Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes KC Design Bracing Review

04-29-2023, 03:35 PM   #1
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

KC Design Bracing Review

Since there are not many reviews and very little data regarding bracing on the G20 chassis, I decided to purchase some to provide feedback for everyone.

My main goal initially was to reduce overall body roll and tighten things up which of course would be best accomplished by installing aftermarket sway bars (H&R). However, due to the intensive labor for this install, I would end up spending around or over $3k for everything. I couldn't justify that especially since I installed sway bars on my G37 myself and they cost me around $400 (totally different car I know).

Long term I will be installing coilovers but that'll happen once I purchase my wheels. I'll do everything at once and get the stance to my liking. So the next place to look was bracing from KC Design.

https://www.tw-kcdesign.com/products/2_53_146/1

KC Design offers a total of 6 braces for the G20 platform listed below:

Front Strut Bar - KC-BR-BM064
Front Member Strut Bar - KC-BR-BM068
Front Lower Bar - KC-BR-BM065
Rear Lower Bar (4-point) - KC-BR-BM066
Rear Lower Bar - KC-BR-BM067
Rear Strut Bar - KC-BR-BM069

I purchased all braces except for the Rear Lower Bar (4-point) KC-BR-BM066. I was concerned this would hit my aftermarket exhaust like my OEM center brace does (which I removed). I perhaps could put thick washers in and longer bolts for the center brace but haven't explored that yet. The brace sits a bit lower and was concerned about reduced ground clearance once I lower the car. It's also the most expensive and largest one, so shipping would have been even more for it.

After talking with KC, I convinced them to give me a small discount, so 5 braces with shipping was $1,115. Shipping was $195.71, so not bad coming from Taiwan. Order was placed April 14th and everything was delivered April 25th via FedEx. Everything was packaged well and no damage. All parts appear to be well made and the matte black finish looks really nice with their logo.

My plan is to install 1 brace at a time and drive the car for several days before installing the next. That way I can see if each brace makes any sort of difference. My thinking is that collectively, having all 5 installed at once will have the greatest effect.

Another goal of this is to determine if the Front Member Strut Bar (which is made by other companies and similar to what you see on some Supras) will fit with an aftermarket intake such as the MST one.

Stay tuned for pictures, install, and reviews!
Appreciate 4
KyK102.50
BroMW0.00
      04-29-2023, 04:57 PM   #2
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowers36 View Post
Since there are not many reviews and very little data regarding bracing on the G20 chassis, I decided to purchase some to provide feedback for everyone.

My main goal initially was to reduce overall body roll and tighten things up which of course would be best accomplished by installing aftermarket sway bars (H&R). However, due to the intensive labor for this install, I would end up spending around or over $3k for everything. I couldn't justify that especially since I installed sway bars on my G37 myself and they cost me around $400 (totally different car I know).

Long term I will be installing coilovers but that'll happen once I purchase my wheels. I'll do everything at once and get the stance to my liking. So the next place to look was bracing from KC Design.

https://www.tw-kcdesign.com/products/2_53_146/1

KC Design offers a total of 6 braces for the G20 platform listed below:

Front Strut Bar - KC-BR-BM064
Front Member Strut Bar - KC-BR-BM068
Front Lower Bar - KC-BR-BM065
Rear Lower Bar (4-point) - KC-BR-BM066
Rear Lower Bar - KC-BR-BM067
Rear Strut Bar - KC-BR-BM069

I purchased all braces except for the Rear Lower Bar (4-point) KC-BR-BM066. I was concerned this would hit my aftermarket exhaust like my OEM center brace does (which I removed). I perhaps could put thick washers in and longer bolts for the center brace but haven't explored that yet. The brace sits a bit lower and was concerned about reduced ground clearance once I lower the car. It's also the most expensive and largest one, so shipping would have been even more for it.

After talking [...]
Gracias amigo!
Appreciate 1
jpowers36218.00
      05-01-2023, 11:32 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for taking the time to post your review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 02:06 PM   #4
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
I can't believe I missed your post. Thanks for being the test mule on these braces. Looking forward to seeing the result of how the car responds after each brace.

