Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

08-02-2020, 09:00 PM   #23
1claire
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Alpine White

I've consulted Google for rising and the majority of the result shows that it will somewhere near $50000.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #24
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
I agree.

If priced in the mid-$50's and has a real world range of 320-330 miles (EPA). A good battery warranty (w/ longevity similar to Tesla's Model 3), it will be a big seller. I'll buy one.

W/ Tesla's Battery Day coming Sept 22, it will be interesting to see Tesla will have up its sleeve. If there is a huge leap forward in their battery tech, I will wait.

It's only going to take one big advancement in battery tech that will put I.C.E. car makers on very thing "ice".
Haha well said!
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 09:50 PM   #25
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1claire View Post
I've consulted Google for rising and the majority of the result shows that it will somewhere near $50000.
If that is the case, I'm likely in. The Mach E is about that same price and the choice would be easy. Still wondering about Polestar 2 once past the loaded launch model.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #26
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I am shopping in this space. I want a sedan, not a small hatch, not a tall wagon, a sedan. I am an E90M3 and E63 AMG owner currently, and have had BMW's for a couple decades now.

I want an EV, sooner than later, but don't want a Tesla. I love Tesla but I love them in the same way I love 911's, I appreciate them and think they're awesome but don't particularly want that ownership experience. I don't trust them the way I trust BMW's ablity to turn out a finished product that works, is ergonomically and utility-sensible, and just generally well-supported before during and after release. They'll get there, but my family's experience with two teslas tells me to wait and let others enjoy the upsides (and the downsides).

BMW, for me, has always struck the perfect balance between price, performance, and utility with their small sedans. If the i4 strikes that same balance, I will be a buyer (lessor, probably, for the first time in my life, because touchscreens etc., and pace of innovaction in the EV space generally). They've gone a little wayward here and there, but the i4's close adherence to the 3-series' basic formula is really encouraging. The test mules have real tires on them and appear to be validating a big summer tire and brake package for performance drivers. I'm sure that combo will knock 50-60 miles off the "base" pizza cutter efficiency wheel adn tire setup, but I don't need 300 miles of range, and I don't need to get to 60 in 3 seconds. I want a taycan for half-off with half the performance, but with a legacy OEM behind it. Porsche's not going to make that car, and Audi is making weird crossover things, sooooo BMW it is.

I wouldn't sleep on BMW's ability to get this right. They have been making giant killers their entire lives. They just happen to finally have been challenged on their own turf by Tesla and find the shoe on the other foot. I think more likely is $60k base, $70k with a few "go-fast" options. In world of 10 year car financing and $80,000 Ford F150's, that's not such a crazy price point anymore. I think $50k for a base base car might be doable after incentives. I think it will lease at a rate comparable to the M340i.

Last edited by Richbot; 08-12-2020 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #27
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I think more likely is $60k base, $70k with a few "go-fast" options. In world of 10 year car financing and $80,000 Ford F150's, that's not such a crazy price point anymore. I think $50k for a base base car might be doable after incentives. I think it will lease at a rate comparable to the M340i.
I don't know for sure, however the $50K starting price has been bantered around by the car mags based upon what BMW has told them. If the car comes out $10K higher for a base model and another $10K for a nicely equipped example, that won't bode will for BMW or their marketing team.

Since BMW has not come forward to correct any of the Car magazines ($50K starting price stories), I'll wager we will see the i4 come out at or near the $50K price (using the 4 series "build yours" as a template) with the usual "Convenience Package","Executive Package" and "Performance Package" upgrades, with a few of the stand alone add-ons like HK radio, wheels, paint, interior leather and a few others. Estimate (based on the 4 series car configuator) @ $55-$56K for a well loaded example.

All this before any incentives (cannot imagine BMW would let that $50K price point estimate exist assuming a $7500 government incentive to get down to that price). It would be like a retailer advertising a product's price point based on a "Black Friday" sales.

A $70K loaded i4 would be a marketing nightmare for them IMO. It would (IMO) push more people to look to the Model 3 and Polestar and Mach E as alternatives. I know I'd be looking elsewhere.

History has shown manufacturers that produce a car that undercuts an estimated / projected sales price, really gain a huge market share. The C8 (which GM never divulged a starting price) became a sensation when announced as a sub $60K starting price. Forums were abuzz with members estimating high $70K to $80-$90K and as high a $150K before the car was released. No one could imagine a brand new mid-engine well optioned sports car being available for $59K.

