Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Map region question

11-13-2022, 08:19 PM   #1
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Map region question

The maps in my G20 cover NC, SC, VA, WV, DC.

I will be traveling to Atlanta GA soon, is there a way I can add coverage for that area as well?

Assuming it requires loading a different region, does that not become awkward driving between GA and SC for example?

When I look at the MyBMW web portal under settings, it indicates I have automatic updates for Region 3 (south) which includes GA. So I'm confused about whether the nav system will work in the Atlanta area or not.

Last edited by TheRetroGuy; 11-13-2022 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
Sandpiper121.50
      11-15-2022, 07:16 AM   #2
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterBanks View Post
TheRetroGuy, I'm using the same region you are. I do recall seeing in the Navigation settings (iDrive 7) where you could change your region. To be honest, like you I've yet to travel out of the region so I'm curious if you have to manually change it or if it will continue to work. In other cars I've owned, navigation has continued to work when I went out of the region... My assumption is to the reason why there are regions is so that the system isn't searching a whole bunch of the same address IE like "Main Street" for the entire USA, rather just your immediate area or "Region" but again it's an assumption. Looking forward to hearing what happens when you travel.
I believe your assumption regarding the reason for regions is sound and almost certainly at least part of the reason. I also read somewhere in BMW's documentation that storage space was one reason (and I can see how having too much unecessary data could potentially affect overall performance of the user interface, etc).

I mentioned in another post many months back that once on a trip to the DC area, the nav system seemed to work fine in Maryland even though it wasn't in the list of states displayed on the display. However on another trip to same area when (I believe) I was in DC city boundaries proper, the navigation system reported not knowing where I was.. somewhere around the Smithsonian zoo area. This, despite DC being in the list of the supposedly supported.

Right now the plan is to invest a reasonable amount of time trying to get this question answered before the trip, but also have multiple backup mechanisms. Probably Waze on Carplay since I always have that running anyway. I also have a decent Garmin unit with a beanbag mount that I keep handy as an extra backup which has lifetime north america updates. I might also experiment with Apple maps and Google map apps to see if I have a preference, but I would prefer to use BMW nav as much as possible, as I like seeing details on the HUD.

Trip isn't until January so I have some time to work it out. If for some reason I forget to report back on my experience, someone please ping me here, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 09:11 AM   #3
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340I

I wouldn't think you would be able to tell that you are 'in region' or not. I drove out to Colorado a year ago and used the BMW routing almost exclusively. It knew about construction zones, found every place I needed in Vail/Beaver Creek. It probably showed me points of interest, like restaurants, that were no longer open. Since I wasn't going to them I didn't notice. One of the better features of the BMW app is the ability to navigate based on Contacts (maybe IOS only?). Setup a restaurant or any destination as a Contact before your trip and then search for it within the app, send the directions to your car. BMW under-documented this feature and it is one I use all the time.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 10:30 AM   #4
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

I'm in Europe but I think you can test the available map data while at home. Set a destination where you want to go. To check map detail, make a search around the destination.
Alternatively you can use the Demo mode and enter both start point and destination in the area of interest.

In Europe the "Home region"= a few countries, defines what area is updated over air, but the car was delivered with map data for many more countries.
(We can subscribe to USB updates of the whole area, but IIUC it's not available in NA.)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 08:00 PM   #5
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap340i View Post
I wouldn't think you would be able to tell that you are 'in region' or not. I drove out to Colorado a year ago and used the BMW routing almost exclusively. It knew about construction zones, found every place I needed in Vail/Beaver Creek. It probably showed me points of interest, like restaurants, that were no longer open. Since I wasn't going to them I didn't notice. One of the better features of the BMW app is the ability to navigate based on Contacts (maybe IOS only?). Setup a restaurant or any destination as a Contact before your trip and then search for it within the app, send the directions to your car. BMW under-documented this feature and it is one I use all the time.
So I guess based on your experience, maybe the region specific data consists only of points of interest, and maybe all of the roads/driving directions work regardless of a cars region? I seem to remember reading somewhere many years ago that some of Garmins units work that way (or did at the time). If that's the case it would explain why directions worked for me when I was in Maryland.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2022, 08:05 PM   #6
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterBanks View Post
FYI, when going over the car at delivery with my sales consultant, he said that you can't navigation to a destination simultaneous with two different sources. IE BMW and Apple Maps, provided your iPhone is connected VIA CarPlay. I've yet to try it but I think what he meant is that only one source at a time will show up on the screen, HUD and give verbal commands. I need to try it and see if I switch from one to the other what happens. I do know that when I'm using Apple Maps to navigate somewhere and then click the Map button next to the iDrive controller that Apple Maps display rather than the BMW.
Carplay in general seems a bit fragile, such that I usually just leave it on one thing or another. I always run the BMW Spotify app and have found the farther I keep Spotify away from Carplay the better. This evening on the way home, Waze "froze" on me as I tried to speak in an address. I got about 3 inbound calls and subsequent voicemails around the same time, not sure if that threw it into a tailspin or not. I also did update to iOS 16.1.1 just last night, which may have also had something to do with it. Anyway I'm in the process of retraining myself with the various navigation options, just in case things don't go well with the BMW maps in Atlanta.
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2022, 08:19 PM   #7
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G22b58 View Post
I'm in Europe but I think you can test the available map data while at home. Set a destination where you want to go. To check map detail, make a search around the destination.
Alternatively you can use the Demo mode and enter both start point and destination in the area of interest.

