Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions BIMMERPOST G22 4 Series Coupe Digital Previews

Closed Thread

08-24-2019, 08:31 PM   #221
SchwarzerReiter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarehs27 View Post
My version of what the grills are probably going to look like (based on Scott26's info)...You can also notice from the spy shots that it's not as upright, high or thin as in the renders.
This is still UGLY as hell. Maybe they're testing the market with this new design on a car that doesnt sell too well, so it wont matter much. Or does it sell well? I have no idea. But yeah right now Mercedes has been building some gorgeous cars to the point that i'm thinking of switching over. Oh my BMW heart...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #222
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
f32 values are going to sky rocket!
Sure. That's what everyone said about the E9X M3 when the F8X M3/M4 was launched. BMW's are still great cars but they are generally not special enough in any trim where there is any meaningful appreciation in value because there is a disagreement especially with something like looks/design.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24980.50
JTO245271.50
      08-24-2019, 09:41 PM   #223
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

If you cover the grill it seems as though it would be a really graceful design.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 10:29 PM   #224
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

I honestly don't care how BMW thinks this is some evolution from previous concept designs and previous models. That this design is "the way forward."

It looks like shit and is an embarrassment. A crap design is a crap design.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9698.00
      08-24-2019, 11:46 PM   #225
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
That front grille is tragic.
      08-25-2019, 12:15 AM   #226
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Stick your fingers in front of the grill...it still isn't that inspiring. I get the move to the 8 series hipline...but I'm just not sure I'm on board...really abandons the 4 Series (3 series coupe) traditional lines. I don't know I'll have to see it in person but there are hints of 8 series meets Mustang meets Altima coupe here and I'm just not sure, front grill aside.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 02:18 AM   #227
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

How’s it working for the new 7er?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
du machst Witze?

I saw the car when they were working through Concept Vision iDynamics so we could see the familiarity between the models.
My reaction as was seeing Vision iDynamics for the first time was reactionary but it all fell into place when you took into consideration the new look for coupes being showcased by THE 8.
So the overall body becomes more organic than forced with sharp lines to separate the two halfs of the car.

The adaption of the new Kidney Grille being taller but not necessarily thinner as BMWs of the past is to forge a link with the past but look forward to the future. The kidney grille offers unique areas to hide technology without cluttering the front of the car.

The M Sport Packet of the car moves on from the use of appendages to highlight detail in favour of aerodynamically designed sculpture.
A good example is on THE 1 particular the M135i on how the aerodynamics have been formed. This is uniquely helpful as it defines its dynamic looks without clutter but also allows the sculpture on each side of the grille to bisect the middle for the license plate recess.

My initial impression was reactionary but with renders you are not seeing a three dimensional look at the car especially how it's more shark-like than before. The car was shown alongside famous coupes like the 503,E9 CS and E24 6er as well as the current 4 and then unseen 8. It's here where it all started to make sense.

Each generation illustrates its Kidney Grille in various sizes to basically where it is heading. The new 4er reinterprets these ideas but adds its own individuality. The larger grilles are due to customer reactions wanting far more presence and individuality.

The more I see it. The more it makes sense. It's a BMW Coupe synonymous with its past and sporting connections but reinterprets to be a modern icon. This will be the basis of course for the M4 and its Motorsport intentions. It's ideas infuse generations of the BMW Coupe.

However. I should not be the last word. Seek out the other BimmerPost members who have also seen the car.

Going by reactionary responses I have seen this before. It's an ever-revolving cycle. I am sure acceptance will come but as always there is the phases of denial and hatred before we reach acceptance.
I know the official pictures will probably not change everybody's opinions, but some will understand it more.

But I will now add I have seen the new 2.
Against its ideas are from a past concept,shrunk to size. The grille is again prominent but not as prominent or tall as THE 4.
This is significant as it allows each Coupe with its own design and its own identity from sporty compact to sporty luxury.
THE 4 is the balance in between.
As both a BMW customer and sales channel I disagree with you. using colourful jargon to justify what so many dedicated customers criticise will not correct the situation.

Yes; we want want distinctive and individual design. No; we do not want vulgar and grotesque interpretations of the elements we have come to love.

Case in hand with the new 7; we cried for more revolution in design over F02 but with the LCI we got clumsy Cyrano de Bergerac!

Come on! Look at how resolved and together the rival S class (also with a big grill) looks.

It is crazy to stay a course that is doomed for the sake of saying we have stayed on course.

As usual, I never expect you to comment or reply to my thoughts.

Last edited by N & M; 08-25-2019 at 02:21 AM.. Reason: Missing word
Appreciate 4
Fuller1216.50
keanu1377.00
Colinv64013.50
KRS_SN13433.00
      08-25-2019, 02:29 AM   #228
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarehs27 View Post
My version of what the grills are probably going to look like (based on Scott26's info)...You can also notice from the spy shots that it's not as upright, high or thin as in the renders.
Yes, you get it. Because i4/4 Gran Coupe are one of the same.
The i4 and 4 are derived from Vision iDynamics so you are looking at the ideas from the Vision iDynamics but interpreting therefore solving the issues to be productionised. So Vision iDynamics is very flat at the front which is not possible in regards to certain legislation so you have to raise the front to accommodate this, of course this is how the nose cone of the car becomes independent. As it addresses the impact,aerodynamics and engineering issues if not the aesthetic ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
I think there is 0 chance that front look like that in render...i show it to my 11 years old son..an he told me: Dad,if this is new BMW look,then we will skip to Porsche...
I'll add you to the list. I love these zero chance statements made by members. Those will be the members that I poke at the most.
Why not just design the front end similar to the g20 then? The g20 front end must have satisfied all of the safety, functional, and engineering requirements, and it doesn't look ridiculous. If the current design won't allow for anything but what's depicted in these renders, it should be back to the drawing board. That's the bottom line.

