Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Bimmertech Alpha One Amp install on 2021 M440i G22 Anyone?

11-22-2023, 07:37 PM   #1
den110
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 Mineral White M440i

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Bimmertech Alpha One Amp install on 2021 M440i G22 Anyone?

Hi,

Seems like I don't see anyone with a G22 (2021-present) Bimmertech Alpha One Amp install. I have the HiFi audio and was thinking of getting this amp to mate with the OEM speakers.

Does anyone have just the amp installed on a G22? Can't find any install videos and Bimmertech site indicated that they don't currently have a bracket to attach for this chassis. They said I can just zip tie it to keep in place. Seems kinda crappy way to keep in place since they have custom mounting brackets for most other BMWs.

Any thoughts on performance of this amp or install tips? Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 08:15 AM   #2
JJKiii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M340i

Garage List
2024 BMW M340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by den110 View Post
Hi,

Seems like I don't see anyone with a G22 (2021-present) Bimmertech Alpha One Amp install. I have the HiFi audio and was thinking of getting this amp to mate with the OEM speakers.

Does anyone have just the amp installed on a G22? Can't find any install videos and Bimmertech site indicated that they don't currently have a bracket to attach for this chassis. They said I can just zip tie it to keep in place. Seems kinda crappy way to keep in place since they have custom mounting brackets for most other BMWs.

Any thoughts on performance of this amp or install tips? Thanks and have a great Thanksgiving!
I have an amp and subs in transit to me which I bought during their Black Friday sale. This is for an M340i so can't help with the G22 but I did exchange a number of emails with them and they were helpful. Use info@bimmer-tech.net.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 08:27 AM   #3
den110
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJKiii View Post
I have an amp and subs in transit to me which I bought during their Black Friday sale. This is for an M340i so can't help with the G22 but I did exchange a number of emails with them and they were helpful. Use info@bimmer-tech.net.
Thanks JJKiii. Be interested in your install and thoughts on the performance of the amp/subs once you have them in.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2023, 10:13 AM   #4
perryinva
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4S30i 2019 X3x30i

You can get the exact same amp/dsp (Audiotec Fischer Match Up 8DSP) from Allwoods audio on ebay, shipped from the UK with the correct harness and power leads for about $1000 ( make a small discount offer, they will take it) and they will load a profile but it will need tweaking via the free DSP software from AF with a PC Win10 or better laptop. The difference is amazing even with the stock speakers. You do have to code off ASD if your car has it. Only comes with the stock brackets, so location still had to be vetted.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 08:28 AM   #5
JJKiii
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by den110 View Post
Thanks JJKiii. Be interested in your install and thoughts on the performance of the amp/subs once you have them in.
I've had the Bimmertech Alpha One amp (Match UP10 DSP) and their subs installed for a week now. Bottom line: it's a huge improvement. Been going through my music collection and giving the subs a bit of time to break in, but it's definitely a lot better than the stock HK.

In particular they utilize the "Dynamic Bass Enhancement" feature of this amp which is basically a loudness control which boosts lower frequencies at lower volumes to compensate for human hearing. In my opinion this is a big weak link of the stock HK system.

I'm coming from an 2012 E92 which had the HK system and which I thought was excellent.

Bimmertech installs a tune file based on options you select when you order the amp. If you want it tweaked after install, they will do that for you (no additional charge). The tune they provide prioritizes the front soundstage (esp driver's seat) and the rears and surround speaker gains appear to be lowered. I'm still not sure about this and might ask for an updated tune.

I had them code out the ASD which they claim is done in a unique way and shouldn't be affected by a future software update.

Installation wasn't too bad, the only hard part for me was getting enough cable slack to relocate the RAM module.

This isn't a cheap option but I think it's worth it if you want a higher quality sound system. I ordered on the Monday before Thanksgiving and had everything on Friday. And it shipped from Dubai! The packaging reminded me of an iPhone, super high quality and attention to detail.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2023, 04:47 PM   #6
den110
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Quote:
I've had the Bimmertech Alpha One amp (Match UP10 DSP) and their subs installed for a week now. Bottom line: it's a huge improvement. Been going through my music collection and giving the subs a bit of time to break in, but it's definitely a lot better than the stock HK.

In particular they utilize the "Dynamic Bass Enhancement" feature of this amp which is basically a loudness control which boosts lower frequencies at lower volumes to compensate for human hearing. In my opinion this is a big weak link of the stock HK system.

I'm coming from an 2012 E92 which had the HK system and which I thought was excellent.

Bimmertech installs a tune file based on options you select when you order the amp. If you want it tweaked after install, they will do that for you (no additional charge). The tune they provide prioritizes the front soundstage (esp driver's seat) and the rears and surround speaker gains appear to be lowered. I'm still not sure about this and might ask for an updated tune.

I had them code out the ASD which they claim is done in a unique way and shouldn't be affected by a future software update.

Installation wasn't too bad, the only hard part for me was getting enough cable slack to relocate the RAM module.

