Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion what could have caused this 2-month-old BMW i7 to catch fire? Is it the battery?

02-16-2024, 01:37 PM   #45
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
One major battery break through will cause a lot of people and companies to lose a lot of money. Current EV's are likely to be the buggy whips of the 2020's.
my great-great-grandfather was the owner of a huge men's hat manufacturer. At one point, his factory was making almost 700,000 hats each year. Strangely, they never made women's hats.

As my great-grandfather told me when I was a kid, more than 99% of men wore hats everywhere back then.(pre-1900) Just like horses and buggy whips, hats disappeared from everyday life. (no, baseball caps don't count)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 05:36 PM   #46
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
One major battery break through will cause a lot of people and companies to lose a lot of money. Current EV's are likely to be the buggy whips of the 2020's.
Such over the top scare mongering.

As they say in auto sales there is always a butt for every seat.

There is no battery breakthrough that will have drivable cars going to the wrecking yards. Nor losing a people a "LOT" of money. Businesses will learn improve and pivot.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 06:42 PM   #47
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
Such over the top scare mongering.
What fear mongering? If cheaper solid state batteries or similar technology that offered double the mileage and half the charge time with no issue with fires, your current crop of EV's will be paper weights. I guess you can buy on the dip.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 07:12 PM   #48
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Eh, doesn't have to be one side or the other. I think that happens but it's unfortunate.

They work for some people (probably more people than people realize), but they don't work for everyone. Price is a thing, new and used. Long term cost of fuel vs electrons is a thing. What one has access to for charging. How often you actually tow or take a road trip. Your weather. The ability to get an EV repaired if you have an issue. Reliability of a product that's both new and established at the same time.

It's a complicated subject, there's no right or wrong. Some people should own them, some should not. Government can push a little but most would agree push less than they are right now. Anyone with a firm side that can only see the good or the bad is certainly fooling themselves.
I actually agree with this completely. My "smoke and mirrors" angle was more about government/politician/industry hype, promises, and propaganda, and then mandates based on all of that, vs. reality.

I see right through that and it really irks me, but as for the cars themselves, I actually like EV's and think they're pretty cool. I have no problem with them existing or even being a "thing". If there was one that suited my needs I'd consider one.
Appreciate 1