In Europe the "Home region"= a few countries, defines what area is updated over air, but the car was delivered with map data for many more countries.
(We can subscribe to USB updates of the whole area, but IIUC it's not available in NA.)
Some great ideas here I hadn't even though of, I will definitely give this a try!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2022, 05:52 AM   #8
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
TheRetroGuy,

Since I'm in VA, I set home region on BMW ConnectedDrive site same as you did. Car has received OTA updates for this home region, but car still has map information for rest of Continental US.

Several months ago, we took a trip to NJ & upstate NY, returning through PA. Car's map data was fine. I must say, however, when we got near New York city & DC, switched to Google Maps for most current traffic information

So, I think when we traveled into another region, map updated for that region

Hope that helps

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 2
      11-20-2022, 12:52 PM   #9
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
TheRetroGuy,

Since I'm in VA, I set home region on BMW ConnectedDrive site same as you did. Car has received OTA updates for this home region, but car still has map information for rest of Continental US.

Several months ago, we took a trip to NJ & upstate NY, returning through PA. Car's map data was fine. I must say, however, when we got near New York city & DC, switched to Google Maps for most current traffic information

So, I think when we traveled into another region, map updated for that region

Hope that helps
Yes, that is helpful, thanks. One other thing I've done since my original post is simply enter in the hotel address where I'll be staying into the nav system, and then use it to search for points of interest around that location that I'm already aware of. It does appear to have current (enough) information for that area.

I still don't quite have a grasp on what the limitations are for the main regions of the USA (such as region 3 - south, which is pretty much everything from VA to Texas) versus the OTA update region, versus what exactly would be lost or less current if I did travel out of region 3 etc., so if anyone knows a definitive link where I could read that info I would be most grateful.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 08:43 AM   #10
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post
Trip isn't until January so I have some time to work it out. If for some reason I forget to report back on my experience, someone please ping me here, thanks.
I almost forgot to report back.

It all went fine enough on the trip. In the part of ATL (north) I was in, there was a lot of construction happening with exits closed off so there was some level of frustration, but I'm not sure this had anything to do with the map data or if it would have been solved using Waze or Google maps instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 05:38 PM   #11
philbake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT/2017 X5 40e

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 e40  [0.00]
The NAV system will work everywhere in the US. The only thing you’ll be missing is any updates to regions you’re not subscribed to for the reasons another poster mentioned. (Essentially, it keeps the updates quick) If you log on to connecteddrive.bmwusa.com and log into your account, you have the option to change regions.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 01:29 PM   #12
RenoGary
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Region vrs US update

While planning a road trip out of “ my region” I’ve now clearly seen the “rest of US” map data is 4+ years old (2019-1) while my local region is latest 2023-x. It’s also clear bmw doesn't want to update all the US data for every update. One doesn’t need data where one doesn’t Go.
I have read that once the car is driven “out of region” *and* the update is subscribed the new update will auto load OTA. So I’ve read but not confirmed by anyone I can find. The Nav won’t stop navigating it will just continue with its out of date database. (Ignorance is bliss)
The dealer will no longer update out of region maps nor will they update car OS which has been “waiting for install” but like so many others just WONT do its install. Dealer explained the sw update has become so burdensome they can’t handle it and that bmw no longer reimbursing them for time on incremental updates.
Alternative is to do our own USB xfr & install.
Anyone see these “automatic ota into a new region”?
I will update after the trip.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2023, 06:38 PM   #13
RenoGary
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Regarding the map update, bmw customer service replied (thank you very much) that my map rev was up to date. Although the X5’s Nav display clearly shows Ca, Hi, NV and not “Western Region”, CustServ says that indeed the whole western region is updated. So, either customer service is off OR the coding map gurus SHOW a Ca, Hi, Nv update when they REALLY mean “whole western region”. Smells off to me.
The car did not update automatically once we were outside of Ca, Nv and never updated in the weeks in Colo & Utah. But of course if it was updated before it would not need an update.
BMW regions indicate the entire wester US as “the region” while my display shows Ca, Hi, NV. I’d like to see any of you in WA, ID, Co, WY etc western area display info. Is it Subregions (unlike what customer service replied)?
We are indeed getting our 4 updates OTA as indicated by the display 2023-04.
And- btw - customer service says if you wanna travel outside your region the car will NOT update until it get into that region. You’d have to do that manually with a usb if you want the next region updated. Mine is clearly 2019 for the non-resident region.
Appreciate 0