Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Family locked in car - 330i

12-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #23
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
This is a typical BMW feature that goes back many generations (E46 did that).

You lock the car from outside, no one inside is going out.

It is in your owners manual. Having said all of that, I have no idea what purpose it serves.
I would think it would keep a car jacker in the car until the cops arrived.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #24
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
For sure!
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #25
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

In the american G20 330i, if you lock the car from outside, using comfort access OR the keyfob, the person inside can still get out by pulling on the door lever. It does not lock the person inside. I just tried this in my car 10 minutes ago at the petrol station with my wife in the car.
Appreciate 3
      12-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #26
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330Xdrive

Worse Case, you can also use the BMW Connected app to Unlock the car too.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #27
G20.rjm
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
In the american G20 330i, if you lock the car from outside, using comfort access OR the keyfob, the person inside can still get out by pulling on the door lever. It does not lock the person inside. I just tried this in my car 10 minutes ago at the petrol station with my wife in the car.
I'm taking it to the dealer to see if they can correct this. If the USA version is set up that way they should be able to do the same here in Australia. I'm also having iDrive updated to the latest which may solve the problem. Any Australian BMW 330i G20s experiencing the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 04:32 AM   #28
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20.rjm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
That's odd, what you described is a "deadlock," an anti-theft measure, which is decoded in all US-spec vehicles.

If the vehicle's occupancy sensors detects someone is still locked inside, it allows them to open the door.

In fact, I've tried a few times to lock my girlfriend in the car because she was annoying me and she was able to use the double-pull handle to unlock the door, after I locked it with the key fob from outside.

The US is very litigious country, where you not only allowed but encouraged to sue anyone for just about any possible reason, even its a result of their own negligence. There are people who would see getting locked inside a car in the same way most of us would look at a winning lottery ticket.

Frankly, I'm surprise this is even possible on a new BMW model but I would investigate it even further.

I'm not doubting you but there must be a way to open the door if someone becomes inadvertently trapped inside.
I thought they made it single pull on the G20 to unlock from the inside.
I don't believe they did, it's just there is a unlock button now and vehicle also unlocks for itself, upon a stop, so it makes this 'feature' redundant.

I'm still pretty sure there is a failsafe way for a passenger to free themselves from a locked vehicle. I can't see BMW making such a glaring omission exposing them to liability, in this litigious climate.

I just need to confirm it.
Poochie when you figure out how to do this I would love to know how you did it. I have tried for a while now and it seems that once you are locked inside without a key, there is no way to escape without breaking the glass - something not easily done from the inside.
There is a regional difference between the North American-spec vehicles and the rest of the world on how the locking system functions.

The US-spec vehicles programming errs on the side of safety and puts personal safety over possible vehicle theft.

Thus, I've verify that you're unable to lock anyone inside, only outside of North America the doors "deadlocks" a result of strick European auto anti-theft laws.

That explains the confusion and difference in modus operandi between the vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 07:12 AM   #29
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
That's odd, what you described is a "deadlock," an anti-theft measure, which is decoded in all US-spec vehicles.

If the vehicle's occupancy sensors detects someone is still locked inside, it allows them to open the door.

In fact, I've tried a few times to lock my girlfriend in the car because she was annoying me and she was able to use the double-pull handle to unlock the door, after I locked it with the key fob from outside.

The US is very litigious country, where you not only allowed but encouraged to sue anyone for just about any possible reason, even its a result of their own negligence. There are people who would see getting locked inside a car in the same way most of us would look at a winning lottery ticket.

Frankly, I'm surprise this is even possible on a new BMW model but I would investigate it even further.

I'm not doubting you but there must be a way to open the door if someone becomes inadvertently trapped inside.
I thought they made it single pull on the G20 to unlock from the inside.
I don't believe they did, it's just there is a unlock button now and vehicle also unlocks for itself, upon a stop, so it makes this 'feature' redundant.

I'm still pretty sure there is a failsafe way for a passenger to free themselves from a locked vehicle. I can't see BMW making such a glaring omission exposing them to liability, in this litigious climate.

I just need to confirm it.
Poochie when you figure out how to do this I would love to know how you did it. I have tried for a while now and it seems that once you are locked inside without a key, there is no way to escape without breaking the glass - something not easily done from the inside.
There is a regional difference between the North American-spec vehicles and the rest of the world on how the locking system functions.

