Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions MT: 330 M Sport vs. Giulia Ti Sport

06-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #23
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
General consensus of G chassis cars so far (based on reviews and my own test drives): improved from the F chassis cars, marginally better than comparable Mercs and Audis, but still not particularly sporty.

For us old heads they are nice cars but don't "feel" like BMWs, they drive like cars from any other major luxury brand. What differentiates BMWs anymore from everybody else?
G20 is way sportier compared to C class and A4. I mean there is no comparison...
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 06-11-2019 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      06-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #24
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
The current market for the 3 series is not predominantly driving enthusiasts. The average 3 series driver seems to care more about image, tech, comfort, and luxury, not sporty driving dynamics.
I disagree. I don't think anything changed. BMW has always cared about image, tech, comfort and luxury in its cars in addition to sporty driving. And it's as of an enthusiast brand as it's ever been. I mean, an "enthusiast" has even more options than he ever did: There's never been a time that you could get Adaptive M Sport suspension, many adjustable settings regarding driving dynamics, track package, etc. in your base BMW 3 series. In 2002, the only "sporty" thing you could do with E90 328i xdrive would be M Sport package.

This is a generational thing. We are the whining generation. We think everything was better in the past, because our generation is lonely and depressed. But in reality, everything is better now. Including 3 series, smartphones, laptops, world peace, economy, etc.

As for Alfa, I drove one in Europe. Interior is ridiculously bad for its category. Steering is too fast for highway cruising. It felt sportier than F30, but it's been a while since I drove it, so can't compare to G20.

However, as it's always been, 3 series is a great all rounder in addition to being a sport saloon. There is room on the "Sportier" side of the spectrum, and Alfa is benefiting from that. 3 series has to be great on the highway, great on the winding roads, should have great quality and reliability, should have cutting edge tech, and should be fun to drive in winding roads. Alfa should just be fun on winding roads to make headlines for shallow american publishers as c&d and mt. And that's the only thing it's really good at. That's why I've been ignoring C&D and MT for a while. Today's audience needs viral headlines and that's what they deliver, not a balanced through review of anything.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 06-11-2019 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 2
Fuller1216.50
BimmerFix1356.50
      06-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #25
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Quote:
General consensus of G chassis cars so far (based on reviews and my own test drives): improved from the F chassis cars, marginally better than comparable Mercs and Audis, but still not particularly sporty.

For us old heads they are nice cars but don't "feel" like BMWs, they drive like cars from any other major luxury brand. What differentiates BMWs anymore from everybody else?
G series is way sportier compared to E class and A4. I mean there is no comparison...
And more reliable to. The E chassis had some teething reliability issues..

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #26
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:

G20 is way sportier compared to C class and A4. I mean there is no comparison...
Have you driven the C43? I've driven the C300 and C43 and the two are completely different beasts. A 330i is most definitely better dynamically than the C300 which aims towards the typical Merc buyer of a very nice and quiet luxury car, but the C43 is very playful and dynamic car making it very enjoyable to drive, although it is a bit stiff, but I would consider it stiff competition for the M340i.
      06-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #27
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
I disagree. I don't think anything changed. BMW has always cared about image, tech, comfort and luxury in its cars in addition to sporty driving. And it's as of an enthusiast brand as it's ever been. I mean, an "enthusiast" has even more options than he ever did: There's never been a time that you could get Adaptive M Sport suspension, many adjustable settings regarding driving dynamics, track package, etc. in your base BMW 3 series. In 2002, the only "sporty" thing you could do with E90 328i xdrive would be M Sport package.

This is a generational thing. We are the whining generation. We think everything was better in the past, because our generation is lonely and depressed. But in reality, everything is better now. Including 3 series, smartphones, laptops, world peace, economy, etc.

As for Alfa, I drove one in Europe. Interior is ridiculously bad for its category. Steering is too fast for highway cruising. It felt sportier than F30, but it's been a while since I drove it, so can't compare to G20.

However, as it's always been, 3 series is a great all rounder in addition to being a sport saloon. There is room on the "Sportier" side of the spectrum, and Alfa is benefiting from that. 3 series has to be great on the highway, great on the winding roads, should have great quality and reliability, should have cutting edge tech, and should be fun to drive in winding roads. Alfa should just be fun on winding roads to make headlines for shallow american publishers as c&d and mt. And that's the only thing it's really good at. That's why I've been ignoring C&D and MT for a while. Today's audience needs viral headlines and that's what they deliver, not a balanced through review of anything.
Nothing you've said is false but it's still all excuses for BMW giving up on making a true sport sedan. The F30 and G20 do not feel anything like their predecessors and that's a fact.