If on the other hand, BMW debuts the i4 at @ the $49K-50K price point and a loaded example @ $55k, they could really capture a big market segment compared to the competition.

As an aside, It is rather unfortunate that BMW chose to go with the oversized grille on the i4. While not a consideration for me (I kinda like it), it is polarizing to many and could push some to look elsewhere for an EV.

I think BMW is betting that once the i4 hits the showrooms, people will be so impressed with the fit, finish, exterior and interior design, appointments and range, that the grille won't significantly affect sales. As a potential buyer, I hope they are correct.

Just my perspective and some reasoned ruminating.
Appreciate 2
Sportstick4605.50
VetteGuy845.50
      08-17-2020, 11:39 AM   #28
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
A $70K loaded i4 would be a marketing nightmare for them IMO.
I see little chance for the MSRP of the 523hp 80kWh model with all options spec'd coming in below $70. In fact, I suspect such a car will have an MSRP close to $80k.

However, I think that the maximum price one can pay for a given vehicle is typically unimportant. Instead, what matters most when it comes to dollar figures is the average transaction price, which I suspect will be around $60k. I'm sure that's still significantly higher than the average price of a Model 3, but it might be low enough to attain more volume (and perhaps, as a result, more profit) than Audi and Jaguar have with their first attempts at luxury BEVs.
Appreciate 1
J.J.R6.00
      08-21-2020, 10:48 PM   #29
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I see little chance for the MSRP of the 523hp 80kWh model with all options spec'd coming in below $70. In fact, I suspect such a car will have an MSRP close to $80k.

However, I think that the maximum price one can pay for a given vehicle is typically unimportant. Instead, what matters most when it comes to dollar figures is the average transaction price, which I suspect will be around $60k. I'm sure that's still significantly higher than the average price of a Model 3, but it might be low enough to attain more volume (and perhaps, as a result, more profit) than Audi and Jaguar have with their first attempts at luxury BEVs.
Also BMW is a leasing company that accidentally sells cars once in a while. If they can slide people into this car from their 5 or 3 with pretty close to the same “total cost” per month, it’ll still “sell”
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      08-21-2020, 11:46 PM   #30
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Also BMW is a leasing company that accidentally sells cars once in a while. If they can slide people into this car from their 5 or 3 with pretty close to the same “total cost” per month, it’ll still “sell”
My $51k 330i GT was zero down, $493/month, 10k miles/year, 36 months. If BMW can get close to that with i4, it will be in my garage.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
JasonDot579.50
      08-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #31
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
My $51k 330i GT was zero down, $493/month, 10k miles/year, 36 months. If BMW can get close to that with i4, it will be in my garage.
Ditto for me. As I'm getting older, I think that having trouble free driving on a depreciating investments starts to make more sense.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 10:11 PM   #32
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Because the i4 is the centerpiece of the new 4 series models, I suspect it will be comparable to the M440i which will leave buyers to decide between fossil fuel or electric. Then too, EV buyers want both more performance and more range, but both cost money, so that will come into play.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 02:31 PM   #33
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Same here, man. My sales fellow has me on his i4 watch list.

The i4 would trade places with my i3.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 03:42 PM   #34
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Notice, this is valid for Norway at least, where we don't have Tax nor other fees on electric cars.

Today, my sales rep told me it the latest info he has is that the first release will be priced at around the same price as the Model 3, and that we can expect about 600Km WLTP. That car will be RWD only. Later on, BMW will release an xDrive version, and probably that version will be more expensive. He suspects BMW will price the RWD version very aggressively, and make up for the losses with the AWD one.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 04:41 AM   #35
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nice info. The pricing must reflect with Audi GT also, which information will probably go live before i4.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 11:29 AM   #36
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Read the whole thread and there are some really good points.

One thing BMW can do that Tesla can't is good leases! In fact, almost no other manufacturer can compete with BMW in this department. This has to due with remarketing(large demand) and quality. If BMW can't compete on range, they will certainly excel in the leasing department and thus you will definitely see a ton of i4s on the street. Rember the i3.... I would never want one, but the lease deals were so good, I thought about it - and I saw them everywhere.

For BMW to compete against Tesla, the car has to first look good. Then the powertrains must at least be close to competing with Tesla. Lastly, the starting price must be less, especially if the range is not up to par.

Last edited by TheDudeMan; 10-16-2020 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
VetteGuy845.50
      10-28-2020, 10:59 PM   #37
uuni
First Lieutenant
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
Read the whole thread and there are some really good points.