Although the sway bars are cost prohibitive, a couple of my HPDE instructors mentioned the sway bar should be the first thing to consider for track vs braces. The car needs to shift the weight more efficiently versus just being stiffer. This I believe is a huge point to find out based on your experience over the next few weeks.
      07-08-2023, 04:37 PM   #5
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Any update jpowers36 ?
I just sent KC Design an inquiry as I wanted to start with the rear 4 point brace as I have the M Perf exhaust and figured it would still clear. Not sure though. I wanted to ask them as well.
      07-08-2023, 09:24 PM   #6
rarincon22
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i XDrive (LCI)

Man i've been waiting to pull the trigger on these as I'm trying to reduce body roll as well on my car.. Any updates??
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 09:57 PM   #7
rarincon22
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i XDrive (LCI)

I see you take your M340 to track days.. I'm looking to start doing the same as well. What would you say are some "must haves" to get the most out of and have a successful track day experience?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2023, 10:28 PM   #8
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarincon22 View Post
I see you take your M340 to track days.. I'm looking to start doing the same as well. What would you say are some "must haves" to get the most out of and have a successful track day experience?
1. Brake pads and brake fluid. The stock pads and fluid don’t hold up. Upgrade to any street/track hybrid compound and upgraded fluid should suffice for learning.

2. Tires. Runflats are horrible on track. Street tire that does ok at the track = PS4S.

3. Pay for an instructor. Some like to hold off on hiring an instructor until after they feel they have hit a plateau. My ideology is to get an instructor from the beginning to avoid hardwiring bad habits.
      07-15-2023, 11:56 PM   #9
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey guys sorry for the delay. I got the rear strut bar installed. It was fairly easy, although I did accidentally strip one of the bolts. I may eventually replace them with hex bolts instead of the torx ones so I can tighten it down further. I’ve driven with it on for a couple months now. I haven’t noticed any real difference on my daily trips with just this one installed. I wasn’t expecting to feel a noticeable difference. I plan on installing the rest here soon when my schedule allows for it. The bar does look cool when you open the trunk. But if you are packing the trunk full for a trip, luggage will hit it. Not a huge deal but just be careful so the finish isn’t dinged up. I didn’t realize until after I installed it that the hooks can be installed with it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-16-2023, 02:30 AM   #10
GD1981
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Nice! I have both the front and rear strut bar from KC Design to go along with Dinan Springs. My next mod will be the Dinan Monoball, and forged apex wheels. My final suspension mod will be replacing the dinan springs for a proper coilover kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 02:53 AM   #11
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey guys sorry for the delay. I got the rear strut bar installed. It was fairly easy, although I did accidentally strip one of the bolts. I may eventually replace them with hex bolts instead of the torx ones so I can tighten it down further. I’ve driven with it on for a couple months now. I haven’t noticed any real difference on my daily trips with just this one installed. I wasn’t expecting to feel a noticeable difference. I plan on installing the rest here soon when my schedule allows for it. The bar does look cool when you open the trunk. But if you are packing the trunk full for a trip, luggage will hit it. Not a huge deal but just be careful so the finish isn’t dinged up. I didn’t realize until after I installed it that the hooks can be installed with it.
Thanks for the feedback! I am definitely looking forward to your feedback post lower chassis braces installation.
      07-16-2023, 02:55 AM   #12
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GD1981 View Post
Nice! I have both the front and rear strut bar from KC Design to go along with Dinan Springs. My next mod will be the Dinan Monoball, and forged apex wheels. My final suspension mod will be replacing the dinan springs for a proper coilover kit.
The front and rear lower brace? Did you notice any difference post installation?
Dinan monoballs are great for added steering feel and NVH increase.
      07-16-2023, 07:11 PM   #13
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I attempted to install the rear lower brace but it appears it might not fit with my aftermarket exhaust. The exhaust would definitely have to come off to try and fit it and I didn’t want to attempt that. I may have my local shop see if it’s possible. I’m taking it in soon to have some CF aero installed along with RGB DRLs.