BMW has had to change with a changing world. They have to appease to hundreds of millions more people than they did 10-15 years ago, and in an increasingly tech-dominated society buyer preferences have changed. I get all that, but the end result still sucks for me either way and I'm going to whine about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #28
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Once again, BMW chose to supply an overspecced car with the Track Package fitted, AKA the kidney stone removal option.

The Alfa has been praised for its ride/handling compromise from the start. The interiors can look dour and boring to gorgeous depending on what you specify. Find one online with the Crema leather and light wood and you will see what I mean.

However, as I have posted elsewhere, Alfa Romeo have managed to line the pockets of a good number of Lemon Law attorneys since its US comeback. One dealer in Phoenix has a large selection of buyback vehicles that are now (supposedly) fixed.

Is the G20 more reliable straight out of the box? I would hope so, although it's hardly a challenge. The biggest issue over here in the US will be dealers ordering highly specified cars at insane prices. The Motortrend car is a perfect example. $60k for a 4-banger 3-series is possible, just don't expect anyone to actually buy it.

As for the Track Option, they should remove them all at the dock given the state of US roads.

Last edited by agentorange; 06-11-2019 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: Oops. G20 not G30
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #29
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
As a millennial currently daily driving a G30 530i m-sport and having an E36 M3 as a weekend car and coming from an E90 328, I will say that from a technical standpoint, the G30 is superior.

But from an enjoyment perspective, both my E36 and E90 are more fun, more enjoyable, and I'd take either one of them over the G30 if I had to pick just one car. I'm not waxing nostalgic. There are days I've driven the G30 and E36 back to back and I vastly prefer the E36. Due to some back issues, I need the multi contour seats in the G30 as a daily, but thats the only reason I'm driving it.

When the lease on the G30 is up, I'm either going to go M2c to get some of that fun back, or E39 or E90 to have a nice balance between comfort and driving enjoyment. If my E90 wasn't destroyed, I'd still be driving it.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      06-11-2019, 06:45 PM   #30
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
As a millennial currently daily driving a G30 530i m-sport and having an E36 M3 as a weekend car and coming from an E90 328, I will say that from a technical standpoint, the G30 is superior.

But from an enjoyment perspective, both my E36 and E90 are more fun, more enjoyable, and I'd take either one of them over the G30 if I had to pick just one car. I'm not waxing nostalgic. There are days I've driven the G30 and E36 back to back and I vastly prefer the E36. Due to some back issues, I need the multi contour seats in the G30 as a daily, but thats the only reason I'm driving it.

When the lease on the G30 is up, I'm either going to go M2c to get some of that fun back, or E39 or E90 to have a nice balance between comfort and driving enjoyment. If my E90 wasn't destroyed, I'd still be driving it.
I think your observations are more about a 4pot 5 series that is mostly focused on comfortable & refined commuting, vs 6 pot 3 series. I you compare it to the equivalent car from the era (e39 525i) your 530 would be more fun. (E39 525i would float like a boat, and it’s 180hp!) If you drive an f82 M4 which is the equivalent to a e36 m3, I think f82 would be way more fun. But of course that depends on your definition of fun. If refinement is not fun for you, older the car is more fun it would be for you. I mean in that context, a BMW 2002 would be awesome for you.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #31
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Quote:

I think your observations are more about a 4pot 5 series that is mostly focused on comfortable & refined commuting, vs 6 pot 3 series. I you compare it to e39 525i, your 530 would be more fun. If you drive an f82 M4 which is the equivalent to a e36 m3, I think f82 would be way more fun. But of course that depends on your definition of fun. If refinement is not fun for you, older the car is more fun it would be for you. I mean in that context, a BMW 2002 would be awesome.
I found myself driving behind a 2002 last week. That's a car I don't see everyday.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 10:29 PM   #32
Brett240
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

i was in the market for the Giulia Veloce, and just randomly cross shopped the BMW 3 series one spare afternoon.

ended up with my first BMW ( previous Alfa owner ). besides first hand experience at Alfa unreliability, there are enough stories about Giulia's breaking to put me off.

plus.. .the interior on the G20 is light years ahead of the Alfa. it was old when it came out, and now it looks ancient.

