Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Pain... is an excellent teacher.

01-25-2024, 12:03 AM   #67
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
You changed the parameters adding "a few days/weeks". Also, we were talking money managers, not retail traders. And as I stated, it rarely happens in days. It also rarely happens in weeks.

I say this with over 30 years of professional experience as a broker.
Surely u changed the goal post from personal/retail portfolio management to professional money managers and broker to fit your narrative, but that is OK.

But since you brought up pro money managers and brokers, there are many in my circle of contacts losing lots of money when their portfolios are managed by pros, and they universally now entrust themselves to manage their own money with much, much better returns than the pros.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 03:42 AM   #68
Panscan340
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

You should learn to keep your emotions in check better. You sold this car you supposedly love bc of a non ideal experience with a dealer/salesman for another car. Very strange thought process
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2024, 04:52 AM   #69
DenHaag3er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Honestly sounds like boderline personality disorder. Massive impulses and thin skinned emtional repsonses. Something that might be worth having checked out.
Appreciate 3
      01-25-2024, 07:50 AM   #70
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenHaag3er View Post
Honestly sounds like boderline personality disorder. Massive impulses and thin skinned emtional repsonses. Something that might be worth having checked out.
Wow! That’s quite an over-the-top jump there based on one factor from one isolated event. It’s true that having exaggerated emotional responses is one symptom and that is something it wouldn’t hurt to be aware of. Of course, I don’t know the OP in real life and don’t know anything about his personality on a day to day basis, but based just on his posts I’ve seen on this forum the thought that he has BPD has never crossed my mind. I have definitely wondered about the mental health of other forum members over the years.

My sister has BPD, so I am intimately aware of what it is like to deal with a person who has it. If you’ve ever seen that bumper sticker that says, “Zero to bitch in 0.000001 seconds”, my sister is who inspired that. And when she makes that switch she is vulgar and vile. Her interpersonal relationships are always right on the edge and with the exception of two friends who stick with her everyone she becomes friends with will eventually become her enemy in her view. She has a “savior complex” and I can’t even begin to describe the poor relationship choices she makes. It’s all very sad and what adds to it is she can’t see any of it. She has been diagnosed with BPD by a mental health professional, but she rejects the diagnosis and, therefore, has been unwilling to pursue any treatment. I could go on but I’ll stop. Since you mentioned BPD I’ll assume you are aware it is the most difficult mental illness to treat and because those who have it are so difficult and unpleasant to deal with the vast majority of mental health professionals do not like treating it.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-25-2024, 08:08 AM   #71
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panscan340 View Post
You should learn to keep your emotions in check better. You sold this car you supposedly love bc of a non ideal experience with a dealer/salesman for another car. Very strange thought process
Quote:
No. Not even close. It’s called “Generalized Anxiety Disorder”, and being trapped at a dealership for hours or getting your hopes up for buying your dream car (anxiety + excitement) can cause a panic attack. And when you get excited for something with no release, it creates “blue balls” in a sense, which I’m sure as many men here will testify to, is a really sucky feeling, one that you don’t want to repeat and one you just want to get rid of.

Hopefully that gives you a bit more insight into why I made the decision I did. I’m an extremely level-headed dude, but anxiety is a very emotional process that can make people do weird things (and yes, it is being treated… for the last 10+ years)

I cannot stand people that sit on the other side of a screen and pretend to know what someone is going through. Call me an idiot, a moron, etc all day, and I’m completely fine with it. Try and diagnose me or anyone else without knowing the first thing about their struggles, and you cross the line. Please be more mindful of this next time.

(And for the record, I had wanted an IS 500 for a very long time. This gave me an excuse to get one. This may sound like it was completely impulsive, but it wasn’t.)

