Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Performance Modding New 330i

02-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #1
shanknik
Enlisted Member
Balearic Islands
Rep
Drives: Man

Performance Modding New 330i

Hi all,

I am a complete newb when it comes to this and am looking at getting a tune done and potentially an exhaust system.

The only thing that worries me is warranty, should anything go wrong. One suggestion that was made to me was to possible get the M performance exhaust system.. however I am unable to find much information on it for this car (from Australia) and it is also way more expensive than an after market one. The original plan was downpipe + bm3.

How many of you have done something similar and have you ever had issues in the past with mods and warranty?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
shanknik
Enlisted Member
Balearic Islands
Rep

One of the local guys I took it to had a look and said the only thing you could do to increase performance and sound is to upgrade the cat (warranty void) and if you just wanted sound upgrade the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanknik View Post
Hi all,

I am a complete newb when it comes to this and am looking at getting a tune done and potentially an exhaust system.

The only thing that worries me is warranty, should anything go wrong. One suggestion that was made to me was to possible get the M performance exhaust system.. however I am unable to find much information on it for this car (from Australia) and it is also way more expensive than an after market one. The original plan was downpipe + bm3.

How many of you have done something similar and have you ever had issues in the past with mods and warranty?

Cheers
In your case, i would recommend a JB4. You can remove it before your dealership visit.

downpipe do not add any stress to stock component so you should be fine warranty wise with this mod

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
shanknik
Enlisted Member
Balearic Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
In your case, i would recommend a JB4. You can remove it before your dealership visit.

downpipe do not add any stress to stock component so you should be fine warranty wise with this mod
Thanks Mike, can the bm3 not be flashed back to stock as well?
Do you mean just the down pipe or a carless / upgraded cat as well?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 01:55 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
bm3 can be flashed back to stock.

Any high flow downpipe is easier on your turbo/engine than the stock pipe. This applies to catless or high flow catted

Appreciate 1
hamzag20556.00
      02-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #6
shanknik
Enlisted Member
Balearic Islands
Rep

Quote:

Any high flow downpipe is easier on your turbo/engine than the stock pipe. This applies to catless or high flow catted
Legend, and in terms of performance and sound will they assist?. I was also thinking of getting a billet intake or similar.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #7
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i, BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Hey Mike,

I am on a lease and am confused between JB4 and Bootmod3. However, I feel like I like the Bootmod3 more since I've heard better things about the tune itself but nervous because one forum member on this B48 forum bricked his car while installing Bootmod3. However, do you think this is an OK option on a lease if I flash it back to stock. Also, do I need to get a downpipe for a stage 1 tune on Bootmod3? Lastly, will I need to buy a battery if I do end up getting Bootmod3? If so, can I just use jumper cables while connected to another car (Ik tht might sound dumb) but just curious?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #8
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamzag20 View Post
Hey Mike,

I am on a lease and am confused between JB4 and Bootmod3. However, I feel like I like the Bootmod3 more since I've heard better things about the tune itself but nervous because one forum member on this B48 forum bricked his car while installing Bootmod3. However, do you think this is an OK option on a lease if I flash it back to stock. Also, do I need to get a downpipe for a stage 1 tune on Bootmod3? Lastly, will I need to buy a battery if I do end up getting Bootmod3? If so, can I just use jumper cables while connected to another car (Ik tht might sound dumb) but just curious?
Thanks
That forum member is me Unfortunately, I haven’t had the guts to try it again and ended up getting a Jb+ for now. I might get one a few months later after a while after seeing how people with newer G20s are doing.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #9
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
Hey Mike,

Thanks
That forum member is me Unfortunately, I haven’t had the guts to try it again and ended up getting a Jb+ for now. I might get one a few months later after a while after seeing how people with newer G20s are doing.
Yup lol it was you. I'm super confused between a JB+ and Bootmod3. I want Bootmod3 really badly however ur story has haunted me. It scares me even more because my car's a lease too. I don't know if it's worth it to get a tune considering I'm on a lease but I feel like my stock car needs more power. I'm also hoping Bootmod3 can make my car sound better. I feel like ur battery might've died while you were flashing ur car maybe?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 04:19 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Mike,

Thanks
I have a lease car and im running bootmod3 + all the FBO mods including exhaust

Both options are fine as long you remove it before your dealership visit.