Last edited by Brett240; 06-11-2019 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:16 PM   #33
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett240 View Post
i was in the market for the Giulia Veloce, and just randomly cross shopped the BMW 3 series one spare afternoon.

ended up with my first BMW ( previous Alfa owner ). besides first hand experience at Alfa unreliability, there are enough stories about Giulia's breaking to put me off.

plus.. .the interior on the G20 is light years ahead of the Alfa. it was old when it came out, and now it looks ancient.
The Giulia's interior isn't even up to snuff with the E90 which hit dealers in what, 2006?

It's a downright shameful interior in base trims. You need a good color scheme and full leather option to make it bearable.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 01:50 AM   #34
WarmLuke
Registered
Rep
Drives: B8 VW Passat

Conversely if you look at the British publications they can't seem to praise the G20 enough. It seems like there has been a rift in terms of opinions of BMW dynamics since the F10 5 series came out. For my money the G20 feels much more engaging than the C-Class an A4 but I haven't tried the Alfa.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #35
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think your observations are more about a 4pot 5 series that is mostly focused on comfortable & refined commuting, vs 6 pot 3 series. I you compare it to the equivalent car from the era (e39 525i) your 530 would be more fun. (E39 525i would float like a boat, and it’s 180hp!) If you drive an f82 M4 which is the equivalent to a e36 m3, I think f82 would be way more fun. But of course that depends on your definition of fun. If refinement is not fun for you, older the car is more fun it would be for you. I mean in that context, a BMW 2002 would be awesome for you.
I get what you’re saying but it’s not the engine. Just the feel of the steering and the feedback you get is lacking. The 5 is too refined and not engaging to drive. The 8at also has a lot to do with it. I much prefer the 6mt in my e90 and 5mt in the e36. The G20 is much more like the 5 series now than it is a 3...a lot of the nimbleness that differentiated the 3 from the 5 is gone.

I’ve driven the F82 many times both on track and on street. I vastly prefer my e36 to the F82. The power in the f82 is obviously on a completely different level but the e36 is much more engaging. Power isn’t all that important to me as much as feeling a connection with the car, which is lacking in the f82 which has a clinical precision but is boring and sterile.

I was hoping the G80 would bring back some of that emotion older m cars had, but this MT article isn’t promising since BMW claimed they were making the G20 a return to driving enjoyment and it doesn’t seem like that’s happening.

And I know it will sound crazy but the latest gen camaro has the sort of feel BMW used to. Even though the steering is EPS it manages to give the right balance between feel, speed, and precision and is in perfect harmony with the suspension. The camaro feels like a slightly more refined e39 with better dynamics. If Chevy can do it, BMW can certainly do it. They’re choosing not to.
Appreciate 2
      06-12-2019, 12:10 PM   #36
apascutia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi MT

Quote:
I strongly disagree with your statement about the E39 525i feeling like a boat. Not bringing up the sport package model, I'm talking about the regular model without the sport suspension. Yes, it has a little float to it when you push it to the limit, but the car still communicates with you what it's doing. It's comfortable like a base G30, but you have really good steering feel, and you don't have suspension that gives up at the first corner. I recently drove a G30 530i, and while it's a very quiet and refined car, it's so numb and boring. I don't get why anyone would get one, personally. The engine and transmission calibration was great, but it felt so strange when putting it through a corner. It did not like being pushed. Plus, you could get an E39 525i with a manual. Great cruiser but if you showed it some corners, it would hug the road, the steering would talk to you, and the engine would sing. Let's not even talk about the difference in build quality in the interior between these two cars. From the moment you opened the extremely heavy and solid feeling door to the E39, you knew you were in something special. The G30 doors feel so tinny. The G30 is a fine daily driver, but it certainly doesn't feel like a BMW. The current Kia Stinger feels a lot more like a 5 series than the G30./End Rant
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #37
apascutia
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I get what you’re saying but it’s not the engine. Just the feel of the steering and the feedback you get is lacking. The 5 is too refined and not engaging to drive. The 8at also has a lot to do with it. I much prefer the 6mt in my e90 and 5mt in the e36. The G20 is much more like the 5 series now than it is a 3...a lot of the nimbleness that differentiated the 3 from the 5 is gone.