I'm the last one to complain about the recent grill designs. Even the x7 grill doesn't look nearly as bad as the 4 series renders. It's why I believe that either these renders are missing something, or these test cars are just testing the waters, and there's a contingency plan. If not, then, from someone who hasn't yet complained about any of the recent designs, the front end of these 4 series renders look like a mismatched, distasteful mess. Bmw has their critics, like any manufacturer, but I've never known their designs to be gaudy and distasteful.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 02:47 AM   #229
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

The tragedy is the rest of the car looks sleek and stylish, but then the front end looks brutally truncated with wide, flaring nostrils. It's like, "geez that 4 series looks like it experienced a head-on collision with a brick wall."

Either the rest of the car would have to be more square to better match the front, or the front should be more streamlined.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 02:47 AM   #230
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Oh my those grilles. :
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 04:00 AM   #231
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

The new 1 started (again) with a really bad (front fascia) design. Not a big surprise, they failed with the previous generation too (pre LCI, to be more precise).
But going in a such wrong direction with the 4, this is something I couldn't imagine....
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 04:04 AM   #232
BMW-ALPINA
Freude am Fahren
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50, F11 M550d, E70 X5

Garage List
2009 730dA  [0.00]
SCOTT26

Will the 4 Gran Coupe and i4 be a real "gran coupe" like the concept (like 6Gc/8GC), or will it be an "hatchback gran truismo" with 3rd window row (like 4GC)?

The car in the spyshots seems to be more like a GT than a GC to me. Its not so sleek and elegant like the Vision I and the real Gran Coupes, and that's a sad decision.

Why can't you make a gran coupe like Porsche Taycan and Audi e-tron GT, and not like an upraised ugly gran turismo? It seems like I have to order a Taycan to get an elegant EV.

Appreciate 3
oz555671.00
scrammer421.50
JTO245271.50
      08-25-2019, 05:34 AM   #233
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Cor blimey! Those grilles are going to be a tough sell in the showroom maybe it'll look better in the real life.
      08-25-2019, 06:24 AM   #234
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

BMW can either listen to their customers and provide a tasteful front grille worthy of the roundel or they can believe all of Scott 26 mumbo jumbo about design interpretation, pat themselves on the back and loose money.
Appreciate 1
scrammer421.50
      08-25-2019, 06:36 AM   #235
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

As i wrote before,when philosopher answer to your question,you forget what your have asked him..same with Scott26 last post...clueless.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #236
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Forget this kidneys. It’s that ‘weird’ small smiling mouth grill surrounding its bottom that looks ‘bad’.
Appreciate 1
scrammer421.50
      08-25-2019, 07:56 AM   #237
MParallel
Mr. OEM
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '98 E36 M3 AW/Black 1 of 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeseeker View Post
Jesus man that's seriously hideous. Not just the fact that they're throwing out the traditional kidney shape, but on its own it's just a hideous design.
This is the traditional kidney shape.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #238
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

BIMMERPOST G22 4 Series Coupe Digital Previews

Hey now, SCOTT26 is just the messenger here, don't shoot him. I appreciate the insider's explanation.

One sentence from your post, though - "The larger grilles are due to customer reactions wanting far more presence and individuality". I'm honestly baffled at which customers asked for this. People on here like to blame the Chinese, but I don't know anything about that market.

BMW's already have plenty of presence. You pay attention when an F80 or F90 fills your rearview mirror with its perfectly proportioned grill. and there is no such thing as 'individuality' on a mass produced lineup of vehicles when you're making tens of thousands with the same grill.

so I get that bpost is a small subsection of your customer/fan base, but my takeaway from this is that you'd rather listen to the tacky douchebags in your customer base than us. Most likely because there are more of them with more purchasing power...
Appreciate 2
JustChris17483.00
Dr.Deep1827.00
      08-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #239
CarbonAlpine
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M4

Am I the only one that sees "Lexus" tail lights?
Previous BMW: E36 Reiger Custom Green vert E46 ///M3 Cabonblack vert E46 ///M3 AW vert E63 645ci AW Coupe E92 ///M3 AW E93 ///M3 SG Vert
Appreciate 1
gatorfast4991.50
      08-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #240
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Hey now, SCOTT26 is just the messenger here, don't shoot him. I appreciate the insider's explanation.

One sentence from your post, though - "The larger grilles are due to customer reactions wanting far more presence and individuality". I'm honestly baffled at which customers asked for this. People on here like to blame the Chinese, but I don't know anything about that market.

BMW's already have plenty of presence. You pay attention when an F80 or F90 fills your rearview mirror with its perfectly proportioned grill. and there is no such thing as 'individuality' on a mass produced lineup of vehicles when you're making tens of thousands with the same grill.

so I get that bpost is a small subsection of your customer/fan base, but my takeaway from this is that you'd rather listen to the tacky douchebags in your customer base than us. Most likely because there are more of them with more purchasing power...
This is regarding THE 7 and THE X7.
Quite a lot of people commented on the 7er that it was practically anonymous. It's no longer and it's working.
      08-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #241
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonAlpine View Post
Am I the only one that sees "Lexus" tail lights?
BMW. Lexus copied and interpreted the familiar L outline of BMW.
oz555671.00
JTO245271.50
BMWRL596.00
      08-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #242
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post

If that is the case make different grilles for different markets.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread