Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Door handle creaking

01-13-2020, 06:32 PM   #1
EddieA1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 340i, m240i, M2C, m340i

Door handle creaking

Has anyone else observed that their exterior door handles creak when pressing in the trim of the door handle? My M340i exhibits this on each of the driver-side handles, but not on the passenger-side. For example, when I exit my car, I tend to close the door by pushing on the door handle (vs the B pillar, or the door itself), that's how I noticed the sound. I've never heard that on any other BMW I've owned. Sounds pretty shitty for a premium car. Anyway, my car was in for service today for some other concerns (electronics) and I brought this up to the service manager. Service checked it against other new cars on the lot and found that the exterior door handles creak on some, while not on others. Their conclusion: the door was operating as designed. Total BS answer that defies logic. I would think that the trim of the door handle is attached to the body of the door handle mechanism via clips. My guess would be that one of the clips is the issue, resulting in the trim not properly binding to the handle. I brought this up to them, but that didn't seem resonate. Anybody else have the same problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:45 PM   #2
GolanTrevize_86
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i B48B20B

Yes mine does it too, less than before but it does, and a lot of them do it, if not the first early days, they will, its dissapointing as you said. The F30 doesnt.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
ByronWalter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i xDrive

Maybe you can hit it with a little silicone spray? Mine is fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:03 PM   #4
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Is it new? My side mirror when it would fold in when locking/unlocking was creaking super loud when I first got the car. In fact, it was loud to the point where I just had enough of it after 2 weeks of dealing with it and I just took it in.

They applied some lubricant on it and it didn't fix the issue, so they ordered a new mirror and the motor for it from Germany which took like 4 weeks to come in. Like a week before the mirror arrived it stopped making the noise and I never replaced the mirror.

Maybe try some lubricant or if the car is still new give it a few weeks and it might just go away.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:22 PM   #5
EddieA1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Is it new? My side mirror when it would fold in when locking/unlocking was creaking super loud when I first got the car. In fact, it was loud to the point where I just had enough of it after 2 weeks of dealing with it and I just took it in.

They applied some lubricant on it and it didn't fix the issue, so they ordered a new mirror and the motor for it from Germany which took like 4 weeks to come in. Like a week before the mirror arrived it stopped making the noise and I never replaced the mirror.

Maybe try some lubricant or if the car is still new give it a few weeks and it might just go away.
Interesting enough, I didn't notice the door handle creaking when I initially bought the car. It seems to have gotten progressively worse. Personally, I think the whole door handle has to be replaced. I'm not going to settle for less. It's definitely not "operating as designed", just because ~50% of the other new G20 cars they tested exhibited the same creak. That just confirms that the design of the G20 door handle us sub-par by relative comparison. Creaking is never a sign that something is operating as normal in a car. In fact, it's the opposite. The door handled on my prior E90s, F30s, F22 and F87 where solid. I like my car components to be well constituted. Especially the parts I interact with frequently. After all, that's why I bought this car. I'm coming to the notion that the G20's build quality with some items are not good. I really wonder how well this car will age over time? Oh, the trials and tribulations of 1st gen cars. I'll never do it again! I got lured in by the improved performance from the first-time M performance tune in a 3er, as well as the upgraded interior. But to sacrifice build quality for that was not a worthy trade off. I'd rather have a tight car than a loose and fast car, with some gimmicky digital platform buts. What a pain in the ass!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 10:27 PM   #6
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieA1 View Post
Quote:

