BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Detailing day

02-01-2021, 02:27 PM   #45
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

I’ve used Poorboy’s wheel sealant in the past but a huge amount of effort especially on complex spoke patterns. Certainly won’t be doing that on 790M wheels
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 02:50 PM   #46
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_330e View Post
I'm guessing the kind man also relieved you of some hard-earned cash for each visit
I dont know about hard earned but yes

But then I would never service it myself either, leave the experts to do their stuff...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 02:53 PM   #47
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
With that level of time between maintenance washes I'd definitely go down the ceramic coating route as they're extremely durable. If you've had them before then you'll know they'll massively enhance the gloss, helped by the fact they will machine polish it beforehand. A lot of people think it's the sealant that gives the car that amazing gloss, and while they will enhance gloss, it's the polishing stage that actually gives the gloss on the paint. You can only enhance what you have in the first place!
Thanks. I dont use the car that often, its a weekend toy and only gets used for proper journeys. I'll go back down the same route but might try a different coating for variety!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 03:07 PM   #48
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Car looks great! Been toying with the idea of getting a polisher but don't think I'd trust myself with it on the paintwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
Beemer5to3 Excellent result sir!

Anyone on here ever went the de-ionised water route?
I bought a DI vessel last March, definitely worth the money with the time I saved if I was just giving it a quick wash and rinse especially in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #49
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanli722 View Post
Car looks great! Been toying with the idea of getting a polisher but don't think I'd trust myself with it on the paintwork.

Quote:
Beemer5to3 Excellent result sir!

Anyone on here ever went the de-ionised water route?
I bought a DI vessel last March, definitely worth the money with the time I saved if I was just giving it a quick wash and rinse especially in the summer.
You really can't go wrong with a Dual Action polisher - they're very safe to use, and just make sure you pick a relatively gentle polish and pad combination. I'd highly recommend the DAS6 V2 polisher, and that combined with the lake country white pad (heavy polishing), and Menzerna Super Finish 3500 should bring up lightly hazed / swirled paint up like new. Feel free to drop me a PM if you'd like any advice on what to buy.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 10:58 AM   #50
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:

I'm the same in terms of a DA and I've heard the de-ion saves a ton of time as no water spottingbut it does seem like an overkill luxury though, hmm.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 03:12 PM   #51
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm the same in terms of a DA and I've heard the de-ion saves a ton of time as no water spottingbut it does seem like an overkill luxury though, hmm.
Personally for me it was worth the money as I don't have much free time during the day. If I get a chance I'll give the car a snow foam, 2 bucket wash and rinse with the DI water. If the cars not particularly dirty but want to make it look a bit more respectable I'll just snow foam it and then rinse without any contact washing.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #52
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
I’ve used Poorboy’s wheel sealant in the past but a huge amount of effort especially on complex spoke patterns. Certainly won’t be doing that on 790M wheels
Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner is excellent. Minimal effort involved.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 04:52 PM   #53
danorman777
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Mine is black so a DI was the first thing I purchased. It lets me snow foam then two bucket wash and then just rinse and leave. Keeps contact minimal to reduce swirls etc and no water marks after.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2021, 01:22 AM   #54
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGrey View Post
Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner is excellent. Minimal effort involved.
I'm a big fan of Bilt Hamber. Use their snow foam and the korrosol for wheels and body. Great on the 790 wheels!

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 04:18 AM   #55
TouringDude
Rep
Drives: 330i Sport Touring

Looks stunning mate. About to update the detailing cupboards myself.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2021, 04:22 AM   #56
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Slightly off-topic - so apologies in advance - but probably not seperate thread worthy.

Any recommendations for an entry-level capable pressure washer thats good enough for general basic detailing (thinking of a snow-foam and a rinse)?
Was looking at Karcher K3 / K4 - but couldnt tell if pressure could be adjusted (as will be using it for other jobs around the house too).
      02-08-2021, 04:23 AM   #57
TouringDude
Rep

The K3 and 4 iirc are pressure adjustable
      02-08-2021, 04:23 AM   #58
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDude View Post
Looks stunning mate. About to update the detailing cupboards myself.
Updating the detailing cupboard seems like a never ending process for me ha. Feel free to shout if you need any advice - I've tested a fair few of the off the shelf products from the likes of Autoglym, Meguiars, and Auto Finesse.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 04:26 AM   #59
TouringDude
Rep

Quote:
Updating the detailing cupboard seems like a never ending process for me ha. Feel free to shout if you need any advice - I've tested a fair few of the off the shelf products from the likes of Autoglym, Meguiars, and Auto Finesse.