If you are running bootmod3, make sure you tell them to not update the ECU version

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 05:59 PM   #11
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Mike,

Thanks
I have a lease car and im running bootmod3 + all the FBO mods including exhaust

Both options are fine as long you remove it before your dealership visit.

If you are running bootmod3, make sure you tell them to not update the ECU version
Make sure I don't tell my dealership to update my ECU?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:17 PM   #12
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup lol it was you. I'm super confused between a JB+ and Bootmod3. I want Bootmod3 really badly however ur story has haunted me. It scares me even more because my car's a lease too. I don't know if it's worth it to get a tune considering I'm on a lease but I feel like my stock car needs more power. I'm also hoping Bootmod3 can make my car sound better. I feel like ur battery might've died while you were flashing ur car maybe?
Nope. Battery did not die. The car refused to start saying it was parked on an incline and that it was in gear. When both were not true (car was parked on absolutely level ground in my garage and it was in P as show on the dash and gear selector). And it happened right at the end of the flashing process (after around 95%). I did some digging around with the help of g20beam and we found that someone had the exact same issue I had on their M2C (right down to what it said when it was being flashed). In his car, they said it was because the software was the updated one by BMW wherein they’re making it harder to flash cars via obd alone and it needs to be bench flashed first.

Someone else who knows a bit about BMWs said cars post mid-2019 had the updated software (not sure how true it is but in my case that might be it). My car was manufactured in 08/2019.

I messaged a few people who had BM3 tunes on their cars and both their cars were early model cars (very early 2019 and early 2018). Which as probably why they were successful. I have not come across anyone else with a newer car that is running BM3.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 10:20 PM   #13
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Make sure I don't tell my dealership to update my ECU?
Correct if there is an update to the DME version and they install the newest version you lose your bootmod3 flash.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 01:16 AM   #14
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nope. Battery did not die. The car refused to start saying it was parked on an incline and that it was in gear. When both were not true (car was parked on absolutely level ground in my garage and it was in P as show on the dash and gear selector). And it happened right at the end of the flashing process (after around 95%). I did some digging around with the help of g20beam and we found that someone had the exact same issue I had on their M2C (right down to what it said when it was being flashed). In his car, they said it was because the software was the updated one by BMW wherein they’re making it harder to flash cars via obd alone and it needs to be bench flashed first.

Someone else who knows a bit about BMWs said cars post mid-2019 had the updated software (not sure how true it is but in my case that might be it). My car was manufactured in 08/2019.

I messaged a few people who had BM3 tunes on their cars and both their cars were early model cars (very early 2019 and early 2018). Which as probably why they were successful. I have not come across anyone else with a newer car that is running BM3.
Ah, hopefully it's just a production date thing bc I had one of the first G20's in the US (mine being produced in late 2018) so hopefully I don't run into any issues. However, I want to be confident that it's just production date issues and not any other issues. Also, after deciding my car I was able to find out it's a B46d and not B48 so hopefully i don't run into issues bc of tht either. Super confused rn lol
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:22 AM   #15
egor.bruilo1
Belarus
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:07 AM   #16
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Ah, hopefully it's just a production date thing bc I had one of the first G20's in the US (mine being produced in late 2018) so hopefully I don't run into any issues. However, I want to be confident that it's just production date issues and not any other issues. Also, after deciding my car I was able to find out it's a B46d and not B48 so hopefully i don't run into issues bc of tht either. Super confused rn lol
It’s both the production date and the ECU software date. If your car is produced in 2018 and it was flashed with the updated ECU software from late 2019, you lose the ability to flash BM3. So the criteria for being able to flash BM3 is limited to

1) Your car MUST be produced before March 2019 (Or so the guy said on another thread on M2C forum about cars produced after March 2019 cannot be flashed with BM3)

