Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Grinding/wind noise

01-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #133
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i Touring M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glaede View Post
Just got an idea.. Could it be the steering rack it self?

The steering rack is different for M-Sport editions. It has a different part no. Also this could confirm why the guy from the UK didn't have any problems (LHD vs RHD = different part).

For people with S2VLA (variable sport steering) the part no is:

and non M-Sports are:

It's shared with 318d, 320d and 330i engine variants.

The 330d, 330e, M340i, however, got two different racks:

32106896201 up until 07/19
and
32106899679 up until 11/19

Kind of interesting. Does anyone know of a 330d Touring M-Sport with problems?
Interesting! Do you know if BMW have changed it on 320d and 330i in july as they did with the other?
I think that this could be the culprit!
I did a fast reversing today to see if it could be an aerodynamic phenomena, but I heard the sound so it must be some mechanically..
I tried fast reversing too and also still hear the sound.
Appreciate 2
XXXX19.50
Glaede49.50
      01-07-2020, 12:41 AM   #134
Glaede
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330i Touring M-Sport

I asked my dealer yesterday if it could be the steering rack, but he said they tested that? However, I doubt they tried a different rack on mine, but who knows..

Btw, the dealer kept my car and gave me a 630i GT M-Sport as a loaner until my own car is fixed. Brand new (11/19 - 1.200 km so far). Drives fantastic :-D
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 12:44 AM   #135
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Interesting! Do you know if BMW have changed it on 320d and 330i in july as they did with the other?
I did a fast reversing today to see if it could be an aerodynamic phenomena, but I heard the sound so it must be some mechanically..
From what I can tell they didn't change it for the other engine variants. The x drive models has another steering rack too. Another interesting thing is, that this electric steering rack is only used on the G20/G21 series. Wheel bearings, for instance, are used in the 5 series as well, so I doubt they are the culprit.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 01:13 AM   #136
XXXX
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Xdrive Touring Msport

Quote:
Quote:
From what I can tell they didn't change it for the other engine variants. The x drive models has another steering rack too. Another interesting thing is, that this electric steering rack is only used on the G20/G21 series. Wheel bearings, for instance, are used in the 5 series as well, so I doubt they are the culprit.
I have got a xdrive, so if they have a different steering rack maybe it's not the culprit after all.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 01:22 AM   #137
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have got a xdrive, so if they have a different steering rack maybe it's not the culprit after all.
I guess it depends on what part of the rack is causing this. Some parts may be the same. Why should the eletric hydraulic motor be different for example? I can understand that the design of the rack may be different due to yours being FWD as well. I guess we'll find out at some point
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 04:02 AM   #138
Wmb5m
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520d xdrive Touring -20

Talked to my dealer today and they are waiting for respond from BMW, and regarding to them, they are not very hopeful. They think that it’s probably something that I have to live with😟 If so I’m going to make them to take the car back and I will choose an other brand!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 06:14 AM   #139
XXXX
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I guess it depends on what part of the rack is causing this. Some parts may be the same. Why should the eletric hydraulic motor be different for example? I can understand that the design of the rack may be different due to yours being FWD as well. I guess we'll find out at some point
This non linear speeding influence of the sound could be that it is the steering. The sound changes by the speed, but not follow it completely as a bad bearing would do. The gearing of the steering on m-chassi cars is depending on speed but probably just in an interval.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2020, 02:14 PM   #140
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
This non linear speeding influence of the sound could be that it is the steering. The sound changes by the speed, but not follow it completely as a bad bearing would do. The gearing of the steering on m-chassi cars is depending on speed but probably just in an interval.
I'm not following how the steering rack could be generating this problem, without it being obvious as you steer. Driving straight ahead, there shouldn't be anything moving within the rack generating noise. Servo motor is stationary.

If it is the rack, I'd expect it to change sound as you move the steering wheel a few degrees each way, at various driving speeds, and require changeable torque, to assist the movement.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #141
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I asked my dealer yesterday if it could be the steering rack, but he said they tested that? However, I doubt they tried a different rack on mine, but who knows.
Shouldn't need to change the rack. Simple steering movements should change the sound track as you drive.

Any grinding sound, steering related, should be pretty obvious to any decent technician. I'm also sure some of you guys with the issue would sense if it is steering rack related. Vibrations should also change with steering loading, possibly also feel any changes thought the steering wheel, as well as the body.

Also see my previous post.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2020, 03:04 AM   #142
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Shouldn't need to change the rack. Simple steering movements should change the sound track as you drive.

Any grinding sound, steering related, should be pretty obvious to any decent technician. I'm also sure some of you guys with the issue would sense if it is steering rack related. Vibrations should also change with steering loading, possibly also feel any changes thought the steering wheel, as well as the body.