That’s very kind of you mate, thank you.

I’m looking at the AG snow foam gun first of all, I’ve been at deaths door for four years and just borrowing my mums seat arona, so this is my first own car in many years and have only the basics for car cleaning... I even need to buy a bucket lol!
      02-08-2021, 04:40 AM   #60
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

@TouringDude don't bother with the AG snow foam cannon, whilst it's very good it's way overpriced - this is what I use:

Qooltek Adjustable Foam Cannon 1 Liter Bottle Snow Foam Lance Soap Dispenser Nozzle for Karcher K Series K2 K3 K4 K5 K6 K7 Pressure Washer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T6KS5...0N8FQC3SZ51MZQ
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 04:55 AM   #61
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

What about this one? Any experiences?
Cherry fragrance... mmm.
      02-08-2021, 05:38 AM   #62
TouringDude
Rep

Quote:
@TouringDude don't bother with the AG snow foam cannon, whilst it's very good it's way overpriced - this is what I use:

Qooltek Adjustable Foam Cannon 1 Liter Bottle Snow Foam Lance Soap Dispenser Nozzle for Karcher K Series K2 K3 K4 K5 K6 K7 Pressure Washer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T6KS5...0N8FQC3SZ51MZQ

In the words of Alan partridge.... cash back! I’ll get that one then I need to get a bucket, a decent wash mitt, etc.. and a good drying towel. Back in the day I had this really good wooden handle brush with blue nylon bristles and it was absolutely fantastic for wheels, wheel arches, door shuts to agitate the product but I can’t find it anymore and don’t know what to look for. What snow foam and APC would you recommend? And a sealant too, I don’t want to break the bank on sealant but want a product that’s long lasting, beads well and isn’t an absolute nightmare to work with as I’m disabled so the easier the better
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 06:19 AM   #63
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDude View Post
Quote:

In the words of Alan partridge.... cash back! I’ll get that one then I need to get a bucket, a decent wash mitt, etc.. and a good drying towel. Back in the day I had this really good wooden handle brush with blue nylon bristles and it was absolutely fantastic for wheels, wheel arches, door shuts to agitate the product but I can’t find it anymore and don’t know what to look for. What snow foam and APC would you recommend? And a sealant too, I don’t want to break the bank on sealant but want a product that’s long lasting, beads well and isn’t an absolute nightmare to work with as I’m disabled so the easier the better
Just get any noodle type microfibre wash mitt I'd say - you can't really go wrong.

If you're not wanting to break the bank with a sealant, then I'd highly recommend Turtlewax Sealant - at less than £10 a bottle it's hard to argue against the value, and in terms of performance it will shame some of the much more expensive SiO2 products out there.

Make sure you buy two buckets - one for suds, the other for rinse. If budget allows then go for one that you can put a grit guard in. I've got Meguiars ones. Goes without saying, but make sure you've got a separate bucket / mitt etc for wheels, or make sure you clean it out thoroughly before using on paintwork.

Snow foam / APC - Autoglym Polar Blast is up there and I use it a lot as I can always find it on offer somewhere. Bilt Hamber auto foam is excellent also. Auto Finesse Dynamite is a brilliant citrus based APC.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #64
TouringDude
Rep

Thanks mate. My dad said in the shed we have two white detailing buckets - one with a grit guard, awesome! I’ve had black cars before so I’m very cautious about inducing swirling - I’ve seen some sealants that you put on a wet car then rinse off - but I can’t get my head around it! I have some car plan polymer sealant in a little clear trigger bottle that worked well on the arona but I fancy something a bit posher to treat my first new car and first beemer with!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #65
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by danorman777 View Post
Mine is black so a DI was the first thing I purchased. It lets me snow foam then two bucket wash and then just rinse and leave. Keeps contact minimal to reduce swirls etc and no water marks after.
I am on the same page exactly... the DI works well and avoids the contact that causes the most swirls. Angelwax Enigma or Gyeon Bathe+
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 08:13 AM   #66
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep

Detailing day

The car was finally from a motorway drive with all the slush etc. Good time to try out the Bilt Hamber Touch-Less and Touch-On, happy with results.

Used the Touch-On with the snow foam lance and seemed to be giving some beading for the first application, non contact and lazy.
Appreciate 0