4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires TPMS Malfunction - G20 M340I

11-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #1
JayDopez
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X Drive

Exclamation TPMS Malfunction - G20 M340I

Hey guys, i just recently got my winter set up on my m340i.
I had factory set up of 19 inch rims with staggered set up.
For the winter I went with square set up of 18 inch rims from ART and Hakkapeliitta R3 225/45/R18 95T tires from Kal tires and got them to provide TPMS as well. Used the same OEM hardware on winter set up.

I drove off and the TPMS malfunction error did not go away. Drove around for 30 plus kms and went back again, and the technician re-set the TPMS from car and put in winter “other tyre” and said it would fix it. Anyways, I had a long journey ahead and the error stayed. I tried re-setting multiple times along with inputting different tyre types but the issue is for manual entry in m340i it only allows 225/45/R18 95H, there is no 95T option in the car selection settings. It shows me the tire recommended pressure and gives a malfunction error after calculating up to 50% progress.

I can not go back to the store for another month, and don't know if i can fix the issue or do i need to go back to ask if they used the right after market TPMS? Or do they need to reprogram it?

What tire settings do you all have inputted for TPMS winter set up in m340i?

Would appreciate some help or guidance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #2
M340_pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Maybe double check your paperwork to ensure the sensors they sold you are 433MHz. If so, here are the TPMS reset procedures if you want to try it yourself.
Attached Images

11-23-2020, 01:17 AM   #3
JayDopez
Rep

Thanks man.
I checked the receipt, it does not say details about the TPMS other than the charge. I am going to have to call them to confirm through the product code.
I hope they programmed it properly and did not forget to do one or screw one up lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340_pilot View Post
Maybe double check your paperwork to ensure the sensors they sold you are 433MHz. If so, here are the TPMS reset procedures if you want to try it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 09:54 PM   #4
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Sounds like the incorrect sensors were used. When I installed my wheels with completely different brand TPMS sensors, I didn't even have to reset the car to accept them I drove off and it just worked.

Since you can't go back for a month, give the shop a call and ask for a part number and see what frequency they are.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 10:43 PM   #5
JayDopez
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
Sounds like the incorrect sensors were used. When I installed my wheels with completely different brand TPMS sensors, I didn't even have to reset the car to accept them I drove off and it just worked.

Since you can't go back for a month, give the shop a call and ask for a part number and see what frequency they are.
Yeh, they said they will order BMW original ones, and get it installed free of charge for me next time I go there. So I guess I am just stuck with TPMS error on my dashboard for a month.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 11:39 PM   #6
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDopez View Post
Yeh, they said they will order BMW original ones, and get it installed free of charge for me next time I go there. So I guess I am just stuck with TPMS error on my dashboard for a month.
Could be worse I guess. Good shop for taking care of you.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 05:33 AM   #7
youngsandwich
Private
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i xDrive

How bad/annoying is the TPMS error on the dash? Basically is it easy to ignore? I am about to order my car and I have a winter setup already that I will use but does not currently have TPMS sensors. Given i'll probably get the car in early March I don't see a point in having the tires removed and sensors installed especially since I need new tires after this winter. So most likely i'd run them for 1-1.5mo before I put summers back on.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #8
JayDopez
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngsandwich View Post
How bad/annoying is the TPMS error on the dash? Basically, is it easy to ignore? I am about to order my car and I have a winter setup already that I will use but does not currently have TPMS sensors. Given I'll probably get the car in early March I don't see a point in having the tires removed and sensors installed especially since I need new tires after this winter. So most likely I'd run them for 1-1.5mo before I put summers back on.
It is not that bad, I can ignore the symbol but every-time you start the card on the screen it will give you an error notification and options to call roads assistance, etc... so that can be a little annoying as you have to close the notification as soon as you start the car.

You should be fine mate.
Appreciate 1