Also see my previous post.
Well, you are probably right, I'm just trying to figure out the difference between the base model and the M-Sport model, since the problem only occurs on M-Sport models. And, so far, no technician has been able to figure it out in any of the BMW dealers. Remember, the sound is also present at idle and it's shared amongst different engine variants.

Last edited by Glaede; 01-08-2020 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 03:09 AM   #143
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Well, you are probably right, I'm just trying to figure out the difference between the base model and the M-Sport model, since the problem only occurs on M-Sport models. And, so far, no technician has been able to figure it out in any of the BMW dealers.
I'm understanding your frustration with this issue. I'd be the same, if it was me.

BTW, has anyone had a BMW 'field' engineer visit their dealer, to examine any of the problem vehicles?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 03:43 AM   #144
Wmb5m
Rep

Quote:
I'm understanding your frustration with this issue. I'd be the same, if it was me.

BTW, has anyone had a BMW 'field' engineer visit their dealer, to examine any of the problem vehicles?
My dealer seems to lost interest in this. They have been told from BMW that they don’t have any solution and that they should give the car back to me. I refused that at first but since it is a company car, leased by an outsourced company I didn’t had any choice. I will probably let the leasing company make a reclaim. It’s really a shame how BMW take care of their customers!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 03:45 AM   #145
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:

I'm not sure, if a BMW engineer has been at the dealership (might have?), but I know the dealer is sending sound recordings/findings to BMW.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2020, 03:46 AM   #146
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmb5m View Post
My dealer seems to lost interest in this. They have been told from BMW that they don’t have any solution and that they should give the car back to me. I refused that at first but since it is a company car, leased by an outsourced company I didn’t had any choice. I will probably let the leasing company make a reclaim. It’s really a shame how BMW take care of their customers!
That sucks!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:55 AM   #147
XXXX
Private
Rep

7 weeks now and no solution! This is sick!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 07:20 AM   #148
Glaede
Private
Rep

Quote:
7 weeks now and no solution! This is sick!
Yup, it's not good..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 12:06 PM   #149
XXXX
Private
Rep

Since there are g21 with m-chassi that don't have this sound, so could the culprit be something else.
The car I know is silent has the same equipments as mine except m-sport brakes.
I have driven a couple of G20s with m-sport brakes, and they were all silent, but they all had 19" wheels.

Can culprit be the combination of 18" (or 17") and m-sport brakes?
Is it only these cars that have this sound?
Have anyone experience of a silent g21 with sport brakes and 17" or 18" ?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #150
Wmb5m
Rep

Quote:
Since there are g21 with m-chassi that don't have this sound, so could the culprit be something else.
The car I know is silent has the same equipments as mine except m-sport brakes.
I have driven a couple of G20s with m-sport brakes, and they were all silent, but they all had 19" wheels.

Can culprit be the combination of 18" (or 17") and m-sport brakes?
Is it only these cars that have this sound?
Have anyone experience of a silent g21 with sport brakes and 17" or 18" ?
I have a friend in Germany who claims that her G21 is silent. It is a 320d with M-chassi and has the same 18” as mine. Produced in the end of september. I don’t know if she got the M-brakes, but I shall check. I can’t really understand how it could be the brakes, because the sound doesn’t change if you brake. Maybe the bigger discs and calipers causes resonance?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:45 PM   #151
Wmb5m
Rep

Quote:
I have a friend in Germany who claims that her G21 is silent. It is a 320d with M-chassi and has the same 18” as mine. Produced in the end of september. I don’t know if she got the M-brakes, but I shall check. I can’t really understand how it could be the brakes, because the sound doesn’t change if you brake. Maybe the bigger discs and calipers causes resonance?
It is standard brakes on her car and it is silent. So the question is if there are only cars with m-brakes that have this problem?
Appreciate 2
XXXX19.50
      01-12-2020, 11:54 PM   #152
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It is standard brakes on her car and it is silent. So the question is if there are only cars with m-brakes that have this problem?
Interesting!
Appreciate 1
XXXX19.50
      01-13-2020, 01:26 AM   #153
Wmb5m
Rep

Could it be the brake shield? It’s significant different with the m-brakes
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2020, 03:11 AM   #154
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Could it be the brake shield? It’s significant different with the m-brakes
Interesting if this is also an issue with 19" wheels. Anyone here with 19" and M-sport breaks that can confirm this?

I could buy into the theory, that the bigger M-breakes, combined with 17" or 18" wheels could create a resonance, maybe due to some compressed air, in the wheel arches which gets better on smooth and fresh asphalt.

<Glaede> - do you know if our BMW dealer has tried with 19" wheels?

Last edited by clausmoll; 01-13-2020 at 06:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
XXXX19.50