One thing BMW can do that Tesla can't is good leases! In fact, almost no other manufacturer can compete with BMW in this department. This has to due with remarketing(large demand) and quality. If BMW can't compete on range, they will certainly excel in the leasing department and thus you will definitely see a ton of i4s on the street. Rember the i3.... I would never want one, but the lease deals were so good, I thought about it - and I saw them everywhere.

For BMW to compete against Tesla, the car has to first look good. Then the powertrains must at least be close to competing with Tesla. Lastly, the starting price must be less, especially if the range is not up to par.
I disagree, range is a consideration point when buying EV.

Model S has better range in paper but in real life Taycan (nearly) matches it within few percentages. And Taycan is not even trying to have most range, so in that department Tesla do not posses any advantage over others. Model S has also larger battery, better wheels/tyres for range than Taycan.

i4 range is subjected for several things but one is that it probably will be sporty and they are willing to sacrifice some range to achieve it, like in Taycan's case.

i4 will cost more than Model 3, but out of bag it will have normal paint, normal (better) noise insulation, have better options, look better, have quality interior, have better seats, have better dealer network, have better infotaiment system, rear bumper wont fall off due to the design flaws etc.

Recent times I have driven; Model S, Model 3, Taycan and Panamera Hybrid. The speed is obviously great and I drive faster than most, but all cars satisfy my need for speed. However, Teslas interiors, feel, looks and all around cheapness is something I cant live with.
Appreciate 1
VetteGuy845.50
      10-29-2020, 07:25 AM   #38
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Each of the last two posters make good points. IMO...

I think the i4 will first and foremost have to look good to get the initial attention. Tesla’s were a novelty when first launched the S but the entire line has grown stale both inside and out. Although a lot of a Tesla buyers are happy with the utilitarian approach, a competitor offering a more attractive package will garner attention.

Those buyers satisfied with the utilitarian a Tesla package, especially in the 3, may remain loyal but... like their German counterparts, General Motors, and upstarts like Lucid, BMW will be offering a more exciting package with more and nicer options to individualize their nicer cars.

Performance of the Tesla is hard to argue but BMW is known for its performance models and the i4 will certainly offer performance, not only in raw HP and torque, but in handling as well.

Range again is subjective. The average utilitarian buyer will not be as concerned with range, but some want cross country capability. Performance buyers will most like want more performance than range, but they will need enough battery to get reasonable range while showing off. Many will even want extended range for GT capability. While most charging will take place at home, partnerships in charging networks could help in canceling out the theory that Tesla has the only viable network which I don’t find all that vast today.

So if BMW can produce and i4 that blends BMW styling and performance with a reasonable range, that will put them in the market. It they can find a way to at least match range all the better. Doing so at a traditional BMW price point will be as critical as all of the other factors combined. My guess is that the i4 base will be competitive with the Tesla 3 base, but I think there will be more options available from BMW that will make most packages or iterations, like an M, cost considerably more than the Tesla but at least the buyer will have the options to build a much nicer product than the Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:49 PM   #39
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by uuni View Post
I disagree, range is a consideration point when buying EV.

Model S has better range in paper but in real life Taycan (nearly) matches it within few percentages. And Taycan is not even trying to have most range, so in that department Tesla do not posses any advantage over others. Model S has also larger battery, better wheels/tyres for range than Taycan.

i4 range is subjected for several things but one is that it probably will be sporty and they are willing to sacrifice some range to achieve it, like in Taycan's case.

i4 will cost more than Model 3, but out of bag it will have normal paint, normal (better) noise insulation, have better options, look better, have quality interior, have better seats, have better dealer network, have better infotaiment system, rear bumper wont fall off due to the design flaws etc.

Recent times I have driven; Model S, Model 3, Taycan and Panamera Hybrid. The speed is obviously great and I drive faster than most, but all cars satisfy my need for speed. However, Teslas interiors, feel, looks and all around cheapness is something I cant live with.
I don't disagree with you. IMO, range only comes into consideration if it's around 200miles, fully charged or less. I don't see BMW doing that. At min, you'll see 250+ max range from the i4 at around the same price as the Model 3 Standard range + which is exactly ~$38k without any options. However, you'll easily be able to option the car to $50k+

It would be a huge mistake for BMW not to price this car in the same range, especially if it cannot achieve the same mileage. They will not(hopefully) make the same mistake they did with the i3.
Appreciate 0