I did successfully install the front strut bar and front member strut bar. Good news! It cleared the MST intake, doesn’t make any contact (hard to tell in picture). They even included extra washers to act as spacers just in case it appears. The setup looks great in the engine bay. I’ll report back once I’ve put some miles on it. I know…engine bay is filthy lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      07-16-2023, 07:51 PM   #14
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
I attempted to install the rear lower brace but it appears it might not fit with my aftermarket exhaust. The exhaust would definitely have to come off to try and fit it and I didn’t want to attempt that. I may have my local shop see if it’s possible. I’m taking it in soon to have some CF aero installed along with RGB DRLs.

I did successfully install the front strut bar and front member strut bar. Good news! It cleared the MST intake, doesn’t make any contact (hard to tell in picture). They even included extra washers to act as spacers just in case it appears. The setup looks great in the engine bay. I’ll report back once I’ve put some miles on it. I know…engine bay is filthy lol.
Looking good!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2023, 08:54 PM   #15
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:

Curious, what aftermarket exhaust do you have?
      07-16-2023, 09:59 PM   #16
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Valvemaster. It’s a titanium, valved system, similar to Valvetronic. I am the first/only one with it. I haven’t done a post about it because it’s a long story. I was basically helping them develop/promote a new exhaust system for the M340i . They sent me a prototype, I gave them feedback on it. They sent a revised 2nd exhaust and that one wouldn’t even fit because the dimensions/angles/lengths of the piping changed so much from the prototype. So I ended up using the new muffler with the prototype piping. So I have entire extra exhaust that can’t be used (minus the muffler). Muffler could be used with stock exhaust or new custom piping. I have the valve controller box, key fobs, wiring, everything. It has quad CF tips as well.

Muffler in the picture is what I have for sale but the piping in the picture is not for sale. It’s being used on my car currently with the new muffler from the 2nd system.

Sounds fantastic by the way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      07-17-2023, 08:40 AM   #17
peelerec
Major
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Valvemaster. It’s a titanium, valved system, similar to Valvetronic. I am the first/only one with it. I haven’t done a post about it because it’s a long story. I was basically helping them develop/promote a new exhaust system for the M340i . They sent me a prototype, I gave them feedback on it. They sent a revised 2nd exhaust and that one wouldn’t even fit because the dimensions/angles/lengths of the piping changed so much from the prototype. So I ended up using the new muffler with the prototype piping. So I have entire extra exhaust that can’t be used (minus the muffler). Muffler could be used with stock exhaust or new custom piping. I have the valve controller box, key fobs, wiring, everything. It has quad CF tips as well.

Muffler in the picture is what I have for sale but the piping in the picture is not for sale. It’s being used on my car currently with the new muffler from the 2nd system.

Sounds fantastic by the way.
Looks beautiful. I was asking because of the clearance issues you had. I have an MPE and wonder if I will also have clearance issues. I asked KC but no response on that topic.
      07-17-2023, 11:44 AM   #18
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah I’m honestly not sure. Piping on MPE may be smaller. Also the instructions I received had a picture that was of a 330. So only piping on one side and not both like ours.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 08:50 PM   #19
Darren Lewis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

Any update on how the front strut bar and front member strut bar feel? I actually just ordered the Dinan Strut Tower Braces, but now am curious about these KC products. Looks far more robust. Let us know!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 12:02 AM   #20
noname
Canyon Seeker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Just got my front strut bar from Kies but it didn’t come with any hardware!
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2023, 08:36 AM   #21
Darren Lewis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname View Post
Just got my front strut bar from Kies but it didn’t come with any hardware!
Do you not just use the bolts that are already on top of the strut tower?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2023, 10:01 AM   #22
noname
Canyon Seeker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Lewis View Post
Do you not just use the bolts that are already on top of the strut tower?
I was going off of a post where someone ordered from KC Designs directly. They got hardware and instructions.
Appreciate 1