Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications [B46] Bootmod3 Stage 1 w/ 93 Octane on G20 First Impressions

06-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #199
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don76 View Post
I'm looking at purchasing bootmod3 for my 2020 320i

Car was produced in Feb 2020 so I'm aware the DME will be locked. Reading about bootmod3 it seems to able to get around this for my car.

One question I have is: When I take the car to the dealer for a service, I expect they'll likely reflash the ECU. Can I simply take the car home and reflash with bootmod3 to my chosen map? Or is it a one time flash?
I'll be following this

You should be able to easily flash back to stock and again to the stg1 tune afterwards. Just keep in mind that it will still be able to be noticed by BMW should there be any warranty related issues.
I'm not overly worried about it being noticed. I have the vrsf catless DP, MST cold air intake and an uprated charge pipe to fit - so it'll be noticeable that it's been modded.

My worry is how to future proof the tune following service at dealers / software updates.

If I've no limit on the number of times I can apply the map to the car then it seems the bootmod3 is ideal for my needs.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 01:02 PM   #200
dchm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i

Just map my 2019 320i with 93Octane stage1, feels more linear output for both Comfort and Sport modes. Tried different engine/gearbox combinations with the sport-individual settings, Sport-Plus gearbox is still pretty jerky for first few gears, just curious if you guys feel the same?
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      07-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #201
mokhan54
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchm View Post
Just map my 2019 320i with 93Octane stage1, feels more linear output for both Comfort and Sport modes. Tried different engine/gearbox combinations with the sport-individual settings, Sport-Plus gearbox is still pretty jerky for first few gears, just curious if you guys feel the same?
Yup, I have the same issue. It's very jerky in Sport mode. 1st gear pull isn't as quick as I expected (wheels don't even spin with traction off lol). BM3 asked me to send a log to them but I haven't had time.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      07-24-2020, 12:35 AM   #202
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

OT but interesting read

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1742168
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 04:15 PM   #203
grk26
Registered
Rep
Drives: F36 430i

Been trying to find out as much as possible about the B48 30i variant since I got my 430i (sorry I know it’s not a G20 lol) in January and came across this thread so thought I’d share my findings.

My car felt pretty quick but I was itching for more power so after A LOT of research I went with Bootmod3, as a few of you have mentioned it gives you the ability to flash back to stock whenever you want, go to stage 2 etc.

So I flashed stage 1 93 oct with no supporting mods (only a resonator delete and 440i backbox) - the car did feel quicker but tbh it was pretty underwhelming, thought I’d notice more of a difference. After I while I was curious to see how much difference the BM3 stage 1 tune actually made so flashed the car back to standard and had it on the dyno. It made 247HP 288lbft torque (higher than quoted bmw figure). I then flashed the BM3 stage 1 and had it dyno’d...results were weird. 265HP and 360lbft torque which had a massive spike at 2-2.5k RPM and then dipped.

I decided to have my car custom tuned so booked in with BW chiptune for today. They spent most of the day trying to get it just right and it was definitely worth it. 287BHP 350lbft torque. 99RON fuel in the UK (93 octane is the US I believe)

The peak torque figure is a little lower but it is so much smoother and constant throughout. The car delivers power so much better.

Here is the dyno graph:

I’m not sure if the PPF/OPF filter had an effect on the BM3 tune but I think it’s good for what it is but can’t beat a custom tune!
Appreciate 6
      07-28-2020, 08:39 PM   #204
chris_portimaog20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by grk26 View Post
Been trying to find out as much as possible about the B48 30i variant since I got my 430i (sorry I know it’s not a G20 lol) in January and came across this thread so thought I’d share my findings.

My car felt pretty quick but I was itching for more power so after A LOT of research I went with Bootmod3, as a few of you have mentioned it gives you the ability to flash back to stock whenever you want, go to stage 2 etc.

So I flashed stage 1 93 oct with no supporting mods (only a resonator delete and 440i backbox) - the car did feel quicker but tbh it was pretty underwhelming, thought I’d notice more of a difference. After I while I was curious to see how much difference the BM3 stage 1 tune actually made so flashed the car back to standard and had it on the dyno. It made 247HP 288lbft torque (higher than quoted bmw figure). I then flashed the BM3 stage 1 and had it dyno’d...results were weird. 265HP and 360lbft torque which had a massive spike at 2-2.5k RPM and then dipped.

