Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330e 17~19 Electric Miles range

04-12-2021, 07:50 AM   #1
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

330e 17~19 Electric Miles range

Getting upset with this thing, 19 miles is the max I see (with granny charger while I wait for high speed charger) after a charge.... half the expected...

I guess it tracks your usage/behaviour like the fuel range does

Had the car a month now and charge every second day

Last edited by jedpause; 04-12-2021 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #2
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
Getting upset with this thing, 19 miles is the max I see (with granny charger while I wait for high speed charger) after a charge.... half the expected...

I've learned to completely ignore the range indicator on the dash. It's rubbish. Maybe there's some logic there, but it beats me.
May as well just be a random number generator.

In its defence, I often get slightly more than advertisted, but certainly not impressive, and certainly nowhere near what BMW "suggested" I would get. Temperature alledgedly plays a part, but in my experience, regardless of weather, its poor.

Used to bug me too, however now just accept that however many miles I get it's still cheaper than fuel. And since switching to Octopus Go, it's massively cheaper (%wise). Gone from about £1.80 a charge, down to approx £1.20. If I do 20-25 miles on that, its potentially 5p a mile (compared to >10p a mile on fuel).

If you can, it's seriously worth a switch to Octopus Go. 4 hours of electricity at 5p/kWh through the night. And if you are getting a home charger, so should be able to charge most (if not all) in that window.

ps. if you look to switch, the link below means we both get £50 free credit! (a months free electric motoring)

((...although, just recalled, you recently took on a decent EDF contract?))

Last edited by willougs; 04-12-2021 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #3
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post

If you can, it's seriously worth a switch to Octopus Go.

ps. if you look to switch, the link below means we both get £50 free credit! (a months free electric motoring)

((...although, just recalled, you recently took on a decent EDF contract?))
Thanks, yeah I have to use EDF for 6 months as they give me a free charger...

Then I can go back to Octopus whom I use now...

The pain is having to charge slow and often at the moment... when I go back to office working, I get free fast charging there, then I'll be fine
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #4
Biglewey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e, Morgan Plus 4

I get 25-26 miles but expect that to increase in summer with no heating.

Cables or chargers will not increase range - only how quickly or slowly battery gets charged. 'battery charge is managed in battery voltage so will stop when battery "full"

Lastly this time of year use precondition to prepare car on mains power.

I notice that 20 mins pre-warm is equivalent to a mile or two. Makes sense as I get about 2.3 Kw per mile - heater must be 1-2 kw.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 09:40 AM   #5
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglewey View Post

Cables or chargers will not increase range - only how quickly or slowly battery gets charged. 'battery charge is managed in battery voltage so will stop when battery "full"

I notice that 20 mins pre-warm is equivalent to a mile or two. Makes sense as I get about 2.3 Kw per mile - heater must be 1-2 kw.
and does the range on the dash say 25-26? or just what you've manually worked it out to be?

A electric consumption of 2.3kW/mile means you'll be lucky to get 6 or 7 miles from a full battery? (always forget exact battery capacity but around 12kWh?)

thanks
      04-12-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Am I missing something glaringly obvious with hybrid cars, I just can't get my head around how the costs add up.

I understand that if you can commute/ travel predominantly on electric then the cost per mile is better than traditional fuel.

However the car itself tends to be circa £3-5k more for an identical spec petrol/diesel car.

Surely this increased price doesn't warrant the saving in fuel? Unless people are getting great lease/PCP deals?

Like I say, maybe I am missing something glaringly obvious as to why they are better (other than the BIK saving), but would be interested to understand where the real life savings are from people who have opted for a hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #7
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.summers86 View Post
However the car itself tends to be circa £3-5k more for an identical spec petrol/diesel car.
Not the case (with the 330e anyway). When I purchased, I entered the dealer intending to buy a 330d. The 330e list price (at the time) was about 200 quid more.

With a commute within 20 miles from home, and charging at work, it makes sense for us.

In fact: just found the configurator outputs I had. Exactly the same spec, different engine:
Attached Images

Last edited by willougs; 04-12-2021 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 10:20 AM   #8
JM13RS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Am I missing something glaringly obvious with hybrid cars, I just can't get my head around how the costs add up.

I understand that if you can commute/ travel predominantly on electric then the cost per mile is better than traditional fuel.

Surely this increased price doesn't warrant the saving in fuel? Unless people are getting great lease/PCP deals?

Like I say, maybe I am missing something glaringly obvious as to why they are better (other than the BIK saving), but would be interested to understand where the real life savings are from people who have opted for a hybrid.

Was Purely about the BIK for me. Had an RS3 as my comp car but monthly tax got extortionate, had to have a car low BIK. Switched to an 330e, which was actually the more expensive vehicle ( by about 15k). As a result I pay next to nothing tax per month.

That being said I never have to fill it up as I go to and from work 25 mile round trip on electric, I used to spend circa £450 a month on fuel with the RS3 @ 24-28mpg, I am now lucky if I spend £100, if the petrol engine does ever kick in its only for a nippy overtake then back to electric. If you do a 50mile max commute it definitely seems to save money big time. My fuel bill was about £5500 per year, although only having the 330e for 6 months, I will be lucky to pay £1200 a year- Saves me £4300 on fuel.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #9
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Quote:
Not the case (with the 330e anyway). When I purchased, I entered the dealer intending to buy a 330d. The 330e list price (at the time) was about 200 quid more.

