Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Who has baby seats in their G20?

08-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #1
hksr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

Who has baby seats in their G20?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So I'm in the process of trying to figure out what I want as a baby hauler with our 2nd baby coming in December. Both will have to be in rear facing car seats for another couple years. Do any of you have rear facing car seats in the sedan? How tight is the fit?

Wife has the X5, so that's the primary baby hauler, but my Lexus is gonna be way too tight in the back seats for big convertible rear facing baby seats.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

dude you shouldn't have had the second kid. You could have used that money that you would have spent for the kids college fund on an X3M.

But all kidding aside congrats!
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
hksr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKrazyPolak View Post
dude you shouldn't have had the second kid. You could have used that money that you would have spent for the kids college fund on an X3M.

Lol thanks! I'm actually asking about the sedan because I have my eyes on the new M3 M5 is an option too... but not sure if I wanna spend that much... plus I've always wanted an M3.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hksr View Post
Lol thanks! I'm actually asking about the sedan because I have my eyes on the new M3 M5 is an option too... but not sure if I wanna spend that much... plus I've always wanted an M3.
X3M with 1.2" more rear seat legroom, which makes installing a rearward facing child seat a bit easier.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mw-x3-m-drive/
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
ThatKrazyPolak
Banned
Rep
Drives: 228xi (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
X3M with 1.2" more rear seat legroom, which makes installing a rearward facing child seat a bit easier.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mw-x3-m-drive/
Over 400BHP, best to start when they're young....
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
MadMoose
Private
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I'm 6'0" rear facing graco snugride 35lx fits behind me no issues.
Appreciate 1
hksr149.50
      08-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMoose View Post
I'm 6'0" rear facing baby seat fits behind me no issues.
Same here. Problem starts when they switch forward and their legs are pointing in your back.
      08-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #8
3ismagic#
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 330Xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatKrazyPolak View Post

I recent did some back of an envelope calcs and discovered that I could have bought a 911 Turbo with what I've spent over the past decade on childcare.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 01:07 AM   #9
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hksr View Post
So I'm in the process of trying to figure out what I want as a baby hauler with our 2nd baby coming in December. Both will have to be in rear facing car seats for another couple years. Do any of you have rear facing car seats in the sedan? How tight is the fit?

Wife has the X5, so that's the primary baby hauler, but my Lexus is gonna be way too tight in the back seats for big convertible rear facing baby seats.
We also have an X5 for the wife and the kids (two seats, one rear facing and one forward facing). We recently needed to switch cars and she had to take my M340, both seats fit very comfortably in the back with a full double stroller with the big bassinet in the trunk, with extra space even for the diaper bags!

Honestly, I was very impressed. The only problem we had was that there was no middle seat anymore in the back. In the X5 we could have a full sized adult fit comfortably in the middle between the two car seats.

If you want to use the G20 with two kids as the primary car, it would work, but it would be tight and probably not the best choice. But as a secondary car that might be used occasionally, there weren't any problems at all! Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 07:59 PM   #10
Bdwg22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

How does a stroller fit in the trunk? I'm coming from a small SUV so I'm wondering if there will be enough space with some bags.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 08:02 PM   #11
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiGijzen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMoose View Post
I'm 6'0" rear facing baby seat fits behind me no issues.
Same here. Problem starts when they switch forward and their legs are pointing in your back.
And kicking the back of your seat. : Kids! Lol.
      08-30-2019, 01:58 PM   #12
Jebk
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdwg22 View Post
How does a stroller fit in the trunk? I'm coming from a small SUV so I'm wondering if there will be enough space with some bags.
How bigs your stroller? Bear in mind that 3s are sized to be a main family car for most europeans.

I did a test fit at the dealer and can do a large suitcase and our city mini gt with room for some soft bags. I'll be putting the roofbox on for airport runs, but other than that it's fine.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2019, 05:36 PM   #13
Bdwg22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebk View Post
How bigs your stroller? Bear in mind that 3s are sized to be a main family car for most europeans.

I did a test fit at the dealer and can do a large suitcase and our city mini gt with room for some soft bags. I'll be putting the roofbox on for airport runs, but other than that it's fine.
Graco modes. It's a combination stroller with the seat that clicks into it. Also I would be getting the spare tire so I know that cuts into the height of the trunk. (Will not take a chance of being stranded with a shredded tire and baby). Guess I need to see in person at the dealer it's just hard getting there.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #14
NeverEnough007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 1991 Mtechnic E30

You cant use legroom metrics as they don't measure where the car seats and baby seats meet.

I brought my uppa-baby car seat to the dealer and tried a few cars. The uppa car seat for infants is used until about 9 months and is much more flat (and as a result longer) than the convertibles the kids eventually grow into. I am still cramped up front as a driver, but my wife is able to be comfortable with it behind her seat. In my infiniti, the uppa must be in the middle seat for 2 in the front. This is important because a second kid can fit with the uppa on one side instead of the middle.

Surprisingly, the X5, m5, had the same cramped set up length wise. As others have pointed out, width is really the only area you gain space.

The trunk space is more than enough to fit the strollers. The opening is very large and the bottom of the trunk opening is closer to the trunk floor which is quite nice for loading something large like a stroller.

In short, if you are using convertible seats right away, you will be fine. There are some websites that review the baby seats based on how shallow the fitment is.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #15
JasonX4MComp
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4M Comp

I have a front and rear facing in mine. The front facing carseat is behind the drivers seat since it takes up less room. I have to move my seat up when my daughter is in the car but it doesn't make driving uncomfortable. My wife has plenty of room still on the passenger side.

Even with a stroller in the trunk, there is plenty of room for suitcases. Just took a trip to the beach and got 2 suitcases, stroller, and my golf clubs in trunk.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #16
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I have a front and rear facing car seat and frequently use large strollers (the ones with giant shades, eating trays, storage areas, etc). My wife and I are more than comfortable (noticeably more so than my old 650 gran coupe).
Appreciate 0