I decided to have my car custom tuned so booked in with BW chiptune for today. They spent most of the day trying to get it just right and it was definitely worth it. 287BHP 350lbft torque. 99RON fuel in the UK (93 octane is the US I believe)

The peak torque figure is a little lower but it is so much smoother and constant throughout. The car delivers power so much better.

Here is the dyno graph:

I’m not sure if the PPF/OPF filter had an effect on the BM3 tune but I think it’s good for what it is but can’t beat a custom tune!
very nice with that much increase are you planning on changing some parts to alleviate the stress on your engine (ie downpipe, charge pipe, intercooler etc.)?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #205
grk26
Registered
Rep
Drives: F36 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_portimaog20 View Post
very nice with that much increase are you planning on changing some parts to alleviate the stress on your engine (ie downpipe, charge pipe, intercooler etc.)?
No I don’t think so... based on PTF BM3 claiming a stage 1 tune with a 16% increase will require no hardware mods I think the custom map delivers that 16% increase and hasn’t increased boost too much. Let’s see how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 09:10 AM   #206
chris_portimaog20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No I don’t think so... based on PTF BM3 claiming a stage 1 tune with a 16% increase will require no hardware mods I think the custom map delivers that 16% increase and hasn’t increased boost too much. Let’s see how it goes!
question about the install for the G20 do you need to put the car in diagnostic mode before starting. because unlike F30s pressing the start/stop button once does nothing in my car
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 10:19 AM   #207
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_portimaog20 View Post
question about the install for the G20 do you need to put the car in diagnostic mode before starting. because unlike F30s pressing the start/stop button once does nothing in my car
Yes it has to be in diagnostic mode. And in the G20, it's pressing the button 3 times quickly that puts it in diagnostic mode.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #208
chris_portimaog20
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Yes it has to be in diagnostic mode. And in the G20, it's pressing the button 3 times quickly that puts it in diagnostic mode.
thx
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #209
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Quote:

Here is the dyno graph:

Also have a F32 2018 B48 and this makes me excited...will be going stage 2 soon
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 06:37 AM   #210
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 ZHP, 19 X5 xDrive40i

I just posted this on the software update sticky, but thought it should be here too:

I was happily on 07/2019. I finally got the notice that 11/2019 was ready to install and somehow I lost my mind, didn't follow my own advice and installed it. Then I recalled reading how you lose all of your coding (easy to fix) and lose your tune (should be easy to fix). Well you don't 'lose your tune', BMW put another layer of 'protection' in the DME and my car bricked when I went to reinstall my BM3 Stage 1 tune. The guys at PTF fixed it (back to stock only), it took 30 minutes, but now the DME has to be bench unlocked (for free). I'm sending it to them next week.

So, I'm stupid, I didn't listen to my own advice. If you have a tune DO NOT 'upgrade' software. PTF tells me that each new 'upgrade' may require a bench unlock each time, until they figure out how to hack around each new BMW encryption. Honestly, like a I said before, there is NOTHING so important to merit urgently performing these updates. Also would add the customer service from PTF is A++++.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      09-15-2020, 10:06 AM   #211
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
I just posted this on the software update sticky, but thought it should be here too:

I was happily on 07/2019. I finally got the notice that 11/2019 was ready to install and somehow I lost my mind, didn't follow my own advice and installed it. Then I recalled reading how you lose all of your coding (easy to fix) and lose your tune (should be easy to fix). Well you don't 'lose your tune', BMW put another layer of 'protection' in the DME and my car bricked when I went to reinstall my BM3 Stage 1 tune. The guys at PTF fixed it (back to stock only), it took 30 minutes, but now the DME has to be bench unlocked (for free). I'm sending it to them next week.