I’ve driven the F82 many times both on track and on street. I vastly prefer my e36 to the F82. The power in the f82 is obviously on a completely different level but the e36 is much more engaging. Power isn’t all that important to me as much as feeling a connection with the car, which is lacking in the f82 which has a clinical precision but is boring and sterile.

I was hoping the G80 would bring back some of that emotion older m cars had, but this MT article isn’t promising since BMW claimed they were making the G20 a return to driving enjoyment and it doesn’t seem like that’s happening.

And I know it will sound crazy but the latest gen camaro has the sort of feel BMW used to. Even though the steering is EPS it manages to give the right balance between feel, speed, and precision and is in perfect harmony with the suspension. The camaro feels like a slightly more refined e39 with better dynamics. If Chevy can do it, BMW can certainly do it. They’re choosing not to.
The EPS that GM uses in the Camaro and Corvette is fantastic. Driving a Chevrolet SS with the 6 speed manual made me laugh with joy. Ignoring the crappy interior plastics, it genuinely felt like a modern reincarnation of the E39 M5. Except with much better steering feel than the recirculating ball type the M5 had. The chassis felt so good, the steering was sharp and communicative, and the engine was fantastic. Plus, the good old 6 speed manual. It's a fantastic car!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 02:15 PM   #38
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apascutia View Post
Quote:
I think your observations are more about a 4pot 5 series that is mostly focused on comfortable & refined commuting, vs 6 pot 3 series. I you compare it to the equivalent car from the era (e39 525i) your 530 would be more fun. (E39 525i would float like a boat, and it's 180hp!) If you drive an f82 M4 which is the equivalent to a e36 m3, I think f82 would be way more fun. But of course that depends on your definition of fun. If refinement is not fun for you, older the car is more fun it would be for you. I mean in that context, a BMW 2002 would be awesome for you.
I strongly disagree with your statement about the E39 525i feeling like a boat. Not bringing up the sport package model, I'm talking about the regular model without the sport suspension. Yes, it has a little float to it when you push it to the limit, but the car still communicates with you what it's doing. It's comfortable like a base G30, but you have really good steering feel, and you don't have suspension that gives up at the first corner. I recently drove a G30 530i, and while it's a very quiet and refined car, it's so numb and boring. I don't get why anyone would get one, personally. The engine and transmission calibration was great, but it felt so strange when putting it through a corner. It did not like being pushed. Plus, you could get an E39 525i with a manual. Great cruiser but if you showed it some corners, it would hug the road, the steering would talk to you, and the engine would sing. Let's not even talk about the difference in build quality in the interior between these two cars. From the moment you opened the extremely heavy and solid feeling door to the E39, you knew you were in something special. The G30 doors feel so tinny. The G30 is a fine daily driver, but it certainly doesn't feel like a BMW. The current Kia Stinger feels a lot more like a 5 series than the G30./End Rant
I enjoy driving my G30 530i. Built like a tank and certainly feels like a BMW to me.

Got a problem with that?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      06-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #39
apascutia
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
I enjoy driving my G30 530i. Built like a tank and certainly feels like a BMW to me.

Got a problem with that?
Like I said, it’s a fine car. It’s just too disconnected for me. It’s refined, the engine and trans combo is brilliant, and it’s a great highway cruiser. I just personally think it’s a little dull.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #40
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like I said, it’s a fine car. It’s just too disconnected for me. It’s refined, the engine and trans combo is brilliant, and it’s a great highway cruiser. I just personally think it’s a little dull.
I have one, mine has the m-sport package and I'll say its extremely dull. It's a great luxury car but the sport aspect is lacking
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #41
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Wow. You went way off course at the end. I mean build & material quality is not subjective.
It's like you don't know what build & material quality is. G30 has the best materials I've ever seen in a BMW except for 7 series. Every single plastic piece is soft and high end (Except for the little door left of steering wheel which is mostly irrelevant), and everything fits perfectly

I didn't drive 530i extensively, but 540i MSport wants to be pushed, sings when you want it to sing, hugs the road much much better than E39s that I drove including the V8 540i, has perfect balance of comfort & handling, and it's a lot of fun to drive. I like it better than my F82 M4, I actually like it better than any other car I've had in the past.

