BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Detailing day

02-01-2021, 03:46 AM   #23
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Gotcha, thanks. Might give it a bash when the new car arrives.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 03:48 AM   #24
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboysafc View Post
Quote:
So after finally getting all my issues sorted out a couple of weeks ago, I decided to treat the car to a full exterior detail...

If anyone's interested, see below steps / products used to get the car as it is now (just a shame the light was going down as when the sun was properly hitting the car it looked amazing!)

Pre-wash: Auto Finesse Dynamite (diluted 5:1), sprayed liberally all over the lower half of the car. Left to dwell for 5 mins and pressure wash off. Followed by snow foam with Autoglym Polar Blast (diluted 6:1), left to dwell for 10 mins and rinse.

Wheels: combination of pre-wash with Auto Finesse Dynamite, followed by Autoglym Magma iron remover. Used separate mitt to contact wash at snow foam stage.

Contact wash: Meguiars Wash Plus, used directly on the mitt. This was to remove any remnants of the previous wax / sealant on the car. I wouldn't recommend this unless you intend to polish the car after, as it will leave micro scratches on the paint. Wash & rinse off one section at a time. (I normally use Autoglym Pure Shampoo when washing normally). Contact wash followed up by decontamination with Autoglym Magma to get rid of any stubborn iron contamination on the paint.

Dry: Large soft microfibre drying towels. Bought from Amazon, and can't remember what make they are. Shuts and returns done with separate microfibre towels to stop dripping.

Polish: DAS6 Pro V2 dual-action polisher, used with Lake Country White polishing pad. Menzerna Super Finish 3500 polish used - this is very mildly abrasive and will get rid of light surface haze and swirl marks, which was a perfect match for the condition of my paint. Mirrors and hard to reach areas were hand polished using Meguiars Ultimate Polish. Full panel wipe down done after using G-techniq IPA panel wipe.

Sealant: Meguiars Ceramic Liquid Wax, applied with Meguiars foam applicator pads. This stuff is amazing, and can be maintained once applied once using their Ceramic Spray wax straight after washing, then you can just rinse and dry off as normal.

Tyres: Wonder Tyres tyre gel. Not the greatest product to apply, but the finish is decent and it's all I had!
Sweet, good job
Road to filthy and salty where I live, just a minimal wash to keep on top, warmer dryer weather required!!!
Always the same in the north east! I'm hoping the graft I put in will see me just having to do easy maintenance washes from now until it warms up!
I moved to Cumbria and live very rural, so multiply north east roads by 100 lol !!
      02-01-2021, 04:43 AM   #25
Froggie401
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport

Smashing job. Looks great.

I managed a quick snow foam, wash and dry at the weekend. I'm afraid to do a proper contact wash in case I get swirls. I recently bought a Blo Car Dryer Air and while it's a slow enough process it leaves a nice water mark free finish.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2021, 05:11 AM   #26
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

Nice job, looks great.

How did you find the Meguairs liquid wax to use? What's the expected life span?

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2021, 05:28 AM   #27
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie401 View Post
Smashing job. Looks great.

I managed a quick snow foam, wash and dry at the weekend. I'm afraid to do a proper contact wash in case I get swirls. I recently bought a Blo Car Dryer Air and while it's a slow enough process it leaves a nice water mark free finish.
If you use the right products and wash the car carefully you'll be fine. Some tips I'd recommend:

1) Use a pre-wash (Auto Finesse Dynamite I mentioned in the post) before snow foaming, which will really help get rid of the harsher dirt.

2) Use a soft noodle type of microfibre wash mitt, using the 2 bucket method (one for suds, one for rinse), and always wash the top two thirds of the car before the dirtier bits at the bottom, and always clean your wheels separately.

3) Use a microfibre drying towel gently, and never a chamois.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_330e View Post
Nice job, looks great.

How did you find the Meguairs liquid wax to use? What's the expected life span?
It's fantastic stuff to apply - one of the easiest out there. On with a Meguiars foam applicator pad, leave to cure for 5 mins and then buff off. It doesn't haze like other products so it's so easy to buff off.

If applied to a properly prepared surface, I.e freshly polished and wiped down after with an IPA panel wipe before applying, you should get 6 months of protection. You'll be doing maintenance washes in that period anyway, which you can top up the protection with their Ceramic Spray wax.
Appreciate 2
      02-01-2021, 06:29 AM   #28
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

That looks great, but its a lot of hard work...

I ended up with mine looking like this for almost zero effort

Products used - auto glym, and a few notes.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 06:34 AM   #29
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

That RS4 looks epic.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18753.00
      02-01-2021, 07:18 AM   #30
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
That RS4 looks epic.
Thanks - I like it and in truth not much more a month than a heavily specced M340iT as the residuals are so much better...

(you can see the son in laws in shot, its also a great car, but for the extra I preferred the Audi)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 07:24 AM   #31
eforty6_m3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Car came out great...good work!!