Last edited by madpistol; 01-25-2024 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 5
zazzau757.50
toddwalton1310.50
ham34085.50
NGT25619.00
      01-25-2024, 08:33 AM   #72
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

OP is now back home - and back to his “senses.” Perhaps folks could stop diagnosing OP? After all OP has gotten enough beating on here (including from me) and has been humble about the whole experience. Last I checked, this is a forum for BMW enthusiasts; rather than a forum for mental health.
Appreciate 8
toddwalton1310.50
madpistol1746.00
koopa81.50
Dan B291.50
EXE462100.00
NGT25619.00
      01-25-2024, 08:48 AM   #73
dan1495
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 40i 2023 M440i CV

I have to admit I found your story to be a bit bizarre until I thought back on something similar I did around 15 years ago. I traded in a 2003 Mercedes SL55 that I loved on a 2008 BMW 550. The transaction got a little sideways and I began to have second thoughts. I went ahead and closed the deal on a Saturday evening and by Sunday realized I had made a mistake. I went back to the dealer first thing Monday morning and tried to undo the deal, offering them something like $2,500 for their trouble. They refused and I disliked that car so much that I traded it in on a Lexus LS 460 six months later and lost a lot more than the $2,500 I offered the BMW dealer. Life goes on.
Appreciate 1
madpistol1746.00
      01-25-2024, 09:46 AM   #74
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Surely u changed the goal post from personal/retail portfolio management to professional money managers and broker to fit your narrative, but that is OK.
No, I did not. This is what you replied to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisanoblueZ4 View Post
Hopefully OP doesn’t manage peoples retirement funds
^^^ This would be a professional money manager. If not they are an unlicensed pool operator and should go to jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
But since you brought up pro money managers and brokers, there are many in my circle of contacts losing lots of money when their portfolios are managed by pros, and they universally now entrust themselves to manage their own money with much, much better returns than the pros.
There are plenty of professional money managers that are terrible. Just because you get licensed and charge for your services does not mean you are good at it. You see it in many professions.

There are also plenty of retail traders that are fantastic traders. I hope your friends do well for themselves.

And free pro tip...... buy low, sell high.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 09:58 AM   #75
M340i Pride
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post
If you want to have a laugh (and possibly get a little angry at me), go read this thread I wrote a few days ago: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2076127

Do you know what's funny about BMW? They create cars that are, on paper, usually inferior to other cars, and yet somehow, they end up on top... a lot. You don't know how good BMW is until you've sold it and driven something else that you think is at least as good, only to realize that it isn't.

It makes no sense how a car with 382 HP can feel faster than a car with 472, not to mention get better gas mileage while doing it. It makes no sense how a car with stiffer suspension, run flat tires, and seats that are less comfortable can actually feel MORE comfortable on the highway. It makes no sense how a 4200 lb car can handle better than a 3900 lb car... did I mention the 4200 lb car gets better gas mileage?

But most importantly... it makes ZERO SENSE that a flawed dude like myself would swallow his pride, sacrifice THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS, and spend hours upon hours at a Lexus dealership TWICE, only to end up with exactly the same car he had before while sacrificing a rather rare Lexus that may be worth a decent chunk of change some day.

Yep. It happened. I'm back, BMW fam.

My apologies to anyone that I doubted you, or if I said anything mean. Please forgive me. I have learned my lesson.

I love my M440i GC. I'm not ready to part with her yet.
One of the best posts I've seen here. Thank you for the honest, big hearted post. It takes a certain person to admit that they were not on the right. Welcome back!! I came back from Accord / Vette hehe... I will not hesistate one second from telling everyone that my M340i is the best car I've ever owned.
Appreciate 3
Dan B291.50
RoGo330i142.50
madpistol1746.00
      01-25-2024, 11:07 AM   #76
arentz07
drives cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 IS 500, '23 X3

Garage List
Quote:
No. Not even close. It’s called “Generalized Anxiety Disorder”, and being trapped at a dealership for hours or getting your hopes up for buying your dream car (anxiety + excitement) can cause a panic attack. And when you get excited for something with no release, it creates “blue balls” in a sense, which I’m sure as many men here will testify to, is a really sucky feeling, one that you don’t want to repeat and one you just want to get rid of.

