Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK "Oil Level Above Maximum" Warning in I drive

12-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #1
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340D LCI

"Oil Level Above Maximum" Warning in I drive

I had an oil service carried our 10 days ago and then over the last two days I have had an "oil level over maximum" warning appear in the I drive telling me to get it checked at a service centre.

I returned the car today to the garage and they drained some oil but have advised that the in car electronic oil measurement does not correspond with the oil level currently showing on the dipstick.

They have advised me to continue to use the vehicle and return next week for a further check.

Any one else had issues with this?

I put two and two together and naturally assumed the garage had overfilled with oil during the service, but they don't feel that they have.

I have started to hear of issues with faulty electronic oil measurement sensors having to be replaced under warranty, but only in the G30 up to now.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
Amos91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 320d

What dipstick are they comparing it with? My car doesn't have one.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos91 View Post
Diesel should have a physical dipstick. Listed as a part with number on the 320d.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos91 View Post
Yes, the G20 does have one. I could not find it myself, but the mechanic showed me today when I got to the garage. It is at the back of the engine on the nearside. Had to get in there with a torch and remove the engine cover to better see.

Last edited by andy5468; 12-02-2020 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      12-02-2020, 04:24 PM   #5
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep

"Oil level above maximum" warning appeared again tonight within 10 minutes of starting my journey. I stopped and did the electronic measurement of engine oil in the I drive and it clearly shows the level as below maximum. The garage left it below max on the dipstick too, so we could see if it was a sensor issue.

Beginning to think this must be a sensor issue. Phone call to main dealer tomorrow to get this booked in for investigation.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d XDrive M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy5468 View Post
"Oil level above maximum" warning appeared again tonight within 10 minutes of starting my journey. I stopped and did the electronic measurement of engine oil in the I drive and it clearly shows the level as below maximum. The garage left it below max on the dipstick too, so we could see if it was a sensor issue.

Beginning to think this must be a sensor issue. Phone call to main dealer tomorrow to get this booked in for investigation.
Hey Andy, did you find out what the cause of this problem was? My can was serviced 3 weeks ago and just today i get the same message on the iDrive.

I stopped the car and check the level electronically and it showed it to be above Max and i'll check the dipstick tomorrow.

My only concern is that i got the can serviced at my local garage and not BMW so i'm not sure if i still has any warranty. The reason for this is because it's been in to BMW 4 times initially for a recall but they f**ked it up and other faults started to appear, so i wouldn't use them again.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 12:55 AM   #7
andy5468
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickkap View Post
Hey Andy, did you find out what the cause of this problem was? My can was serviced 3 weeks ago and just today i get the same message on the iDrive.

I stopped the car and check the level electronically and it showed it to be above Max and i'll check the dipstick tomorrow.

My only concern is that i got the can serviced at my local garage and not BMW so i'm not sure if i still has any warranty. The reason for this is because it's been in to BMW 4 times initially for a recall but they f**ked it up and other faults started to appear, so i wouldn't use them again.
Mine started going off about 10 days after the oil service. They drained some out after dipping it, saying it was "only slightly overfilled". I still had an overfill warning the following day and the electronic gauge showed three quarters full. The day after it was then reading maximum. It took a couple of days for the overfill warnings to stop and things to settle down. The warning has not gone off since and the electronic gauge is currently showing maximum.

My understanding is that the electronic oil measurement is very sensitive. They only need slightly overfill it as I believe they had done with mine and it will trigger the warnings.

Be aware that the electronic gauge appears to take at least a day or a few journeys to adjust and settle after it has been either filled or partially drained. The manual states that the electronic gauge does not read in "real time". Always go by the dipstick measurement for a "true" accurate reading of the levels.

If the warning continues to go off, you need to return it to the garage to check the dipstick and adjust oil as necessary before looking at a faulty sensor and warranty issues. Mine has been fine since it settled down a couple of days after they drained some out.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
rickkap37.50