So, I'm stupid, I didn't listen to my own advice. If you have a tune DO NOT 'upgrade' software. PTF tells me that each new 'upgrade' may require a bench unlock each time, until they figure out how to hack around each new BMW encryption. Honestly, like a I said before, there is NOTHING so important to merit urgently performing these updates. Also would add the customer service from PTF is A++++.
Sounds like maybe an in-line module (JB4/Dinantronics) is the way to go with this platform if they're going to continue to add/change encryption.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #212
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've had piggybacks and DME flashes on various cars. BMS makes great products, I've had them on a X3 and a Golf R, but install is a pain. Flash tunes are easy and if done well can be slightly better performance wise. I went with the flash, but knowing what I know now, sure the JB4 looks good. OTOH, I could care less about the BMW software updates and there is no way I'm doing another one.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #213
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Same reason why I'm running a JB4 on my car (since my car had a locked DME and I bricked it when flashing BM3 without checking (this was way back when no one knew for sure what BMW was upto and there were no bench unlocking options then)).
If I had bought my car and warranty was absolutely not an issue, I'd have flash tuned it. But since its a lease and I don't want to piss BMW off too much, I'm sticking to a piggyback for now. I'm more than happy with my JB4. I also have owned/own tuned cars and tunes are better if one wants an OEM+ power delivery. Piggy backs work once the turbo comes into play, which not everyone might like.
And honestly, installing the JB4 is extremely easy on a BMW. It's more difficult in a VW/Audi, especially if its an S3 where you apparently need to get under the car. Right now, I can install my JB4 in my 330i in less than a minute. Uninstall takes a little more time because the damn OBD plug is in there tight. But 2 minutes from hood up to hood down is all you need.

PS - Car was in for a service last week. They scoped my car. Connected it to their software. No flags whatsoever. I spoke to the tech and asked them about the stuff I'd read online where they said BMW now warns the tech when the car is connected that it could be tuned and he said it was true. But my car didn't appear to be tuned since no warning popped up (I had removed the JB4 250 miles before it was due for service). Not saying piggyback are undetectable (they can if they dig deep enough).
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 04:44 PM   #214
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Piggybacks are undetectable, anyone saying they are is a scaremonger.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #215
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
Piggybacks are undetectable, anyone saying they are is a scaremonger.
I honestly have no idea. All I know is from what I've read online. I've had a few cars with piggybacks and none of them have been flagged ever. But they also didn't need any warranty work. So yes.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #216
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I honestly have no idea. All I know is from what I've read online. I've had a few cars with piggybacks and none of them have been flagged ever. But they also didn't need any warranty work. So yes.
So even after your BM3 incident, they did not find that you had previously attempted to unlock the DME through Bootmod3?

That’s very interesting considering you ran into errors which all got cleared up by BM3 support, and BMW did not find a single thing regarding that, this is very good info if you ask me
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #217
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
So even after your BM3 incident, they did not find that you had previously attempted to unlock the DME through Bootmod3?

That’s very interesting considering you ran into errors which all got cleared up by BM3 support, and BMW did not find a single thing regarding that, this is very good info if you ask me
Yes. I asked them about tunes because I was scared they’d find out that I had tried to flash it, which technically is enough for them to void warranty. But nope. They said absolutely no errors or notifications from the system and even asked if I was tuned since I guess I asked a lot of questions They said they don’t care if the car is tuned or not. It’s the system that cares. If the system doesn’t throw up a warning and they know that the car is tuned, they don’t do anything about it.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
Avaley728.00
      10-08-2020, 03:29 PM   #218
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes. I asked them about tunes because I was scared they’d find out that I had tried to flash it, which technically is enough for them to void warranty. But nope. They said absolutely no errors or notifications from the system and even asked if I was tuned since I guess I asked a lot of questions They said they don’t care if the car is tuned or not. It’s the system that cares. If the system doesn’t throw up a warning and they know that the car is tuned, they don’t do anything about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post

+1. Have flashed and been to dealer for service both unflashed to stock and left flashed stage 1 at 2 different service locations. Not a word...most the service techs are mainly focused on getting you in and out, and being able to bill corporate for the standard service, if they want to book that service bill, they prob won't say anything.

my service guy straight up told me i should tune my car while i was covered in standard warranty, but YMMV.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      10-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #219
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchm View Post
there is a massive torque spike in 2nd gear at like 3000 RPM if i recall, this is normal. A custom tuner can smooth it out, otherwise perhaps try xHP trans tune or custom boost reductions in either bm3 or a custom shift editor via xHP

Last edited by Avaley; 10-11-2020 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 11:33 AM   #220
nicksam5
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i

Does anyone know if stage 1 backfires?
Appreciate 0