Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Dashcam vs Drive Recorder

11-19-2023, 04:29 AM   #1
Lfk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series G20

Dashcam vs Drive Recorder

Australian drivers are increasingly aggressive and I've had more road rage incidents over the past year than I had had in a decade, including a near miss today where a speeding car overtook me in a zip-merge and proceeded to flip me off.

BMW Drive Recorder doesn't look too interesting from what I read since there's no impact most of the time (thankfully) and it covers 20 seconds only.

I'm not familiar with dashcam options at all. It looks like some are connected to the internal USB port, some to the car's battery and some to an external battery? Is there a go-to option? And do I need professional installation or is it easy to DYI? I'd appreciate any guidance.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 09:39 PM   #2
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Check out Steve's post here
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1711738

There are pros and cons of them all, and it really just comes down to how much you want to pay for what capability. But have a read of the thread and see what you think.

Pretty sure there is a black Friday sale on ConnectedDrive right now if you want to try the drive recorder for a month. I think it's free for a month or 20% for the year.

Last edited by AustraliaG20; 11-22-2023 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 04:34 AM   #3
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfk View Post
Australian drivers are increasingly aggressive and I've had more road rage incidents over the past year than I had had in a decade, including a near miss today where a speeding car overtook me in a zip-merge and proceeded to flip me off.

BMW Drive Recorder doesn't look too interesting from what I read since there's no impact most of the time (thankfully) and it covers 20 seconds only.

I'm not familiar with dashcam options at all. It looks like some are connected to the internal USB port, some to the car's battery and some to an external battery? Is there a go-to option? And do I need professional installation or is it easy to DYI? I'd appreciate any guidance.
The standard of driving is often quite poor. I used to think that if all Commodores and Falcons were required to be crushed at 10 years old it would have largely solved the problem; but the contagion has spread and utes now take the mantle, but pretty much any vehicle is fair game for the hoons or idiots.

I installed a Garmin Mini 2 in my daughter's car as a small measure of protection from her, as a young driver, being accused of anything if she had an incident or accident - she's no longer on Ps and is diligent and careful behind the wheel. It was easy to install in her Hyundai i30 using the power cable supplied, which I tucked under the edge of the headlining and trim down the left side windscreen pillar, and then down under the door rubber and along under the dash so it comes out at the centre console, where it is plugged into a power socket. It only comes to life when the ignition is on and it's a simple little device, but it seems to work fine and the resolution is good. There are many more sophisticated options depending on whether you want protection when you're parked, GPS data, rear cameras, etc but at around $200 that seemed like cheap insurance to me.

I have subscribed to the Drive Recorder on my 330i - it's not the best, but it would probably help in the event of an accident. It will record for 40 sec (20 sec before and after) if you hit the button. If I were buying the car now rather than in 2019, given the state of play on the roads I might consider having cameras professionally installed ...
Appreciate 0