With a commute within 20 miles from home, and charging at work, it makes sense for us.

In fact: just found the configurator outputs I had. Exactly the same spec, different engine:
That's a good point I wasn't aware of - I think I have only really looked at the used approved listings and assumed the book price must have been more for a 330e vs 330d.

So I guess to add to my question - does it only really add up if you buy new as oppose to used, as it appears hybrids hold their value better?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Quote:
it appears hybrids hold their value better?
It's probably more that diesels currently shed their value really quickly, for all the obvious reasons. There's a huge part of the car buying public that just won't touch them any more, despite their advantages.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #11
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's a good point I wasn't aware of - I think I have only really looked at the used approved listings and assumed the book price must have been more for a 330e vs 330d.

So I guess to add to my question - does it only really add up if you buy new as oppose to used, as it appears hybrids hold their value better?
Not sure I'm afraid as when I placed the order for mine there was pretty much zero used 330e's about, so was "forced" to head down the new route. Not sure if that was down to the recall going on around the same time, or manufacturing issues or covid or whatever.

Think there's soon to be thousands of 330e's about (down to BIK, move away from fully fossil fuel cars etc) so doubt they'll hold their value for too much longer.
Soon after I placed my order in December I kept eye out and saw none. Seen quite a few around in the last couple of weeks.
      04-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #12
wassap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Volvo

The 330e is for the company car driver, it makes no sense for anyone else IMO. The additional cost over a 320i or D means you really need to be alle to do your driving on electric.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 11:13 AM   #13
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassap View Post
The 330e is for the company car driver, it makes no sense for anyone else IMO. The additional cost over a 320i or D means you really need to be alle to do your driving on electric.
Disagree. I can do most of my driving for free (solar panels), I save £500 a year on my parking permit, and (because I'm one of those PHEV drivers that /does/ plug their car in) I'm also doing my bit for the planet.

The 330e may not be for everyone, but it's the perfect fit for some of us as a personal purchase.

Last edited by paulockenden; 04-12-2021 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 12:32 PM   #14
chrisnoy
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 330e 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
Disagree. I can do most of my driving for free (solar panels), I save £500 a year on my parking permit, and (because I'm one of those PHEV drivers that /does/ plug their car in) I'm also doing my bit for the planet.

The 300e may not be for everyone, but it's the perfect fit for some of us as a personal purchase.
Quite agree, and a lovely car to drive at that.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #15
ADIUK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive30e M Sport 2020

Garage List
Quote:

Pre-conditioning heater is about 5Kw.

That is why I set my departure time 20 minutes or so before I leave so my wall charger (3.7Kw) can top the battery up.

Also think @Biglewey meant 2.3 miles per Kw.

Last edited by ADIUK; 04-12-2021 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 02:03 PM   #16
Biglewey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e, Morgan Plus 4

Yes well spotted and sorry meant 2.3 mile/kW thanks - was typing on my phone and had yet another senior moment. 12x2.3 = 27.6 miles.

I have checked and car (and App) said 26 miles and sure enough I actually got 26 miles one driving locally in Electric mode. Must admit I was driving fairly economically.

I don't get BiK benefit etc but know that these days (semi-retired) most of my journeys are well less than 25 miles so doing my bit for the local environment. Also, in sport mode its amazing on the odd occasion when I fancy a bit of a blast...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #17
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes well spotted and sorry meant 2.3 mile/kW thanks
That's pretty impressive. I seem to max out at about 1.6 miles/kW
      04-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #18
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

A pedant writes that it’s miles per kWh, not Per kW. Although having said that, I know what you meant.

I get around 400Wh per mile, which works out around 2.5 miles per kWh. A friend with a model 3 Tesla gets around double that. I guess on the one hand he isn’t lugging round a petrol engine, but on the other hand he does have loads of heavy batteries on board.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post

Key reading has to be the "kWh/100km", on the OBC. For me, that has much more meaning in what the car is actually getting in EV mode.

There's a UK owner of a new X5 45e on this forum currently getting under 26kWh/100km. That's over 2.3 miles/kWh... in an X5!

What's your EV consumption figure in kWh/100km?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 03:52 PM   #20
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's pretty impressive. I seem to max out at about 1.6 miles/kW
Actually, that's not true. Just checked today's and got the following. Range was 18miles when left work, and battery was 37% when got home.
Attached Images

04-12-2021, 03:55 PM   #21
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport Plus Edition 2020

Circa 25 miles most days on the display via 3 pin charge cable at home overnight..

Actually daily driving range on average 20 miles per day
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 04:18 PM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Actually, that's not true. Just checked today's and got the following. Range was 18miles when left work, and battery was 37% when got home.
Your 2.8miles/kWh figure indicates your real range is close to 30miles, (with 10.4kWh of energy available for use). Add any 'recovered' miles and over 30miles range is definitely on the cards.
Appreciate 0