2) Your car MUST have the early 2019 ECU software
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #17
Tryboz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
Quote:
It’s both the production date and the ECU software date. If your car is produced in 2018 and it was flashed with the updated ECU software from late 2019, you lose the ability to flash BM3. So the criteria for being able to flash BM3 is limited to

1) Your car MUST be produced before March 2019 (Or so the guy said on another thread on M2C forum about cars produced after March 2019 cannot be flashed with BM3)

Wish i saw this thread before I flashed BM3. Getting quite a few errors, when I lock the car the alarm goes off so I cant keep the car locked. Trying to work thru issues with them but getting scared....

2020 330i stage 1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #18
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like g20beam said. Older software is what is needed. G20beam and another member on another forum who’s running BM3 both have cars that were bought before the supposed software update and they’re both running it without any issues. You can use a vin decoder site to find out when your car was produced (if you don’t know when) and proceed accordingly.
And the BM3 B48 software works with the B46D engine too, as long as your car has the older BMW each software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryboz View Post
Wish i saw this thread before I flashed BM3. Getting quite a few errors, when I lock the car the alarm goes off so I cant keep the car locked. Trying to work thru issues with them but getting scared....

2020 330i stage 1
That looks like the errors I got.
And I also had that issue. When my car was dead and I locked it, the alarm went off. So I had to leave it unlocked in my garage to stop the alarm from going off.

Also, does your car start? What is the production date of your car?

Pics below are from my car when it wasnt turning on.
Attached Images

2017 Audi A7 Prestige

Last edited by VipinLJ; 02-12-2020 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 01:34 PM   #19
Tryboz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Like g20beam said. Older software is what is needed. G20beam and another member on another forum who’s running BM3 both have cars that were bought before the supposed software update and they’re both running it without any issues. You can use a vin decoder site to find out when your car was produced (if you don’t know when) and proceed accordingly.
And the BM3 B48 software works with the B46D engine too, as long as your car has the older BMW each software.

Quote:

2020 330i stage 1
That looks like the errors I got.
And I also had that issue. When my car was dead and I locked it, the alarm went off. So I had to leave it unlocked in my garage to stop the alarm from going off.

Also, does your car start? What is the production date of your car?

Pics below are from my car when it wasnt turning on.
My car starts and drives normally, i assume. Believe production is June 2019.

Sorry if I overlooked, how did you resolve? I tried flashing back to stock and stock with locked DME. It accepts the flash but still get errors and cant keep locked without alarm sounding.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 02:06 PM   #20
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sorry if I overlooked, how did you resolve? I tried flashing back to stock and stock with locked DME. It accepts the flash but still get errors and cant keep locked without alarm sounding.
I ran the BM3 diagnostics thing and cleared it multiple times. First couple of times the error didn’t go away but after a few tries it went away.

Did online recode work for you? When I tried it, it said no need for online recode on dme since coding was already present.
In the agent, it said flashing was successful but coding wasn’t applied and online recoding was needed. The whole thing was messed up for me.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 04:45 PM   #21
Tryboz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I ran the BM3 diagnostics thing and cleared it multiple times. First couple of times the error didn’t go away but after a few tries it went away.

Did online recode work for you? When I tried it, it said no need for online recode on dme since coding was already present.
In the agent, it said flashing was successful but coding wasn’t applied and online recoding was needed. The whole thing was messed up for me.
I didn't try online recoder because thought that was for fuel error warnings which I didnt have. I had them remote login to my pc and they basically reflashed. The alarm problem seemed to go away. I thought i lost the maps in the virtual dashboard cockpit but i turned that on/off and it came back. My wifi agent would still get errors (tried clearing multiple times) so i disconnected car battery to see if I could try that method. Nothing. Decided to just flash back to stock and lock DME again and alarm problem is back with a few error codes. The tune was working really well on my '18 M2 but right now this thing is a pain. I just want it back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 07:37 PM   #22
hamzag20
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
Quote:

I know my car was produced in December 2018 but I have no idea when my ECU was updated. How would I check?
Appreciate 0