Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions New "M" digital key

04-19-2021, 10:27 PM   #111
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The key card does not need a phone to work, the digital key does. You may need to have the charging tray option, that I don't know.
Ahhh okay! I haven't messed with it yet so I'll need to study up. Thanks.

EDIT: I'm confused about the benefits of the key card. I watched a video on YouTube and for some reason just not seeing the benefits of it. Is it just for those that don't want to have the actual key on them? It's not exactly a large key.

This key will not be used by me. I don't have an issue carrying my key fob and not really sure why others do. It's a pretty flat key fob and not a big deal to me. Having to put it in the charging tray to work is stupid IMO. I'd rather have the key in my pocket and not have to screw around with it in order to lock/unlock the doors or start the engine.

I think Burrcold said it best earlier in this thread(2019). I LOL'd when reading it.

Last edited by TiMSport; 04-19-2021 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:45 PM   #112
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post

EDIT: I'm confused about the benefits of the key card. I watched a video on YouTube and for some reason just not seeing the benefits of it. Is it just for those that don't want to have the actual key on them? It's not exactly a large key.

This key will not be used by me. I don't have an issue carrying my key fob and not really sure why others do. It's a pretty flat key fob and not a big deal to me. Having to put it in the charging tray to work is stupid IMO. I'd rather have the key in my pocket and not have to screw around with it in order to lock/unlock the doors or start the engine.

I think Burrcold said it best earlier in this thread(2019). I LOL'd when reading it.

Yes, so the key fob doesn't have to be carried. The key card can get wet, lighter when jogging, etc. I hide mine in my X5 so if I ever lose the key I can open it with my cell phone and then use the card to start it.
Sedan_Clan25127.50
      04-20-2021, 12:00 AM   #113
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Yes, so the key fob doesn't have to be carried. The key card can get wet, lighter when jogging, etc. I hide mine in my X5 so if I ever lose the key I can open it with my cell phone and then use the card to start it.
Okay, I could see that being somewhat useful. Still probably won't use it though, lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 12:53 AM   #114
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:

That's a thought. I hate carrying keys in my pocket so I'm certain to use the digital key/key card.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:06 AM   #115
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
That's a thought. I hate carrying keys in my pocket so I'm certain to use the digital key/key card.
Except if you don't own an iPhone to open the door to get the key card in that scenario. Lol.

I may experiment with the card to see if it grows on me.
For me, it's just a matter of whether I want the card or the key fob in my pocket. To me, this BMW key fob is relatively small compared to some others I have so it hasn't been a big deal to me. But if you're using the card when running or something similar, that would be a benefit.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25127.50
      04-20-2021, 09:10 AM   #116
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Except if you don't own an iPhone to open the door to get the key card in that scenario. Lol.

For me, it's just a matter of whether I want the card or the key fob in my pocket. To me, this BMW key fob is relatively small compared to some others I have so it hasn't been a big deal to me. But if you're using the card when running or something similar, that would be a benefit.
I'm always trying to minimize what's in my pockets, so the thought of a card key coupled with my iPhone is an awesome consideration.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12803.00
      04-20-2021, 09:17 AM   #117
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:

You don't need an iPhone to open the door. The app works for iPhone and Android.
Sedan_Clan25127.50
      04-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #118
Cabbage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
I can confirm this is true. Normal BMW's get a black card with "BMW" letters. M Sport cars get a white card with a M badge. M performance cars and M cars get a black card with a M badge. You also get a plastic sleeve to put the card in to. This card comes for free with any BMW that has comfort access. If your car does not have comfort access, you will not get a card. You can also not buy a not yet activated card and activate it with your car because the card only works with a BMW with comfort access.
      04-20-2021, 09:58 AM   #119
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 -> G20

Quote:

I would love to have the Digital key in my Samsung phone, but unfortunately until BMW enables this in the future, I will carry my Key Card.

Pros of using Key Card:
1) No need to carry a physical key with you always (one less to worry in your pocket).
2) Avoid accidental unlock or trigger false alarm or pop open the trunk.
3) Snap the Key card in my mobile case sleeve, so basically I carry my phone with 2 sleeves (1 for DL & 1 for Key Card) & no Wallet.

