Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Windscreen replacement - non OEM and HUD - help please!

04-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #1
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i Touring

Windscreen replacement - non OEM and HUD - help please!

Just had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass due to a large scratch (done through Insurance). I assumed as the car as a HUD and cameras it would be OEM glass.

I've just picked the car up and the glass is labeled Pilkington but there is no BMW stamp.

On the drive home it seems as if the HUD is a bit blurry, it's really hard to tell to be honest - as to whether it's just all in my head or it's different than before.

I did have to use the rotation option to rotate it as the hud was wonky - this did not happen on the OEM glass before!

Tempted to ring the insurance up and ask for it to be replaced with OEM glass.

Thoughts?

Has anyone else been in a similar position?

I also read something about the BMW new car warranty being invalid if you don't fit OEM glass - is that correct?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Probably just needs the focus adjusting but that’s a ISTA adjustment or dealer visit. Autoglass should be able to do it too. Pilkington is an OEM supplier.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #3
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharepointalex View Post
Just had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass due to a large scratch (done through Insurance). I assumed as the car as a HUD and cameras it would be OEM glass.

I've just picked the car up and the glass is labeled Pilkington but there is no BMW stamp.

On the drive home it seems as if the HUD is a bit blurry, it's really hard to tell to be honest - as to whether it's just all in my head or it's different than before.

I did have to use the rotation option to rotate it as the hud was wonky - this did not happen on the OEM glass before!

Tempted to ring the insurance up and ask for it to be replaced with OEM glass.

Thoughts?

Has anyone else been in a similar position?

I also read something about the BMW new car warranty being invalid if you don't fit OEM glass - is that correct?

Thanks
I had to request and get approval for BMW glass from my insurer but when I got mine back I thought the same as you.

I think it's just the new glass and getting used to it again, I made some minor adjustments in the settings and it seems ok now but if I your not sure give them a ring.

What they did do with mine is scratch and pull the fabric on the A pillar but they replaced it all for me as they should do.
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Probably just needs the focus adjusting but that’s a ISTA adjustment or dealer visit. Autoglass should be able to do it too. Pilkington is an OEM supplier.
Thanks - I didn't know they could do such a thing. I'll speak to someone I know at a dealer and see what they can do.

I did see that Pilkington is OEM supplier but I understand they do lots of different types of glass that might not be the same as OEM.

Having said all this, after a few more drives I think it's actually not too bad and is maybe just my eyes!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #5
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
I had to request and get approval for BMW glass from my insurer but when I got mine back I thought the same as you.

I think it's just the new glass and getting used to it again, I made some minor adjustments in the settings and it seems ok now but if I your not sure give them a ring.

What they did do with mine is scratch and pull the fabric on the A pillar but they replaced it all for me as they should do.
Ok glad it's not just me! I've made some adjustments too and increased the brightness and it seems better.

I think it's probably just getting used to it as you say. I think I'll leave it.

Weird that I had to rotate the HUD but I assume that's just because of the new glass being slightly different.
Appreciate 0