Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Braking not smooth

05-31-2021, 06:11 PM   #1
JFray23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 xdrive28i X1

Braking not smooth

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey all, just picked up my 21 330i xDrive out of state and didn't do any city driving until I got back home. I noticed that the 3-2-1 downshifts while braking are very bumpy, creating a condition where it's impossible to brake smoothly. Also notice that the 1-2-3 up shifts are also a little more pronounced and then 4-8 are smooth. This was in comfort mode and didn't test Eco or Sport. Is this a characteristic of the car or do I already need to book my first service appointment lol.

Otherwise fantastic car and huge upgrade over the F series. Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and hope it smooths out with more miles. Currently 260 miles on the car, all interstate cruising 70-85 and only one blip to 5000 RPM due to idiot drivers. Thanks again all!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 06:38 PM   #2
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFray23 View Post
Hey all, just picked up my 21 330i xDrive out of state and didn't do any city driving until I got back home. I noticed that the 3-2-1 downshifts while braking are very bumpy, creating a condition where it's impossible to brake smoothly. Also notice that the 1-2-3 up shifts are also a little more pronounced and then 4-8 are smooth. This was in comfort mode and didn't test Eco or Sport. Is this a characteristic of the car or do I already need to book my first service appointment lol.

Otherwise fantastic car and huge upgrade over the F series. Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and hope it smooths out with more miles. Currently 260 miles on the car, all interstate cruising 70-85 and only one blip to 5000 RPM due to idiot drivers. Thanks again all!!!
Congrats on new ride!

My previous car was 2013 F30 328i, now 2021 G20 330i, both with ZF 8AT and RWD.

The G20 AT shifts up and down smoothly just like F30.

Do note in both cars, full kickdown can be jerky, so just ease in 3/4 and once turbo is spooled up, then go full throttle.

Maybe the xDrive works differently?:dunno:
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 06:55 PM   #3
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1699844
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 07:16 PM   #4
JFray23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Are you still experiencing this and is it considered normal? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 07:17 PM   #5
JFray23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Quote:

Congrats on new ride!

Do note in both cars, full kickdown can be jerky, so just ease in 3/4 and once turbo is spooled up, then go full throttle.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Congrats on new ride!

Yes I notice that when coasting from 20mph even without physically applying the brake that the engine braking on the downshift will cause the RPM's to go up around 400 RPM which causes that bump feeling.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 10:29 PM   #6
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well. Either I've learnt how to modulate the brakes or it isn't happening as much anymore. And my brake pads probably have worn a bit too. I guess all of that helps?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
JFray2359.00
      05-31-2021, 11:03 PM   #7
JFray23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well. Either I've learnt how to modulate the brakes or it isn't happening as much anymore. And my brake pads probably have worn a bit too. I guess all of that helps?
Quote:
Quote:
Yah it's an odd sensation for sure. I'll see what happens over the next few hundred miles and go from there. Thanks for your insight. I didn't see many posts on this but there are some folks from 19 on so glad it's not just me.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #8
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i DravitGrau / Cognac

I may be wrong, but ZF 8 speed auto is not exactly sequential, in 'auto' it may skip gears and shift directly in to optimal gear under circumstance and this may account for being "jerky".
Appreciate 2
JFray2359.00
      06-01-2021, 10:29 AM   #9
JFray23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero7000 View Post
I may be wrong, but ZF 8 speed auto is not exactly sequential, in 'auto' it may skip gears and shift directly in to optimal gear under circumstance and this may account for being "jerky".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero7000 View Post
It's actually the engine braking...if I'm coasting to a stop sign without braking, the 3-2 and 2-1 downshifts in the automatic are a little aggressive I would say and you can noticeably feel it. Then when you add in depressing the brake pedal while the engine braking downshifts are occurring, it makes for some jerky stops
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #10
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

I would imagine that it will also depend on the driving mode you're in, no? If you're in say Sport Plus (not sure if you have it on your car) or even Sport mode, it's going to tend to be more aggressive and hold RPMs longer, even when engine braking I think. I could be wrong but that's the feeling I get though I rarely drive anything but Sport (Individual) mode in my M340i. The 330i may be different.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 11:08 AM   #11
JFray23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
I would imagine that it will also depend on the driving mode you're in, no? If you're in say Sport Plus (not sure if you have it on your car) or even Sport mode, it's going to tend to be more aggressive and hold RPMs longer, even when engine braking I think. I could be wrong but that's the feeling I get though I rarely drive anything but Sport (Individual) mode in my M340i. The 330i may be different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Yah I would expect some of that in sport or sport +, but unfortunately this is occurring in comfort mode. I'll just have to see how it performs in the coming weeks and if it doesn't smooth out I'll just take it in and have them check it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #12
lsbuffs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i

I have about 3K miles on mine, and for the life of me cannot get a completely smooth stop. I was going to have them check out the brake pads the next time I go in for service. Reading through this and the related threads, seems to be tranny-related so probably won't bring it up.
I've had two F30s and never experienced this.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 01:02 PM   #13
JFray23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbuffs View Post
I have about 3K miles on mine, and for the life of me cannot get a completely smooth stop. I was going to have them check out the brake pads the next time I go in for service. Reading through this and the related threads, seems to be tranny-related so probably won't bring it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbuffs View Post
Doesn't it suck. You'll have to watch your tach when you feel the jerks as I guarantee it's on the downshifts from 3-2 and 2-1 while you are braking.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 11:22 PM   #14
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

It is the gearbox and not the brakes that cause the jerks. The reason I mentioned me learning to modulate the brake pedal better or my brake pads wearing out is because that also helps when slowing down. If the brakes grab well and the gearbox causes slight jerks when downshifting, the net result (car jerking) is compounded. If the pads don't grab as well but the gearbox still jerks, it isn't as bad. If that makes any sense.