Cons of using Key Card (Physical Key):
1) Won't be able to Lock or Unlock the car as you walk away or walk towards the car.
2) Unable to Kick Open/Close the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 10:08 AM   #120
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
You don't need an iPhone to open the door. The app works for iPhone and Android.
I've read that currently the app is only working for the iPhone though. In fact, the BMW website description only describes use with the iPhone for some reason. Previously it was only functional with Android devices (saw this in video). So now it'll work with both?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #121
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I've read that currently the app is only working for the iPhone though. In fact, the BMW website description only describes use with the iPhone for some reason. Previously it was only functional with Android devices (saw this in video). So now it'll work with both?
I have not heard that it wasn't working with Android. I just checked Google Play and there are positive reviews there so would imagine it is working.
      04-20-2021, 10:16 AM   #122
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer006 View Post
I would love to have the Digital key in my Samsung phone, but unfortunately until BMW enables this in the future, I will carry my Key Card.
I'd like to confirm but does the app not function with Android? It's not limited to Samsung, right? I'm hearing mixed messaging on functionality with Android phones.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 10:21 AM   #123
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'd like to confirm but does the app not function with Android? It's not limited to Samsung, right? I'm hearing mixed messaging on functionality with Android phones.
myBMW app & BMW Connected drive app both works with Android & Apple. But if you are referring to Digital Key from these apps then here it is.

BMW Connected drive app:
1) If your car is manufactured before July 2020 then the digital key is available only for Android phones.
2) If your car is manufactured after July 2020 then the digital key is available only for Apple phones.

myBMW app:
1) I believe currently only Apple phones can setup their digital keys and again only for the cars manufactured after July 2020 will support digital keys for Apple.
2) There is no word yet from BMW when they will enable the digital key back again for Android phones & for the cars manufactured after July 2020.

In anycase with or without Digital keys setup on their phones. You can still Lock / Unlock the car using the mobile apps.
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12803.00
      04-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #124
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Thank you, this is helpful. Yeah I was referring to the digital key and your information is what I had thought.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2021, 10:47 AM   #125
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, this is helpful. Yeah I was referring to the digital key and your information is what I had thought.
Glad it helps. I know it's a bit confusing with multiple factors involved. Hopefully BMW will clean this up to make Digital key available for both Apple & Android devices in the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:15 AM   #126
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Glad it helps. I know it's a bit confusing with multiple factors involved. Hopefully BMW will clean this up to make Digital key available for both Apple & Android devices in the future.
Agreed. It doesn't make any sense to provide functionality on only one platform (iPhone or Android).
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:25 AM   #127
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. It doesn't make any sense to provide functionality on only one platform (iPhone or Android).
I hope BMW will not take years to have this enabled for Android, just like what they did with Android Auto lol
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12803.00
      04-20-2021, 02:02 PM   #128
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Okay I programmed my key card a short while ago. It is pretty cool how it works. I just wouldn't want to lose it!
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25127.50
      04-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #129
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Okay I programmed my key card a short while ago. It is pretty cool how it works. I just wouldn't want to lose it!
Great, incase you ever lose your Key card, then all it takes is link another card with your profile and the lost card will be removed automatically.

Also, another good thing is if your Key Card is lost its only 50$ I believe, but if you lose a physical key it's more than 50$.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 02:51 PM   #130
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Great, incase you ever lose your Key card, then all it takes is link another card with your profile and the lost card will be removed automatically.

Also, another good thing is if your Key Card is lost its only 50$ I believe, but if you lose a physical key it's more than 50$.
Oh yes, good points. Yeah I don't know what BMW charges for a new key but in the case of Audi it's like $500 bucks or something crazy expensive. $50 bucks is definitely reasonable.

I will say though, as cool as the key card is, you still have to hold it in your hand to lock/unlock the doors, right? You also have to place the card in the phone charging spot in the center console in order to start the engine. You can't simply keep that in your pocket or wallet, etc. unless I'm missing something. As such, I still prefer the old fashioned key fob. I don't want to have to take it out of my pocket to do the trivial stuff.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25127.50
      04-20-2021, 03:00 PM   #131
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I will say though, as cool as the key card is, you still have to hold it in your hand to lock/unlock the doors, right? You also have to place the card in the phone charging spot in the center console in order to start the engine. You can't simply keep that in your pocket or wallet, etc. unless I'm missing something. As such, I still prefer the old fashioned key fob. I don't want to have to take it out of my pocket to do the trivial stuff.
Yes, you are right about it. I know BMW is currently in tie up with Samsung to come up with a digital key using UWB, i'm hoping that in future we can use digital key as a key fob (meaning just touch the door handle to lock and unlock the car, without taking the card out and place it by the door handle).
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25127.50
      04-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #132
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you are right about it. I know BMW is currently in tie up with Samsung to come up with a digital key using UWB, i'm hoping that in future we can use digital key as a key fob (meaning just touch the door handle to lock and unlock the car, without taking the card out and place it by the door handle).
Now THAT would be cool. If and when they do come up with that solution, I hope it's not limited to Samsung devices .
Appreciate 1