Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions New 2020 330i xDrive - My thoughts

07-09-2020, 09:34 PM   #1
ShadowedAngles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix

New 2020 330i xDrive - My thoughts

I traded in my 2018 F80 ZCP today for a Sapphire Black 330ix. The main highlights for options are: Premium, M-Sport, Parking Assistant Package, Back leather with blue contrast stitching.

I leased the car blindly – never saw it except for a generic BMW picture and did not test drive it or any G20. I wanted to start this thread and update it occasionally. Perhaps others will find it helpful.

I know coming from an M would affect my expectations but I'm pretty good at realizing situations like that - I know they won't compare. I'm glad I got the M-Sport trim level, this probably helped a bit

However, I actually like the car on first initial impressions. Many of these are obvious and logical conclusions one would make even without driving but hey, you never know until you actually do it.

-Seats are way more comfortable than the sport seats in the M3.
-The car didn't really feel bigger inside, and while my initial driving it felt good.
-Even with 19 inch RFTs, and M Sport suspension set to Sport (I don't have the adaptive), the ride was much smoother (had 20 inch PSS on the M3). I figured this would be the case but I never driven on RFTs before. It was mostly my intent to get a smoother ride (for my kid) so success.
-Gas mileage is amazing (expected).
-Really like the LiveCockpit and huge Nav screen – very nice. I need to find out how to put the current gear on this. The new IDrive is very nice.
-Cameras are amazing.
-Learned it has Lane Correction (and not just warning). I thought this was in the Driver Assistant Pro but I guess not!!
-The 4 cycl is nice and I have no issues with it. Lots of power for the street and nice low end torque.
-The transmission is great.
-The CA showed me the automated parking (Where it'll parallel park for you or back into a spot) and was very impressed. It even self corrected. Also saw the auto-back out feature. That was really impressive too. May actually try to use these two.
-Trunk space is great. I was able to toss in my car seat back there no problem.

Really Major Dislike:
-Brakes. I'm so used to the M brakes that these 330ix brakes feel awful to me. Like so bad that I'm concerned I won't be able to stop in time if I need to really stop. I need to see if this has auto-braking for frontal collision. I feel like I have to really jam on the pedal to get the 330ix to stop – almost rear ended someone today.
....For the M3, if you so much as look at the brakes, they stop the car. I really wish I got the track package (this was unrealistic since I was buying off of lots and supply is so low and never saw one in stock). If I wasn't leasing, I'd replace them with M brakes. Maybe I'll do that anyways...

Minor Nits That Don't Really Matter:
-The foot well where the gas pedal is. It's literally placed right near the wall! I had this issue with my IS250/350 AWD. I'm glad I have smaller feet so this isn't a problem and I'm used to it.
-Leather isn't as good but it's fine (I honestly don't care). Had Merino SS previously.

Overall, really like it minus the brake issue mentioned above.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:58 PM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I agree with you. I love everything about the G20 EXCEPT the brakes. They can be unnerving sometimes.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:41 PM   #3
ShadowedAngles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I agree with you. I love everything about the G20 EXCEPT the brakes. They can be unnerving sometimes.
Yeah this is how I feel too. I was hoping once I wore them in, they'd work better but guess not.

I wonder if anyone with the track package can chime in to see if they have the same complaints.

I'm also wondering if I can get new pads instead...much cheaper ($300) than a new M sport set (~$2350 before install). Not sure if they'd fit on my setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:32 AM   #4
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowedAngles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Yeah this is how I feel too. I was hoping once I wore them in, they'd work better but guess not.

I wonder if anyone with the track package can chime in to see if they have the same complaints.

I'm also wondering if I can get new pads instead...much cheaper ($300) than a new M sport set (~$2350 before install). Not sure if they'd fit on my setup.
I have the 'track package' - called M technology pack in the UK. Bigger brakes on the front compared to standard M brakes (blue painted ones).

No complaints. I've had cars with normal non M performance brakes and they weren't great but found the normal M brakes to be a really good upgrade but these bigger calliper ones are very very good, even from stone cold. I actually have to be careful not to press too hard otherwise scrub off too much speed.

