Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Wingmirror quality

07-15-2022, 08:06 AM   #1
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Wingmirror quality

A few days ago I was driving down a norrowish banked country lane overhung with trees, allowing traffic in each direction but with reasonable care, so I was proceeding at about 20mph.
A car going the opposite direction passed me when there a traffic bang I immediatly thought a branch had fallen on the roof when I noticed my offside wing mirror was closed with the mirror hanging out suspended by the internal wiring.
I immediatly thought that was £700 or more gone. I tried to do a layby repair but with no luck, I had no string or tape in the car so I had to return home with a dangling mirror.
So, so at home had a look and the internal plastic parts showed no signs of obvious damage and with a bit of fiddling and a hard push on the mirror it clicked back into place and amazingly everything still worked as it should and the outer casing shows no signs of damage or scratches!
Phew! Was I relieved!
The wing mirror assembly is for sure of good design and quality to withstand that blow, albeit ejecting the mirror, but the wiring and plugs stood up to my journey home!
Well done BMW!
Perhaps I will go for the LCI uplift after all, hold on my BH's about!
Appreciate 2
      08-01-2022, 06:10 AM   #2
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Slightly off topic…

I folded my mirrors in whilst pulled up but forgot to open them again once I drove off, only for them to automatically fold out once I had reached a certain speed. Neat.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 06:19 PM   #3
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGrey View Post
Slightly off topic…

I folded my mirrors in whilst pulled up but forgot to open them again once I drove off, only for them to automatically fold out once I had reached a certain speed. Neat.
Yup! About 30mph/50kph if I remember rightly. My late father used to let them do it themselves every time because he couldn’t e arsed to press a button!
Appreciate 0