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #32
RichE91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330E

Quote:
Cheers! Gyeon stuff is decent - what have you gone with? It was cold up in the north east today, but nice and clear so I jumped at the change to try out my new polisher and polishes!
Going to give the new Bathe+ a try. I’ve also got iron, tyre cleaner, can coat, cure, leather coat, new bucket, new mitt, snow foam, wet coat and q2 glas coat. It’s going to be a long day but we’ll worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 09:21 AM   #33
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichE91 View Post
Quote:
Cheers! Gyeon stuff is decent - what have you gone with? It was cold up in the north east today, but nice and clear so I jumped at the change to try out my new polisher and polishes!
Going to give the new Bathe+ a try. I’ve also got iron, tyre cleaner, can coat, cure, leather coat, new bucket, new mitt, snow foam, wet coat and q2 glas coat. It’s going to be a long day but we’ll worth it.
Definitely worth it! Over the moon with mine. I've only tried their wet coat, but was very impressed by it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #34
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichE91 View Post
Quote:
I use both Bathe+ and Wet Coat
Bathe+ doesn't give many suds, bet excellent product, then wet coat when rinsed works brilliantly
I blow dry the car it's so hydrophobic it runs off and drys super quick
      02-01-2021, 11:20 AM   #35
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340D LCI

I have a set of 20 inch black alloys. Any advice on what to use to shine up the black and protect the alloys?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 11:34 AM   #36
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy5468 View Post
I have a set of 20 inch black alloys. Any advice on what to use to shine up the black and protect the alloys?
Are they scratched or do you just mean as a sealant / coating?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 11:37 AM   #37
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
My previous cars were ceramic coated and whilst this one hasnt been yet, I expect they will use the Gtechniq product for alloys they have used before, helps make them easy to clean....

For the experts on here, anything special recommended for white paint over and above the norm I have had applied before (its metallic white if that matters..)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #38
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
My previous cars were ceramic coated and whilst this one hasnt been yet, I expect they will use the Gtechniq product for alloys they have used before, helps make them easy to clean....

For the experts on here, anything special recommended for white paint over and above the norm I have had applied before (its metallic white if that matters..)
It probably depends on how much you wash your car as to what to do.

Ceramic coatings are great if done properly by a professional, but also very expensive. I did all the work on my car myself, and maintenance wash every couple of weeks so negates the need for ceramic coating in my opinion. All I'd say is avoid your local £6 car washes!

If you're doing it yourself, then something like Meguiars Ceramic liquid wax / ceramic spray will keep it protected if maintained correctly. If applied correctly you're looking at 4-6 months protection.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 01:40 PM   #39
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Beemer5to3 Excellent result sir!

Anyone on here ever went the de-ionised water route?
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #40
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Ceramic coatings are great if done properly by a professional, but also very expensive. I did all the work on my car myself, and maintenance wash every couple of weeks so negates the need for ceramic coating in my opinion. All I'd say is avoid your local £6 car washes!

If you're doing it yourself, then something like Meguiars Ceramic liquid wax / ceramic spray will keep it protected if maintained correctly. If applied correctly you're looking at 4-6 months protection.
I cant remember the last time I washed my car myself. Had the SQ5 and M5 ceramic coated (GTechniq CSL in both cases) and then the kind man who ceramic coated it would come and do a maintenance wash every 6 weeks.... Havent got the RS4 coated yet and wondering whether I should be looking at something different this time, given its a very different colour, and well, you dont know what you dont know....
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #41
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

Quote:
I cant remember the last time I washed my car myself. Had the SQ5 and M5 ceramic coated (GTechniq CSL in both cases) and then the kind man who ceramic coated it would come and do a maintenance wash every 6 weeks.... Havent got the RS4 coated yet and wondering whether I should be looking at something different this time, given its a very different colour, and well, you dont know what you dont know....
I'm guessing the kind man also relieved you of some hard-earned cash for each visit

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 02:09 PM   #42
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340D LCI

Quote:
They are in pretty good nick and no scratches. I want to keep them that way. Would also like a nice glossy coat / sealant on them. Although clean, the black is rather dull.

Alloys as shown in my avatar.

Any recommendations for a good product for the job?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 02:22 PM   #43
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

With that level of time between maintenance washes I'd definitely go down the ceramic coating route as they're extremely durable. If you've had them before then you'll know they'll massively enhance the gloss, helped by the fact they will machine polish it beforehand. A lot of people think it's the sealant that gives the car that amazing gloss, and while they will enhance gloss, it's the polishing stage that actually gives the gloss on the paint. You can only enhance what you have in the first place!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #44
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They are in pretty good nick and no scratches. I want to keep them that way. Would also like a nice glossy coat / sealant on them. Although clean, the black is rather dull.

Alloys as shown in my avatar.

Any recommendations for a good product for the job?
Depends what you can be bothered to do! I actually use Turtlewax Seal n Shine (Sealant) on my wheels and it really helps stop the brake dust sticking, and if I'm in a rush i just use a quick few sprays of Meguiars ceramic spray wax.

There are alloy wheel specific sealants, but again it depends on how much effort you're willing to put in & how much you wash your car. If the gloss black finish is looking dull, then they may need a polish too.
Appreciate 0