Are you guys talking about the standard/basic brakes or the blue ones? I've never found the blue ones to be a problem is what I'm trying to say!
      07-10-2020, 02:53 AM   #5
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I have the standard brakes. My G20 330i replaced a B9 A4. The A4 had phenomenal brakes even though it was the basic brake pack (no brake upgrades). Coming from that, the G20 has weak brakes in base form. It’s better than my F25 X3 but worse than my Audis.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
ShadowedAngles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I never considered upgrading brake on a car before (I actually don't work on cars at all). So these may be really dumb questions. Right now, I don't feel like spending $3k on a new brake system for a leased car. but I am trying to come up with cheaper backup plans just in case I can't get over this lol.

1. What about only converting the front brakes to the Ms? Would this be feasible (ie: not unsettle the car, still give an improved performance)?
2. I see people selling used brake systems (rotors, etc) on Ebay. Is buying these used brake systems acceptable or is it like being a used carseat (YOU DO NOT DO THIS)?
3. (Mentioned previously but for completeness) How do I tell if the M pads will fit on my current brakes?

Thanks for answering my noob questions :P
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:32 AM   #7
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I never considered upgrading brake on a car before (I actually don't work on cars at all). So these may be really dumb questions. Right now, I don't feel like spending $3k on a new brake system for a leased car. but I am trying to come up with cheaper backup plans just in case I can't get over this lol.

1. What about only converting the front brakes to the Ms? Would this be feasible (ie: not unsettle the car, still give an improved performance)?
2. I see people selling used brake systems (rotors, etc) on Ebay. Is buying these used brake systems acceptable or is it like being a used carseat (YOU DO NOT DO THIS)?
3. (Mentioned previously but for completeness) How do I tell if the M pads will fit on my current brakes?

Thanks for answering my noob questions :P
You're cheapest solution would be to upgrade to a performance brake pad. Either to a ceramic, or a semi-metallic. The downside is obviously more brake dust and more noise, but that is inherent in any performance pad (OEM or aftermarket).
      07-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #8
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i-X

The brembo's on my Honda Type-R were crazy good, but the noise and break dust was really bad. I sounded like a mid century chariot coming to a stop at a red light. The quiet breaks on the 330i are kind of a relief for me
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #9
ShadowedAngles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Both of your suggestions in trying the brakepads first make sense. If I don't like it still, I hopefully could still use them in the upgrade braking system. So it's cheap, low risk, and high reward.

I've dealt with brake dust before and I've learned to accept it haha. Plus the car is black so that'll help (and it gets dirty so fast...but looks sooo good clean!).

Oh - I forgot something important on my initial review. The steering on the 330ix is nice. In fact, the thought of the steering didn't come into mind until after I got home and realized I didn't think about it (good). Not sure how much of this is from the M-Sport trim vs the new framework.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #10
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

how are you coping with the power loss? i mean going from an f80 m3 to a g20 330i must be a massive difference.

i went from a stage 2 e90 335i to the g20 330i and the power is just so underwhelming
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #11
ShadowedAngles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenssmart View Post
how are you coping with the power loss? i mean going from an f80 m3 to a g20 330i must be a massive difference.

i went from a stage 2 e90 335i to the g20 330i and the power is just so underwhelming
I haven't missed it too much yet. The nature of my driving was that I had my kid (he's almost 3) in the car a lot sleeping (lol he doesn't like his bed for napping). So I was forced to drive in comfort like 75% of the time and like a grandpa. A lot of the roads I drive on are 35 or 45 mph and they're generally crowded enough where the opportunity to really go at it was low.

But yeah, giving it some gas, the power isn't there obv, but given my circumstances I wasn't able to use it much. I do miss the gs though!
Appreciate 1
falbi1.50
      07-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #12
ShadowedAngles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I spoke to a local BMW shop and they suggested I instead go with a cheaper option:
Only replace the front with akebono rotors and Jurid pads at $730 otd.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm going to do some research over the weekend on these.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 04:02 PM   #13
MaverickM
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m340xi, bmw x4m40i

miss the power though? how come you didn't get the m340?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #14
ShadowedAngles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340xixixi View Post
Price. Comfort (for my kid), and not really being able to use that much power on the streets

I planned to track the M3 but then I got a divorce and covid hit so..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #15
MaverickM
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m340xi, bmw x4m40i

Quote:
Quote:
Price. Comfort (for my kid), and not really being able to use that much power on the streets

I planned to track the M3 but then I got a divorce and covid hit so..
Well your still rolling in a new beema so you're still doing well!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 12:51 AM   #16
orlandobimmerdude
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330xi

agreed braked should be more responsive
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #17
ShadowedAngles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well your still rolling in a new beema so you're still doing well!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #18
ShadowedAngles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandobimmerdude View Post
agreed braked should be more responsive
yeah. I'm now trying to find out what OEM rotors and pads are used on the car.