Interesting enough, I didn't notice the door handle creaking when I initially bought the car. It seems to have gotten progressively worse. Personally, I think the whole door handle has to be replaced. I'm not going to settle for less. It's definitely not "operating as designed", just because ~50% of the other new G20 cars they tested exhibited the same creak. That just confirms that the design of the G20 door handle us sub-par by relative comparison. Creaking is never a sign that something is operating as normal in a car. In fact, it's the opposite. The door handled on my prior E90s, F30s, F22 and F87 where solid. I like my car components to be well constituted. Especially the parts I interact with frequently. After all, that's why I bought this car. I'm coming to the notion that the G20's build quality with some items are not good. I really wonder how well this car will age over time? Oh, the trials and tribulations of 1st gen cars. I'll never do it again! I got lured in by the improved , first time M performance tune and upgraded interior. But to sacrifice build quality for that was not a worthy trade off. What a pain in the ass!
Don't forget to throw in the connected drive app is all fucked up too. And to this day, I'll keep complaining till it's fixed. Didn't pay all this money for some simple shit like an app to not work for over 3 months now. Whoever runs that department needs to be fired immediately.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2020, 10:38 PM   #7
EddieA1
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Interesting enough, I didn't notice the door handle creaking when I initially bought the car. It seems to have gotten progressively worse. Personally, I think the whole door handle has to be replaced. I'm not going to settle for less. It's definitely not "operating as designed", just because ~50% of the other new G20 cars they tested exhibited the same creak. That just confirms that the design of the G20 door handle us sub-par by relative comparison. Creaking is never a sign that something is operating as normal in a car. In fact, it's the opposite. The door handled on my prior E90s, F30s, F22 and F87 where solid. I like my car components to be well constituted. Especially the parts I interact with frequently. After all, that's why I bought this car. I'm coming to the notion that the G20's build quality with some items are not good. I really wonder how well this car will age over time? Oh, the trials and tribulations of 1st gen cars. I'll never do it again! I got lured in by the improved , first time M performance tune and upgraded interior. But to sacrifice build quality for that was not a worthy trade off. What a pain in the ass!
Don't forget to throw in the connected drive app is all fucked up too. And to this day, I'll keep complaining till it's fixed. Didn't pay all this money for some simple shit like an app to not work for over 3 months now. Whoever runs that department needs to be fired immediately.
Here, here. And that dumb digital card key doesn't work consistently for me either. Why make something and give it such a prominent place in the car if it's doesn't work consistently? I have the stamina and fortitude to document and do my level best to have them address every reasonable short coming of the car. I'll say it again, sometimes these luxury brands are victims of their own quality hype. So why not take them to the mat over each obvious short coming. Within reason if course. Document everything so that other generations don't have to duffer the same design deficiencies. But what terrible thing to place this l onus on a longtime valued customer. Arrogant European luxury brands can sometimes be this way.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 11:04 PM   #8
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here, here. And that dumb digital card key doesn't work consistently for me either. Why make something and give it such a prominent place in the car if it's doesn't work consistently? I have the stamina and fortitude to document and do my level best to have them address every reasonable short coming of the car. I'll say it again, sometimes these luxury brands are victims of their own quality hype. So why not take them to the mat over each obvious short coming. Within reason if course. Document everything so that other generations don't have to duffer the same design deficiencies. But what terrible thing to place this l onus on a longtime valued customer. Arrogant European luxury brands can sometimes be this way.
I hear you man. Not sure if I'm willing to be an early adopter next time around. We are the beta testers for BMW, not what I signed up for. Luckily most of my issues are gone now other than the fucked up app which I used ALL THE TIME. And I am not trying to update to the latest software either and have some other bullshit break because they were stupid enough not to test properly prior to release.

Anyways what's wrong with your digital key? Mines works whenever I use it, is yours not opening the door always?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 06:27 AM   #9
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Wow I really gotta say, it seems like the base 330i has a lot better build quality than the m340 😬
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #10
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaid View Post
Wow I really gotta say, it seems like the base 330i has a lot better build quality than the m340 😬
Based on what?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:17 AM   #11
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Based on what?
Based on a majority of m340i complaining about problems and 330i owners saying everything is fine, I also have both and my 330 deff feels better built than my m340
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:33 AM   #12
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec800 View Post
Based on a majority of m340i complaining about problems and 330i owners saying everything is fine, I also have both and my 330 deff feels better built than my m340
That's a pretty bold assumption. Perhaps a lot of M340i owners just aren't saying that they haven't had a single problem? Myself included? Some of the issues people are having, like the dimming of the gauges, are not model specific. I don't have a single creak or rattle.
Appreciate 0