Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics idrive 8 screen rattling and replacement

11-22-2023, 10:19 PM   #1
Jasonsang
Rep
Drives: M440i

idrive 8 screen rattling and replacement

My 23 M440i has some rattle issues on bumpy roads. The dealership said it’s some component inside, so they need to replace a new screen. I’m not sure how does the screen replacement work. They installed the screen but has problem on coding. Now, I start to worry about their skills. Anyone has the similar experience for screen replacement? Please share. I want to learn details on the replacement process.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 10:47 PM   #2
Eljefe25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonsang View Post
My 23 M440i has some rattle issues on bumpy roads. The dealership said it’s some component inside, so they need to replace a new screen. I’m not sure how does the screen replacement work. They installed the screen but has problem on coding. Now, I start to worry about their skills. Anyone has the similar experience for screen replacement? Please share. I want to learn details on the replacement process.
I imagine it’s pretty rare that people have to replace their screens, so I doubt you would fine alot of experience to speak to it.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much if you’re under warranty. It’s their problem to fix.

Finding a good dealer is the hard part though. BMW dealers are on par with ford dealers I’ve dealt with it in the past. Terrible would be kind.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 10:02 AM   #3
Jasonsang
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljefe25 View Post
I imagine it’s pretty rare that people have to replace their screens, so I doubt you would fine alot of experience to speak to it.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much if you’re under warranty. It’s their problem to fix.

Finding a good dealer is the hard part though. BMW dealers are on par with ford dealers I’ve dealt with it in the past. Terrible would be kind.
100% agreed. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 08:20 PM   #4
Jasonsang
Rep

Some updates: The car has been in the dealership for 15 days. It’s just a simple screen replacement, but they fail to diagnose why it does no turn on. In addition, they scratch one of my panel during replacement. Toaday is their second attempt to install a new screen…. Whoever is fixing my vehicle definitely incompetent to do this job .
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2023, 06:40 PM   #5
Eljefe25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonsang View Post
Some updates: The car has been in the dealership for 15 days. It’s just a simple screen replacement, but they fail to diagnose why it does no turn on. In addition, they scratch one of my panel during replacement. Toaday is their second attempt to install a new screen…. Whoever is fixing my vehicle definitely incompetent to do this job .
I’m sorry to hear that. Which is why I said it’s hard to find a good dealer. I’m so surprised at BMW service departments. You would think a luxury brand would be better at service but in my experience they’re just as bad, if not worse considering it’s a luxury brand.

I’m not sure I would allow them a second time to attempt to fix it. I would probably take it to another dealer.

Best of luck. Hope everything turns out well.
Appreciate 0