The US-spec vehicles programming errs on the side of safety and puts personal safety over possible vehicle theft.

Thus, I've verify that you're unable to lock anyone inside, only outside the North America the doors "deadlocks" a result of strick European auto anti-theft laws.

That explains the confusion and difference in modus operandi between the vehicles.
I think safety should mean a mechanical latch that can't be overridden by the computer like the manual trunk release should you get locked in the car with no power. And clear indicators of how to get out if locked in. Anti theft means not being able to drive away not trapping occupants.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      12-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #30
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Looking at the spy photos of the G80 you'll see this BMW tester has an emergency escape tool in the door pocket. Just saying.
Attached Images

12-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #31
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Looking at the spy photos of the G80 you'll see this BMW tester has an emergency escape tool in the door pocket. Just saying.
That's in case of the 'remote' possibility there are bugs in the software.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2020, 02:52 AM   #32
Taranto300
Banned
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Any Australian BMW 330i G20s experiencing the same issue?
I totally freaked out when I read the headline. Until I kept reading and saw this post that it’s an Australia issue, not USA. Sounds like BMW deserves a wake up call.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #33
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:

It is in your owners manual. Having said all of that, I have no idea what purpose it serves.
Similar to this?

Lol
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #34
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Glad you were able to test this out. I'm actually going to test it myself as well just to make sure and be safe.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      01-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #35
FUZCO
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS

What about opening the windows from the inside or turning to car off?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 04:42 PM   #36
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Similar to this?

Lol
Was he swigging the owner's water/drink as well???
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 09:25 PM   #37
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

The US is really funny when it comes to people being locked in anything. If I were to secure my home with the locks I used in the UK, my house would be in breach of the fire codes.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 10:24 AM   #38
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

It also stops somebody breaking a window and then using the door latch to open the door to get inside.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #39
premier3is
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Quote:

It also stops somebody breaking a window and then using the door latch to open the door to get inside.
So can't they just climb in through the window and grab what they want?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #40
Taranto300
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
The US is really funny when it comes to people being locked in anything. If I were to secure my home with the locks I used in the UK, my house would be in breach of the fire codes.
Maybe personal safety cost more than stolen property in litigation.
Same thoughts about Cops calling off chasing cars if it’s too dangerous.

Seems like laws that allows criminals having more leeway, is better than dying in a locked car or home.

Last edited by Taranto300; 01-14-2020 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #41
G20.rjm
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

I just took my car back to the dealer (in Australia) and asked them to either permanently disable the deadlock system or at the very least disable it if the vehicle detects someone present in the vehicle at the time of locking (using the seat sensors). I was told this was not possible. When I told them that USA vehicles had this disabled they told me that they had no idea how to disable it and I should follow up with BMW Germany. Pretty poor. They did update iDrive to version 11/2019.40 but testing the car still has deadlock enabled making it possible to inadvertantly lock someone in the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 02:20 PM   #42
Taranto300
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I just took my car back to the dealer (in Australia) and asked them to either permanently disable the deadlock system or at the very least disable it if the vehicle detects someone present in the vehicle at the time of locking (using the seat sensors). I was told this was not possible.
If something happens, obviously you can sue the Aus government and BMW for millions for negligence
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 01:46 PM   #43
MegansIons
Registered
Rep
Drives: x6

U did the right thing by disabling the auto-lock function in the first place. Perhaps something with the key, the keychain could have failed-the signal to the car didn't work at all. Well, in such a situation, I don't even know what to do, except how to call a locksmith. I know a good company https://mylocallocksmithtx.com/my-lo...h-in-grapevine/, where I addressed about the keyhole. If the problem is in the lock, which can jam when the car is locked, then he will look on the spot, but he can pick up the key and look. My problem was solved quickly, I couldn't open the door from the inside and they sorted it out on the spot.

Last edited by MegansIons; 10-08-2021 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 01:32 PM   #44
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranto300 View Post
If something happens, obviously you can sue the Aus government and BMW for millions for negligence
Not every country has the same legal system where "suing" is always an option...

But as others have mentioned, this is a theft prevention dead bolt mechanism. US cars used to have it in the E46 and I believe even the E36's. Thought is, if someone breaks the window then they still can't unlock the vehicle if the vehicle is locked from outside the vehicle. Because of the US' liability laws as mentioned above, BMW disabled the deadbolt feature on the E90's and on for US cars.
Appreciate 0