06-19-2020, 03:53 PM   #23
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLife View Post
As I suggested, my hope is that this is already planned. I don't think the costs would be astronomical. There are LCIs for most models already, I don't think this would be that different. I did not suggest they do this after a week. Also, as I suggested this is used as a hedge against a risky design. What good does saving a bit of money in R&D by not having a contingency plan on a risky model do when you put your entire bankroll on one bet that the public love something drastically different than what they are accustomed to, there is an impact to net income from losing sales/revenue as well, it isn't just about saving money.

Just a side note, corporate finance and management boards typically do not approve/disapprove one part being changed on one of a couple dozen models. They usually approve overall budgets by department/business unit and company(an FP&A group would likely generate budgets by vehicle and roll it up for board approval). They could care less about a bumper, as long as you stay within your overall budget from an expense standpoint and are able to meet or exceed sales expectations. Even when looking at in on a model by model basis(each model having its own P&L), you would just budget for the LCI over the life of the vehicle (say 5 years, and beginning in year 3). You absolutely can get this approved even if there is some additional cost, because you recognize the necessity to keep revenue and sales momentum in the middle of the cycle, without it I dont know how you project steady sales beginning in year 3. One way you can get an expense approved is by showing corresponding revenue increases.

The ONLY thing that I am suggesting that is done differently here from the past is that the LCI grill be changed, while in the past it has just been lights and other similar smaller changes. As long as the parts that bolt onto the vehicle are the same dimensions, I don't think it is that much of a reach.
I don't recall there's a precedent from BMW of an early major facelift; if you do, please enlighten. The last time a controversial design was trashed like this was the E65 Bangle Butt fiasco in 2001. Like this one, there was ample advanced warning people would dislike and react strongly to that design but the facelift didn't happen until 2005 which is within the normal BMW LCI cycle.

I think as far as this pig snout design is concerned, BMW is - as the saying goes - in for a penny, in for a pound. I don't expect an LCI until 2024-2025.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 07:02 PM   #24
CityLife
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I don't recall there's a precedent from BMW of an early major facelift; if you do, please enlighten. The last time a controversial design was trashed like this was the E65 Bangle Butt fiasco in 2001. Like this one, there was ample advanced warning people would dislike and react strongly to that design but the facelift didn't happen until 2005 which is within the normal BMW LCI cycle.

I think as far as this pig snout design is concerned, BMW is - as the saying goes - in for a penny, in for a pound. I don't expect an LCI until 2024-2025.
I agree, I do not think there will be an early facelift, and also based on some posts from some more qualified people than I, it doesnt seem as though the LCI will likely be drastic change, so this seems like the general design we will get for the next 5 model years.
Appreciate 0