This isn't a cheap option but I think it's worth it if you want a higher quality sound system. I ordered on the Monday before Thanksgiving and had everything on Friday. And it shipped from Dubai! The packaging reminded me of an iPhone, super high quality and attention to detail.
I ordered just the Alpha One amp on black friday and hope to have it installed this weekend. They did send a bunch of brackets to try and mate with my chassis, but hoping my G22 chassis where the RAM module sits is similar to the G20. I have the Hifi system and will try to just do the amp first. I have been cooresponding with their install dept. and they are willing to help design a bracket in the event none of the ones they sent me fits.

Last edited by den110; 12-02-2023 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: add detail
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 09:40 AM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I installed the amp & their underseat subs in our 22 M440 G23. Simply used wire ties for the amp to the black foam molded insulation just as in their video & it worx just fine.

Sounds 200% better than the std HiFi my car had to have do to chip shortage even with the OEM Hifi Speakers.

I replaced the underseats since we like more Bass - would the full speaker install sound better than with OEM speakers? Prolly, but I'm not interested in tearing all the panels off right now...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
den11031.50
      12-03-2023, 05:12 PM   #8
den110
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
I just installed the amp. Very easy and was able to use the G20 RAM bracket. Attached the amp to the OEM RAM bracket.

Just have to get rid of the loud gongs when car shuts off. Turn signals are louder as well but not as bad as the gongs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 02:40 PM   #9
mdiaddez
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i xDrive

Hey all, just installed mine as well. I removed ASD myself via Bimmercode. Now I will be playing with the DSP tool tonight to tweak a bit. I called Bimmer-Tech this AM to get some tuning help…alternate tune files, how to adjust front stage.

Overall it seems like all vocals are coming from center speaker vs virtual stage from left and right. It’s playing more like a surround system would (my old Acura TL had this option)

Sound is definitely improved…just need to keep tuning. Anything recommendations from those of you who are steps ahead? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 07:20 AM   #10
JJKiii
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiaddez View Post
Hey all, just installed mine as well. I removed ASD myself via Bimmercode. Now I will be playing with the DSP tool tonight to tweak a bit. I called Bimmer-Tech this AM to get some tuning help…alternate tune files, how to adjust front stage.

Overall it seems like all vocals are coming from center speaker vs virtual stage from left and right. It’s playing more like a surround system would (my old Acura TL had this option)

Sound is definitely improved…just need to keep tuning. Anything recommendations from those of you who are steps ahead? Thanks
I'd be interested to hear your experience with the Audiotech Fischer DSP tool and how easy this is to use. Assuming you've purchased a calibration mic?

The default tune I got from Bimmertech appears to have zeroed out the center channel speaker and lowered the gains on the rears and surrounds. Might try a re-tune upping the surrounds a bit. Overall the sound quality is still a huge improvement.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 08:34 PM   #11
den110
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd be interested to hear your experience with the Audiotech Fischer DSP tool and how easy this is to use. Assuming you've purchased a calibration mic?

The default tune I got from Bimmertech appears to have zeroed out the center channel speaker and lowered the gains on the rears and surrounds. Might try a re-tune upping the surrounds a bit. Overall the sound quality is still a huge improvement.
Agree, sound quality is much improved from the stock RAM unit. I just have to try and lower the gain on the frequency that puts out the "gong" when I start and turn off the car. It is VERY LOUD. Scared the crap out of my wife when she first heard it.

I emailed BimmerTech and hopefully they can send a different sound file or instruct me on how to do it via the AF DSP Tool (just downloaded it, not really sure how to use it)

Last edited by den110; 12-05-2023 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: add detail
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 09:56 AM   #12
perryinva
Private First Class
Rep

You can lower the alert levels in iDrive, but the seatbelt gong had to be turned off using Bimmercode. No level adjust could be found. I really don’t need the car to audibly tell me to put my seatbelt on anyway, the dash light is plenty.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 10:52 AM   #13
Unbuckled2579
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

A few questions to those of you fortunate enough to have this installed already. I have a 2023 M340i with HK.

- Anyone have JUST the amp installed without the subs? I'd like to avoid the hassle of installing the subs even if they are the easier speakers to change, presuming just the amp upgrade is good enough to make everything pop.

- I thought we could already disable ASD just in the regular settings? Does it not turn it off enough or something or not fully? I do have bimmercode, wondering cause it's an extra 90$ or something to have bimmertech disable ASD and it seems like the reason to disable it is because with the new amp it's gonna clash soundwise or something.

- I saw in a youtube video that the original HK Amp can be kept connected as a "Booster"? Which from what I can see can serve to power additional speakers if you want. Not sure if it's necessary to keep it though.

- Is it true that you have to disable Logic 7 surround because it's gonna fuck with the tune in the amp? And also you have to keep your bass/treble and general EQ settings at 0 or lower rather than going above 0?

