Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK iPhone bluetooth greyed out

04-25-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
Chrisr22
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

iPhone bluetooth greyed out

I collected my M340i about a month ago and my iPhone XS Max worked fine in iDrive mode or CarPlay mode for audio via Bluetooth.

However in the last two weeks, all the options (tracks, artists etc) are greyed out and do not work (see pic below). It makes using the iDrive system for media useless as it also does not give me a playlist option either. CarPlay works fine but I do find the iDrive system quicker for media and I prefer to use it.

I have tried an iDrive reset (holding power button until screen goes black), deleting and repairing my iPhone, soft resetting my phone but still it does not work.

I am running iOS 13.4.1 and it seems like this issue coincides with the release of this update.

Is anyone else having this issue? Does anyone know a solution or does it require a fix from BMW or Apple?

04-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Is it because your iPhone is constantly trying to connect CarPlay? Remember that CarPlay uses Wi-Fi to connect and not Bluetooth.

Try to find the BMW network on your iPhone and delete (forget) it. If it's not there, I think you have to go to the CarPlay menu on your phone and delete the car from that location.

Re-pair using Bluetooth and it'll ask for CarPlay to connect
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 12:20 AM   #3
machman767
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport+

Try the universal reboot, push the volume control in for a full 70 seconds, it'll reboot a couple of times but make sure you keep it pressed in for the full time, seems to sort most issues out.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 04:20 AM   #4
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

I've given up trying to make my iPhone XS connect reliably to my X5 G05. I just take the attitude if it connects and stays connected, it's my lucky day. Same for my F30 3 Series.

Car Play works sometimes. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it loses the connection ten minutes after setting off on a long journey, so I no longer am able to take phone calls or play music. If I connect it and play music via Bluetooth, after twenty minutes it will not allow me to choose songs via the iDrive. It's an utter mess on both cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 05:51 PM   #5
Chrisr22
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
Is it because your iPhone is constantly trying to connect CarPlay? Remember that CarPlay uses Wi-Fi to connect and not Bluetooth.

Try to find the BMW network on your iPhone and delete (forget) it. If it's not there, I think you have to go to the CarPlay menu on your phone and delete the car from that location.

Re-pair using Bluetooth and it'll ask for CarPlay to connect
Thanks, I deleted the BMW network on my iPhone and it fixed it. But when I next started the car I got the please wait screen again...

It seems very hit and miss. Sometimes it plays music and then the search options become available after about 3mins, I guess this is the time it takes to load everything...

iDrive 6 on my old M140i was much more reliable and always worked!

I'll try the 70 seconds reboot. I only did it for about 30 seconds.
      05-02-2020, 07:12 AM   #6
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I've been having this problem too. Seems you can connect Carplay but not have the Bluetooth audio available via the iDrive at the same time, unless you go to the iDrive mobile device options and change the phone back to iDrive connection mode. Then Bluetooth audio returns but you've lost the Carplay. Annoying.

What makes this annoying is when my phone is in iDrive mode I can see received text messages, but not reply or send. Then in Carplay mode I can't see received text messages but I can send them (this is via Siri it seems). So I have to switch back and forth, changing the iDrive mobile device settings each time. Unfortunately also the shortcut buttons won't save/remember this function.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 06:16 PM   #7
FlyFastLiveSlow
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Today I had no control over the bluetooth or wifi in my 2020 330i. I deleted the car from my known Bluetooth connections on my phone, had it start scanning, and the car did not show up at all. I did the remotes software upgrade a month or so ago. I called BMW Assistance but didn't get much help. It's Sunday so the "geniuses" aren't working.

Thanks to this thread, I did the trick of holding the volume down for 70 seconds then restarting the car and it seemed to fix the problem. My bluetooth and new Android Auto functionality seem to be working fine.

Side note - This is my first BMW and I bought it slightly used. I didn't realize that what I consider to be basic electronics such as bluetooth are part of a service package that will expire in 2024. Am I going to have to buy new services then just so I can keep using bluetooth? My 2012 Dodge pickup has less glitchy connectivity and I've never had to sign up for any service. I must say I'm not completely thrilled with my BMW experience so far.
Appreciate 0