Hopefully that gives you a bit more insight into why I made the decision I did. I’m an extremely level-headed dude, but anxiety is a very emotional process that can make people do weird things (and yes, it is being treated… for the last 10+ years)

I cannot stand people that sit on the other side of a screen and pretend to know what someone is going through. Call me an idiot, a moron, etc all day, and I’m completely fine with it. Try and diagnose me or anyone else without knowing the first thing about their struggles, and you cross the line. Please be more mindful of this next time.

(And for the record, I had wanted an IS 500 for a very long time. This gave me an excuse to get one. This may sound like it was completely impulsive, but it wasn’t.)
As someone who has both had anxiety attacks before AND also is an IS 500 owner... I totally understand! Car purchases are such a big deal and can put a lot of pressure on us. If I am being honest with you, I know my IS 500 purchase probably wasn't done the best way. I didn't go and test-drive an M340i/M440i or Audi S4/S5 or any other options in the price range - I just saw that it had the V-8. Also, I am a repeat Lexus customer, so it just was an easy decision. And the FOMO for an NA V-8-powered sedan was strong, too!

I've posted a couple times here about my car, but that's it. There was an IS 500 thread I posted on a few months ago, since I just so happen to be a former G20 owner who now has an IS 500. Aside from that, I don't really talk about the Lexus much on the BMW forums because, most likely, it isn't relevant. I fully expect to be challenged if I post here. People who like BMWs probably won't like Lexus. I say this as someone who owns one of each right now. The wife's car is an X3, mine is an IS 500. They are very, very different cars - even our 330i was very different from the IS.

Look, whatever you end up driving, just know that the only reason you need to justify your purchase is because you WANTED TO. Life is too short to worry about all the stats and what everyone else likes. It's your money you're spending on the car, so it should be entirely up to you what you do.

2023 BMW X3 | Phytonic Blue | Black Vernasca Leather | Dark Wood Trim
2023 Lexus IS 500 F Sport Performance | Infrared | Black NuLuxe
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      01-25-2024, 11:43 AM   #77
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
And free pro tip...... buy low, sell high.
And don't forget to repeat.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 01:33 PM   #78
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40I

Ok….ridiculous that the OP is now (again) playing the victim card.

Remember he said this amongst other things:

“Most people take the salesman's side, which again doesn't surprise me. It just confirms exactly what I thought; most BMW owners are jerks that love patting themselves on the back.”

So who is the one crossing the line? OP fired shots, gets pushback and says people are crossing the line.

This thread continues to impress with its entertainment value.

Also keep in mind he purposely is running an active “experiment” (admited it) on the forum to see who sides with him.

-“Honestly, this was a bit of an experiment to see what percentage of owners here are genuinely decent people, and which ones are your stereotypical BMW jerks.”-
Appreciate 2
Davg31107.00
K20C415.00
      01-25-2024, 01:40 PM   #79
madpistol
Major
Rep

Quote:

“Most people take the salesman's side, which again doesn't surprise me. It just confirms exactly what I thought; most BMW owners are jerks that love patting themselves on the back.”

So who is the one crossing the line? OP fired shots, gets pushback and says people are crossing the line.

Also keep in mind he purposely is running an active “experiment” (admited it) on the forum to see who sides with him.

-“Honestly, this was a bit of an experiment to see what percentage of owners here are genuinely decent people, and which ones are your stereotypical BMW jerks.”-
Where am I playing the victim card? I apologized and told everyone that I offended that I’m sorry. I also explained at length why I made the decision that I did, and why I regret it. The crossing the line bit was about somebody attacking someone’s mental health, not about the cars or my decisions. Anything else I can do to appease you?
Appreciate 1
awh59.00
      01-25-2024, 01:43 PM   #80
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:

This is the single MOST STUPID post I have seen on either Bimmerpost or Bimmerfest in the last eighteen years.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-25-2024, 01:47 PM   #81
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
This is the single MOST STUPID post I have seen on either Bimmerpost or Bimmerfest in the last eighteen years.
Explain why?