Leaving nostalgic feelings aside; in reality, E39 didn't hug the road better, didn't have a better suspension, didn't have better materials, didn't have better engine. It probably had better steering 'feel', but it was soft.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50

Last edited by Cortexiphan; 06-13-2019 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      06-13-2019, 03:34 PM   #42
apascutia
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Wow. You went way off course at the end. I mean build & material quality is not subjective.
It's like you don't know what build & material quality is. G30 has the best materials I've ever seen in a BMW except for 7 series. Every single plastic piece is soft and high end (Except for the little door left of steering wheel which is mostly irrelevant), and everything fits perfectly

I didn't drive 530i extensively, but 540i MSport wants to be pushed, sings when you want it to sing, hugs the road much much better than E39s that I drove including the V8 540i, has perfect balance of comfort & handling, and it's a lot of fun to drive. I like it better than my F82 M4, I actually like it better than any other car I've had in the past.

Leaving nostalgic feelings aside; in reality, E39 didn't hug the road better, didn't have a better suspension, didn't have better materials, didn't have better engine. It probably had better steering 'feel', but it was soft.
The E39 for sure had a better ride/handling balance. It didn’t feel like such a massive car. The interior of the door panels on the G30 is hard plastic. The area around moonroof/reading lights has horrible flex. I’m not just saying these things for the purpose of nostalgia, but I’ve had a lot of seat time in all these cars and these are my observations. The M550i is probably the worst tuned one of the lot. The engine’s very impressive, but it’s so incredibly numb and the ride is awful. You go over any sort of bump and you get all these secondary motions, plus it feels like you’re about to blow out your tires which isn’t ok. I see you have an E92/E93 in your profile pic. I love the E90 series BMW. I really regret not getting one instead of my F30. Sure, the G30 is very advanced technologically, and I loved the way the engine meshed with the transmission, but it’s just missing something. That’s my opinion. The 530i,540i, and M5 are great cars, they just don’t appeal to me because of how remote they feel. By the way, I’m not some old schmuck who’s insisting that everything old is better. Ignoring the 5 series, I love the current 2 series, X3, and the outgoing 6 series. I’ll give you this though, the B58 engine is fantastic. Truly one of the greats. I haven’t driven the 540i, but I have driven the 530i, M550i, and M5. The 530i was too soft in my mind, the M550i was horribly tuned but fast, and the M5 is extremely fast + capable. Maybe the 540i’s the best compromise.

Last edited by apascutia; 06-13-2019 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Added to my post
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 05:14 PM   #43
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The E39 for sure had a better ride/handling balance. It didn’t feel like such a massive car. The interior of the door panels on the G30 is hard plastic. The area around moonroof/reading lights has horrible flex. I’m not just saying these things for the purpose of nostalgia, but I’ve had a lot of seat time in all these cars and these are my observations. The M550i is probably the worst tuned one of the lot. The engine’s very impressive, but it’s so incredibly numb and the ride is awful. You go over any sort of bump and you get all these secondary motions, plus it feels like you’re about to blow out your tires which isn’t ok. I see you have an E92/E93 in your profile pic. I love the E90 series BMW. I really regret not getting one instead of my F30. Sure, the G30 is very advanced technologically, and I loved the way the engine meshed with the transmission, but it’s just missing something. That’s my opinion. The 530i,540i, and M5 are great cars, they just don’t appeal to me because of how remote they feel. By the way, I’m not some old schmuck who’s insisting that everything old is better. Ignoring the 5 series, I love the current 2 series, X3, and the outgoing 6 series. I’ll give you this though, the B58 engine is fantastic. Truly one of the greats. I haven’t driven the 540i, but I have driven the 530i, M550i, and M5. The 530i was too soft in my mind, the M550i was horribly tuned but fast, and the M5 is extremely fast + capable. Maybe the 540i’s the best compromise.

The G30 is a fabulous automobile and it does what it does best.... Eat the miles in absolute and pristine comfort and safety. It's a car that was designed to be an excellent family hauler with a hint of sportiness. Nothing more, nothing less. And if you want a sportier 5er, you can get the 540i, M550i, M5, M5 Competition and Alpina B5.

Appreciate 1
vladmury101.00
      06-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #44
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have one, mine has the m-sport package and I'll say its extremely dull. It's a great luxury car but the sport aspect is lacking
I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands!

Appreciate 0