Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Performance Modding New 330i

11-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #67
Solid Snake
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Hi All

I own a 320i built July 2020 and I have been told the ECU is totally locked and you are unable to flash it. Would a piggyback JB4 work?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #68
nicksam5
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i

If anyone has bm3 stage 1 with their G20 can you message me ingress in your new stats.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #69
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Hi All

I own a 320i built July 2020 and I have been told the ECU is totally locked and you are unable to flash it. Would a piggyback JB4 work?
You can flash it after getting it bench unlocked. Or you can get a JB4. It works but the 320i has a different time from the factory which doesn't help a piggy back unlock its potential. Only a true tune can unleash it.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 06:47 PM   #70
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksam5 View Post
I got you. I'm mainly looking for a deeper noise and backfire is that is possible. Obviously want some performance too.
From the exhaust? Without actually getting a new exhaust system? Coding in sport + will give you more pops and bangs. I don't think a stage 1 tune alone will give you extra sound though.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 08:30 PM   #71
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
Hi All

If you are willing to void your drivetrain warranty get a tune I suggest get a jb+ and avoid the jb4. There's nothing wrong with the jb4 but the 20i tuning from the factory has a lot of gremlins that the jb4 won't fix (mainly hard-coded throttle closure and inability to target rich fuel ratios) so you're not going to get any extra performance (only the additional logging capabilities which may or may not be worth the extra 300-400usd to you) vs the jb+

I myself am going to go for a tune after my second dealer service and variously say fk it to the lady year of the 3yr warranty. If you have a good dealer that isn't too fussy about mods you might be able to get away with doing the tune earlier. Just note that even if they say they're cool with it, the proof is in the pudding, you'll never know until you ACTUALLY need to make a warranty claim to see if they honor their word. At the very least I suggest you wait for the first year service so any major manufacturing issues will hopefully pop up before you go ahead and tinker.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 10:36 AM   #72
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksam5 View Post
I got you. I'm mainly looking for a deeper noise and backfire is that is possible. Obviously want some performance too.
From the exhaust? Without actually getting a new exhaust system? Coding in sport + will give you more pops and bangs. I don't think a stage 1 tune alone will give you extra sound though.
@VipinLJ after coding in Sport + did you notice a considerable difference in sound? I have a 21 330i msport and I went for a drive this past weekend up to the mountains and realized how lack luster the car can be in the exhaust department. It is obviously a 4 cylinder so not expecting nothing crazy but it's silly that you can get more sounds when revving the car at a stand still but not while actually driving.

I also seen a few people that unplugged the connection to keep the valve open. Has anyone tried this?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #73
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTYAMSHAYIN View Post
@VipinLJ after coding in Sport + did you notice a considerable difference in sound? I have a 21 330i msport and I went for a drive this past weekend up to the mountains and realized how lack luster the car can be in the exhaust department. It is obviously a 4 cylinder so not expecting nothing crazy but it's silly that you can get more sounds when revving the car at a stand still but not while actually driving.

I also seen a few people that unplugged the connection to keep the valve open. Has anyone tried this?
My car pops and bangs a little more in sport +. I think I noticed it increase a wee bit after coding it in (I did it so long ago, I don't remember how it was in sport mode since I don't drive in sport anymore - always sport +).

And I use my JB4 to keep the exhaust valves open all the time. Car sounds throatier for sure. Obviously nothing like a new exhaust or even a muffler deleter. But yes.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 12:00 PM   #74
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My car pops and bangs a little more in sport +. I think I noticed it increase a wee bit after coding it in (I did it so long ago, I don't remember how it was in sport mode since I don't drive in sport anymore - always sport +).

And I use my JB4 to keep the exhaust valves open all the time. Car sounds throatier for sure. Obviously nothing like a new exhaust or even a muffler deleter. But yes.
Anyway to code in keeping the valves open?

I have a jb+ , not the jb4 yet but i may be making that upgrade in time after doing a few runs with what i have.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #75
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have a jb+ , not the jb4 yet but i may be making that upgrade in time after doing a few runs with what i have.
You can't code it in yet. What you can do is pull the connector off the valve actuator. Or remove the spring controlling it (when the valves are open).
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2021, 01:14 PM   #76
JTYAMSHAYIN
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You can't code it in yet. What you can do is pull the connector off the valve actuator. Or remove the spring controlling it (when the valves are open).
Hmm, yea jb4 might be the best option then to keep them open. Only thing holding me back is living in California we're limited to 91 octane because local government hates performance vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 05:09 PM   #77
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, yea jb4 might be the best option then to keep them open. Only thing holding me back is living in California we're limited to 91 octane because local government hates performance vehicles.
True unfortunately. Not sure if the JB4 will be an improvement for you since you're handicapped by fuel quality there. Thankfully we get 93octane and E85 here (I have four fuel stations selling E85 within a couple of miles from my house).
You might be better of sticking to a JB+ then? Again. I'm no expert. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 10:15 PM   #78
Knifeedge2k1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520i 2019

Cali has E85 right?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 02:46 AM   #79
EDMG20
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i M-Sport {THP}

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanknik View Post
Hi all,

I am a complete newb when it comes to this and am looking at getting a tune done and potentially an exhaust system.

The only thing that worries me is warranty, should anything go wrong. One suggestion that was made to me was to possible get the M performance exhaust system.. however I am unable to find much information on it for this car (from Australia) and it is also way more expensive than an after market one. The original plan was downpipe + bm3.

How many of you have done something similar and have you ever had issues in the past with mods and warranty?

Cheers
Hey, I have a 330i and a DP and stage 2 BM3... unfortunately I can't use BM3 because of the current DME locks. I personally would not go for an MPE the amount of money for the exhaust and tips is ridiculous IMO.
Appreciate 0