry BMW Heathrow has a demo M340i with our exhaust on if you want to take a look.

Further details on the exhaust here.

https://shop.ac-schnitzer.co.uk/quad...rom-9998-p.asp
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 07:34 AM   #5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMartin View Post
Hi all,

I have a 340i touring arriving in a couple of months. The car really impressed on the test drive but one area it could improve is the exhaust noise. The demo car I drove had a relatively low mileage, and I'd be interested to know whether it opens up a bit when run in properly?

I know the OPF in these restricts the noise, but are there any options out there yet to make it a bit more lively? I'm not after anything too boy racer or anti social, just a bit more noise when in sport mode would be nice. I would also prefer to keep the standard fake exhaust tips to keep it as low key as possible visually.

Thanks
I understand the keeping the flap open all the time, by unplugging the sensor trick works on the m340 as it did on the 340i. This obviously won't help if sports mode is too quiet mind you.
Remus also do an exhaust for the m340 but that is a quad pipe look as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:01 PM   #6
DarrenM69
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: "Future" 340i Touring owner

What about PCW exhaust mods, might be worth a call see what he can offer as does loads of newer BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

https://r44performance.co.uk/product...patibility_0-2

Exhaust tips
£359.98 for 4 claimed compatability with M340i
Have emailed them

Clearly not a sound improvement option but I'm not a fan of the 'Exhaust Finishers'
      09-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
FrankMartin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanli722 View Post
I think it does get a little bit louder over time but I've only covered just over 2000 miles in mine. I tend to hear more engine noise than anything else.

There are a few exhaust options out there, they're all north of £2000. ACS, Bastuck, Eisenmann and Supersprint do systems. I too would like to keep the existing exhaust trims for the understated look, the ones I just mentioned are all quad pipes so would need to take an angle grinder to a new/expensive exhaust.

Stone exhaust look like they might do a system which would fit behind the current exhaust trims.

Welcome to the club!
Thanks, can't say I have heard of the Stone exhausts, but like that it keeps the existing trims. I really don't like the quad aftermarket look, and especially if that costs over £2k just for a back box!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:44 PM   #9
FrankMartin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
Tony Lewis at Berry BMW Heathrow has a demo M340i with our exhaust on if you want to take a look.

Further details on the exhaust here.

https://shop.ac-schnitzer.co.uk/quad...rom-9998-p.asp
Thanks, can you confirm it is just a back box? £3,300 seems a lot for a back box, but i'll reserve judgment until I've heard it in person, and no doubt Joe Achilles will do a video on it
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:52 PM   #10
FrankMartin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenM69 View Post
What about PCW exhaust mods, might be worth a call see what he can offer as does loads of newer BMW's.
Yes I have heard of them, might be worth a look as I think they don't always change the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
I understand the keeping the flap open all the time, by unplugging the sensor trick works on the m340 as it did on the 340i. This obviously won't help if sports mode is too quiet mind you.
Remus also do an exhaust for the m340 but that is a quad pipe look as well.
Interesting thanks. I ideally I would like something that remains tame in comfort, so would like to maintain the valves.

According to the Milltek facebook page, they are also developing something, so at least there will options.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #11
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanli722 View Post

Welcome to the club!
Thanks, can't say I have heard of the Stone exhausts, but like that it keeps the existing trims. I really don't like the quad aftermarket look, and especially if that costs over £2k just for a back box!
Not heard of stone exhausts either but MLPerformance were announced they were a UK stockists so will have to see in the future with regards to the price etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #12
john!smith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i XDrive

with a downpipe and flaps open you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:41 AM   #13
DarrenM69
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: "Future" 340i Touring owner

Quote:
Yes I have heard of them, might be worth a look as I think they don't always change the tips.

They keep it looking totally OEM, literally just "adjust" the internals.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:14 AM   #14
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaz View Post
https://r44performance.co.uk/product...patibility_0-2

Exhaust tips
£359.98 for 4 claimed compatability with M340i
Have emailed them

Clearly not a sound improvement option but I'm not a fan of the 'Exhaust Finishers'
4 single tips clearly not an option from 2 pipes(!)
      09-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #15
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Thanks, can you confirm it is just a back box? £3,300 seems a lot for a back box, but i'll reserve judgment until I've heard it in person, and no doubt Joe Achilles will do a video on it
It is a back box, connecting pipes and carbon tailpipes, yes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 07:31 AM   #16
jumperjohn
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X-Drive

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks
Hello. Someone quoted here to disconnect the exhaust flap signal wire, located on the drivers side rear exhaust. I have done this and the flap stays open and it's a great free modification for more noise. On start in comfort its loud and settles to a hum. Driving comfort is good until you press the peddle in any mode and it sounds great. It's worth trying as once you've done it I think it's enough. An after market exhaust could become annoying and spoil the relaxed drive when you want to cover motorway miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 12:50 PM   #17
truekumar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW x£

I too am looking for more pops and bangs and little more grunt from my stock M340i exhaust. I considered the ACS quads but at over £3.5k, I think I will consider other options.

Im looking at the Milltek options. What does everyone reccomend for better sound? Not bothered about power but wouldn't mind quads. Also what implications would this have on the warranty for the vehicle? I know ACS have full warranty compliant systems, but what about Milltek?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 12:58 PM   #18
truekumar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone know what the difference is between these two systems? One requires a remap and the other doesn't:

https://milltekshop.com/particulate-...021-ssxbm1159/

https://milltekshop.com/cat-back-opf...021-ssxbm1163/
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 11:38 AM   #19
FrankMartin
Enlisted Member
Rep

One of them is an OPF bypass, and expect that requires a remap to configure for that bypass, whereas the other does not bypass the OPF. Thats my guess.

It would be good to hear what these sound like, as they are half the price of the ACS like for like. Plus they also offer it keeping the OEM tips for even less money, which I like to keep it low profile.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 05:05 AM   #20
truekumar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
One of them is an OPF bypass, and expect that requires a remap to configure for that bypass, whereas the other does not bypass the OPF. Thats my guess.

It would be good to hear what these sound like, as they are half the price of the ACS like for like. Plus they also offer it keeping the OEM tips for even less money, which I like to keep it low profile.
Yes same here, I would love to hear the cheaper option without the OPF bypass.

I have found this post that gives some indication of potential sound:

https://www.facebook.com/Milltek/posts/3216732285074627
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 05:35 AM   #21
truekumar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Are there any other options out there in the UK, apart from the Milltek ones?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 06:46 AM   #22
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by truekumar View Post
Yes same here, I would love to hear the cheaper option without the OPF bypass.

I have found this post that gives some indication of potential sound:

https://www.facebook.com/Milltek/posts/3216732285074627
These sound pretty good. I wished they had a non OPF stock tip option for the 330i.
Appreciate 0