Edit+Update:
The BMW parts department at a nearby dealer told me these are the parts numbers:
Brakes Front
pads: 3410-6-888-778
left rotor: 34-10-6-880-072
right front: 34-10-6-880-072

Looks like ZIMMERMANN for the pads:
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/zimmermann/9390562

Can't find rotor's on google.

Last edited by ShadowedAngles; 07-15-2020 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #19
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I'm out of an M3 and into a M340. It is a much better daily drive. Faster, smoother, more refined. Doesn't handle quite as well as the M cars but honestly for driving around town it is perfectly fine.

The tanzanite blue is a fabulous color paired with the black wheels. Especially when really clean.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #20
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I'm out of an M3 and into a M340. It is a much better daily drive. Faster, smoother, more refined. Doesn't handle quite as well as the M cars but honestly for driving around town it is perfectly fine.

The tanzanite blue is a fabulous color paired with the black wheels. Especially when really clean.
How's the M340 faster than your previous F80??
No magazine confirmed that (quite the opposite), less HP, (considerably) higher weight.
A few that challenged me on the side roads had no chance at all and I am stock, Base M3...
If it does not handle as well as the F80, how much improvement is over the F30 335i or 340i? I had the 335i for 3 years and now the F80 for 2.5 years... Handling is different but not that much on city streets...

That being said, just ordered the Tanzanite M340i as my next car since I fulfilled my childhood dream with an M3 and used only a fraction of its potential....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2023, 10:44 PM   #21
ShadowedAngles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So my lease is ending soon and I wanted to give a short update.

Overall, really like the car. I drove it for 22k miles mostly in ECO PRO mode. I got around 32 mpg city driving. I could get as high as 34 if I drove on the highway.

I've had no issues /knock on wood

Sometimes Spotify doesn't connect or gets laggy.

I got used to the brakes - I did consider changing them out but the shop wanted like 3.5k for that.

The run flats really saved me twice. One I had a nail and it lost all air over 10-15 minutes. I was literally on 0 psi driving around. It was great. The second time, I had a very slow leak (took around 1 to 2 weeks to lose ~10 PSI). I replaced both tires.

Issues with run flats:
1. They are really expensive and can't patch them. ~$450 to install each after labor. I got 1 changed at the dealer and the second at an indy shop.
2. They are hard to find. I needed to have special orders placed and wait to bring my car in. This is even at the dealer! I had to wait like 3-4 days.
3. They don't seem to wear that great? I didn't rotate my tires once on time due to COVID so that may have something to do with it.

I don't use the automated parking feature.

I'd keep the car but I'm feeling that itch again (and my son is older now (and likes to now sleep in beds) so he likes going fast!)...so my next car will be hopefully be a M340ix.

Feel free to ask me anything!
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2023, 10:58 PM   #22
dhock_holiday
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta

Quote:
So my lease is ending soon and I wanted to give a short update.

Overall, really like the car. I drove it for 22k miles mostly in ECO PRO mode. I got around 32 mpg city driving. I could get as high as 34 if I drove on the highway.

I've had no issues /knock on wood

Sometimes Spotify doesn't connect or gets laggy.

I got used to the brakes - I did consider changing them out but the shop wanted like 3.5k for that.

The run flats really saved me twice. One I had a nail and it lost all air over 10-15 minutes. I was literally on 0 psi driving around. It was great. The second time, I had a very slow leak (took around 1 to 2 weeks to lose ~10 PSI). I replaced both tires.

Issues with run flats:
1. They are really expensive and can't patch them. ~$450 to install each after labor. I got 1 changed at the dealer and the second at an indy shop.
2. They are hard to find. I needed to have special orders placed and wait to bring my car in. This is even at the dealer! I had to wait like 3-4 days.
3. They don't seem to wear that great? I didn't rotate my tires once on time due to COVID so that may have something to do with it.

I don't use the automated parking feature.

I'd keep the car but I'm feeling that itch again (and my son is older now (and likes to now sleep in beds) so he likes going fast!)...so my next car will be hopefully be a M340ix.

Feel free to ask me anything!
Great choice. The B58 is probably the last BMW ICE engine before we all have to drive golf carts around
Appreciate 0