Btw after bashing BMW owners, he has not given the rest of the story on the Lexus forum which OP said showed total class and respect.

Call out the BS and that makes me the bad guy? Ok
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 01:51 PM   #82
madpistol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Explain why?

Btw after bashing BMW owners, he has not given the rest of the story on the Lexus forum which OP said showed total class and respect.

Call out the BS and that makes me the bad guy? Ok
I’m sorry. I didn’t realize it going to the Lexus forum was a requirement in this process, nor did I realize you were in charge of making decisions for me. Thank you for enlightening me. What do you think I should do next?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 03:57 PM   #83
DenHaag3er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

What was said on the Lexus forum?

The whole thing was a shit post from start to finish so don’t expect high quality responses.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 04:21 PM   #84
madpistol
Major
Rep

Quote:
What was said on the Lexus forum?

The whole thing was a shit post from start to finish so don’t expect high quality responses.
I thought my response to your absolutely senseless diagnoses was very high quality. At this point, you’re alone.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 04:50 PM   #85
arentz07
drives cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 IS 500, '23 X3

Garage List
Talking

I just saw above where you wrote that you had wanted an IS 500 for a long time. It is a bit of a shame you didn't give it a little more time. I had a little buyer's remorse with mine early-on in my ownership of it, but it is long gone now. I have accepted what the car is and what it isn't, and I love what it is! What it isn't - well, maybe I'll need to get a different car for those needs one day. I mean, you owned one for a week - you know that V-8 is addictive to use and listen to and how great of a daily the car is. Sure, it's not the BEST daily driver that exists, but boy howdy is it a unique car compared to every other compact luxury sedan on sale right now. I'd rather have the cool factor than an ideal experience - but it is a Lexus, so I don't expect many issues. So far, so good.

The fact that you loved the M440i so much so as to TRADE A BRAND-NEW IS 500 for one does make me wonder if I have been sleeping on it this whole time. I don't think the Gran Coupe thing is for me, but maybe the sedan, the M340i, is.

2023 BMW X3 | Phytonic Blue | Black Vernasca Leather | Dark Wood Trim
2023 Lexus IS 500 F Sport Performance | Infrared | Black NuLuxe

Last edited by arentz07; 01-25-2024 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 1
madpistol1746.00
      01-25-2024, 05:53 PM   #86
MisanoblueZ4
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’m sorry. I didn’t realize it going to the Lexus forum was a requirement in this process, nor did I realize you were in charge of making decisions for me. Thank you for enlightening me. What do you think I should do next?
Again you made a comparison about how much more respectful and positive the Lexus forum was to you, how it was much different then the BMW owners.

The point is, have you gone back and updated your post explaining the (buyers remorse) you had and are now back in a BMW only days later?

You admitted to playing these forum members here with an “experiment” to judge reactions.
Appreciate 1
Davg31107.00
      01-25-2024, 06:19 PM   #87
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
One perspective is that u experience a breakup, and then reconciliation, it is expected that the process would not be smooth.

Just imagine u have a divorce and then ask to remarry in a week, it is highly doubtful(yet possible) your ex-spouse will go with that.

Just be thankful that it is just a car and a bunch of nobodies making inconsequential comments(supportive or otherwise) on an internet forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 06:28 PM   #88
madpistol
Major
Rep

Quote:
Again you made a comparison about how much more respectful and positive the Lexus forum was to you, how it was much different then the BMW owners.

The point is, have you gone back and updated your post explaining the (buyers remorse) you had and are now back in a BMW only days later?

You admitted to playing these forum members here with an “experiment” to judge reactions.
To be fair, the Lexus owners were very respectful, and at this point, you’re kind of proving my point about (some) BMW owners being assholes. Beyond that, I haven’t updated anything, nor do I have any plans to. If that’s not good enough for you, then feel free to stop reading this thread and move on with life.
Appreciate 0