And yes. I paid attention today while driving. The jerks are present but I believe I've gotten used to it. Plus, like I mentioned before, I've learnt how to modulate the brake pedal better. But I do notice it in sport + and when rolling up to a red light that suddenly turns green and me getting back on the throttle, the gearbox does get confused a bit and causes the car to jerk.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 11:49 PM   #15
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Maybe I have been driving with a BMW-tuned ZF 8AT gearbox for 8+ yrs and 80k+ miles, so the brake + 8AT oddities become second nature ....

Both feel smooth and predictable(esp. 8AT as intuitive as MT!) to me on current 2021 330i.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #16
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

I will admit that my M340i feels more grabby on the brakes than previous cars. It is difficult to get a completely smooth stop, but I've accepted it as normal. On top of that, in Comfort and ECO-PRO mode, the engine will sometimes cut out prior to stopping, which creates a coasting situation. It's a weird sensation to basically lose power, but it's completely normal. For the kind of performance this car offers, it doesn't bother me.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #17
JFray23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post
I will admit that my M340i feels more grabby on the brakes than previous cars. It is difficult to get a completely smooth stop, but I've accepted it as normal. On top of that, in Comfort and ECO-PRO mode, the engine will sometimes cut out prior to stopping, which creates a coasting situation. It's a weird sensation to basically lose power, but it's completely normal. For the kind of performance this car offers, it doesn't bother me.
Quote:
Yah I feel like the coasting engine braking is on the aggressive side. It feels like it's almost skipping when you are trying to brake and stop. It's almost imperceptible when you are moving fast then go to brake but when you take your foot off the accelerator to and just roll to a stop light those downshift blips are pretty rough in my opinion. I'm taking it in Saturday morning to ride with a tech to see if it's normal but my wife hates it and for me it's just annoying as it feels like I don't know how to smoothly stop my own car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 01:23 PM   #18
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Yah I feel like the coasting engine braking is on the aggressive side. It feels like it's almost skipping when you are trying to brake and stop. It's almost imperceptible when you are moving fast then go to brake but when you take your foot off the accelerator to and just roll to a stop light those downshift blips are pretty rough in my opinion. I'm taking it in Saturday morning to ride with a tech to see if it's normal but my wife hates it and for me it's just annoying as it feels like I don't know how to smoothly stop my own car.
I'm trying not to let small things bother me. It's not perfect, but compared to every other car I've ever owned, it is far superior. The transmission is very smooth when just driving normally, but aggressive and hard when driving more spirited. The brakes are smooth, but grabby. Turn in is fast, even if the steering is a bit of the numb side compared to some of my previous cars. The suspension is sporty without being punishing.

The fact is, we purchased an "M-lite" car with a lot of the characteristics of an M car, but without the hard edge that an M3 comes with. My guess is that the 330i is much more "luxury" oriented, while the M340i is more sporty. I'm ok with this.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 02:03 PM   #19
JFray23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm trying not to let small things bother me. It's not perfect, but compared to every other car I've ever owned, it is far superior. The transmission is very smooth when just driving normally, but aggressive and hard when driving more spirited. The brakes are smooth, but grabby. Turn in is fast, even if the steering is a bit of the numb side compared to some of my previous cars. The suspension is sporty without being punishing.

The fact is, we purchased an "M-lite" car with a lot of the characteristics of an M car, but without the hard edge that an M3 comes with. My guess is that the 330i is much more "luxury" oriented, while the M340i is more sporty. I'm ok with this.
Quote:
Quote:

I agree it's a great car. I've owned a number of BMW's and this is by far my favorite. The interior is great in my opinion. I came from a B9 A4 and while that interior is great, I prefer the BMW. Overall I'm very happy with the purchase and I guess if the braking is the only minor gripe, I'm in good shape. My B9 also had some quirkiness, but that's part of owning a German car lol
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 03:33 PM   #20
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

I am paying extra attention on the issues raised here.

For my G20 330i the one oddity so far is the car tends to carry more speed coasting to a stop than previous F30, so the brakes need to be slightly applied(and they do grip quickly yet smoothly).

My guess is that 330i(without mild hybrid) 8AT is in N while coasting, but the shift lever does not show N.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 04:30 PM   #21
JFray23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

For my G20 330i the one oddity so far is the car tends to carry more speed coasting to a stop than previous F30, so the brakes need to be slightly applied(and they do grip quickly yet smoothly).

My guess is that 330i(without mild hybrid) 8AT is in N while coasting, but the shift lever does not show N.
Quote:

I think the brakes are sufficient for the car but it's the combination of brake application combined with what I would consider overly aggressive engine braking downshifts that make for lumpy stops. There are a few posts surrounding this but not many, which leads me to believe I may have an issue that others aren't experiencing.

My wife just took it to pick up our daughter and she's says I hate how this thing brakes when stopping. I tend to agree with her, but hopefully the technician can confirm one way or the other.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #22
SDKevin
Cone Killer
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i, Ducati 1299S

Drive the car with the paddle shifters, pretty sure it won't do what you are describing, proving it is the auto box engine braking aggressively (probably).
Appreciate 0