A huge thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify these things
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 12:43 PM   #14
den110
Private
Rep

Garage List
2021 M440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryinva View Post
You can lower the alert levels in iDrive, but the seatbelt gong had to be turned off using Bimmercode. No level adjust could be found. I really don’t need the car to audibly tell me to put my seatbelt on anyway, the dash light is plenty.
It is not the seatbelt gong. It's a really loud sound really noticeable when you shut the car off and when you initially turn the car on, right before the seat belt warning chime. recorded the sound and sent to bimmertech for them to troubleshoot. It almost reminds me of an 80s video game when your character dies.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 07:17 AM   #15
JJKiii
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbuckled2579 View Post
A few questions to those of you fortunate enough to have this installed already. I have a 2023 M340i with HK.

- Anyone have JUST the amp installed without the subs? I'd like to avoid the hassle of installing the subs even if they are the easier speakers to change, presuming just the amp upgrade is good enough to make everything pop.

- I thought we could already disable ASD just in the regular settings? Does it not turn it off enough or something or not fully? I do have bimmercode, wondering cause it's an extra 90$ or something to have bimmertech disable ASD and it seems like the reason to disable it is because with the new amp it's gonna clash soundwise or something.

- I saw in a youtube video that the original HK Amp can be kept connected as a "Booster"? Which from what I can see can serve to power additional speakers if you want. Not sure if it's necessary to keep it though.

- Is it true that you have to disable Logic 7 surround because it's gonna fuck with the tune in the amp? And also you have to keep your bass/treble and general EQ settings at 0 or lower rather than going above 0?

A huge thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify these things
- I installed the amp first and tried it out before installing the subs. Seemed to work pretty well. You will need to advise Bimmertech that's what you're doing so they can adjust the gains of the subs properly. The stock subs are 8 Ohms and the Bimmertech ones are 4 Ohms.

- Not sure if Bimmercode disabling ASD is the same as Bimmertech doing it or not. If it is, you'll need to do it again after a BMW software update. Bimmertech claims their method is not the same as user coding and shouldn't need a re-do.

- Adding the Alpha One amp keeps both the RAM and booster. The harness they supply (Technic PnP?) connects to both of these and the new amp. They give you a bracket to relocate the RAM. However, I don't think the RAM and booster provide any power to speakers with the new amp.

- Logic 7 isn't really disabled but it sounds weird if you check it. Bimmertech provides a custom tune for the Match UP 10 DSP which utilizes their own DSP rather than the HK Logic 7 version. You can have them tweak it if you're not satisfied. As far as EQ settings, if you need them it's better to use subtraction rather than addition. Note I got all this from their sound engineer in Poland.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 01:29 PM   #16
perryinva
Private First Class
Rep

Bimmercode disable of ASD is exactly the same as what Bimmertech does. Remember you don’t RECODE to actually “Deactive” ASD in Bimmercode. It is left Activated and you scroll to the bottom and disable it down there as a selection. No recode is required.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 08:55 AM   #17
Unbuckled2579
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
- I installed the amp first and tried it out before installing the subs. Seemed to work pretty well. You will need to advise Bimmertech that's what you're doing so they can adjust the gains of the subs properly. The stock subs are 8 Ohms and the Bimmertech ones are 4 Ohms.

- Not sure if Bimmercode disabling ASD is the same as Bimmertech doing it or not. If it is, you'll need to do it again after a BMW software update. Bimmertech claims their method is not the same as user coding and shouldn't need a re-do.

- Adding the Alpha One amp keeps both the RAM and booster. The harness they supply (Technic PnP?) connects to both of these and the new amp. They give you a bracket to relocate the RAM. However, I don't think the RAM and booster provide any power to speakers with the new amp.

- Logic 7 isn't really disabled but it sounds weird if you check it. Bimmertech provides a custom tune for the Match UP 10 DSP which utilizes their own DSP rather than the HK Logic 7 version. You can have them tweak it if you're not satisfied. As far as EQ settings, if you need them it's better to use subtraction rather than addition. Note I got all this from their sound engineer in Poland.
Huge thanks for taking the time to answer everything

Now I'm curious if this setup would allow finally to have a trunk subwoofer

I think I'll go for the amp only but when putting on my winter mats in the car I noticed how easily accessible the subwoofers seems to be .. so I could be tempted to swap them out
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 09:08 AM   #18
Unbuckled2579
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryinva View Post
Bimmercode disable of ASD is exactly the same as what Bimmertech does. Remember you don’t RECODE to actually “Deactive” ASD in Bimmercode. It is left Activated and you scroll to the bottom and disable it down there as a selection. No recode is required.
Think I'm not familiar enough with the terminology to understand the nuance you're talking about here.

In my 2023 M340i I have a stock menu option that (seems?) to allow me to disable ASD. I presume that it doesn't fully disable it or something?

When you say you don't "recode" in Bimmercode, what do you do? Just change a setting? Isn't everything "recoding" in Bimmercode?
Appreciate 0