Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Differences between Active Cruise and Driving Assistance Pro?

01-12-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Differences between Active Cruise and Driving Assistance Pro?

The data on BMW's website is helpful but not 100% clear. Curious first if anyone has ordered a vehicle with Active Cruise? I found that radar cruise control has been a godsend on long trips in other manufacturer's vehicles so I want it, but it strikes me that if I don't want the partial autonomy features in Drive Assist Pro, Active Cruise would be fine.

Another question as well since Active Cruise is a Priority 1 option, does this create production delays like Individual paint can?

Anyone else debate between the two? Here's a summary from the configurator.

Active Cruise (5DF):
"Active Cruise Control maintains your selected speed; it also uses radar to keep your preselected distance from the vehicle ahead with limited-force automated braking - a useful feature in stop-and-go traffic. Also included is Frontal Collision Warning: if the vehicle ahead suddenly brakes, you are alerted and, if necessary, the brakes engage. NOTE: This feature is not a substitute for the driver's own responsibility. Due to the road, traffic and visibility conditions, the driver decides whether and how the system is used."

Driving Assistance Professional (ZDY):
"Maximize peace of mind every time you get behind the wheel of your vehicle with innovative features like Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Active Lane Keeping Assistant with Side Collision Avoidance and Automatic Lane Change for worry-free highway travel; Evasion Assistant and Cross-traffic Alert for the front of the vehicle to minimize risk during city driving; and Steering and Traffic Jam Assistant for super-convenient, partially-automated driving."

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:02 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

To me, the biggest value in the DAP is the active cruise control. So if you can get it separately, and you don't really want the rest, go for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #3
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

One difference between the two is that the DAP ACC is more high-level hardware-wise (although there were rumors that BMW was using the same hardware for the stand-alone version as well at least initially). Also the stand-alone one only goes to 160 km/h, DAP to 210 km/h (probably only useful for unrestricted Autobahn driving in Germany).

Finally, I believe DAP can automatically adjust the speed to upcoming speed limits in such a way that it smoothly varies the speed to be at the point the speed limit takes effect while you have to manually set the speed each time after the limit changes in the stand-alone ACC. Also, DAP might be better (or the only one) at slowing down before corners etc. and it potentially can stop for red lights.

So overall DAP should give you the smoother ride, but the regular ACC should be pretty ok if that is all you want.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #4
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

Driving Assitant Professional also contains the speed limit info on your dashboard based on actual camera data. If you want it can automatically adjust the speed of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 03:27 PM   #5
Gadakk
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d G21

I have Active Cruise Control but not assisted Driving. As others have mentioned the car still recognizes the speed limit signs but it will not actively adjust the speed limit changes. You need to manually press "set" on the wheel to adjust the limit to the limits read from the signs. Atleast I dont know how to let it do it automaticely?

Also, I can choose to use the center of the digital cluster as route preview as seen in the pic attached. This looks like the picture people with assisted driving can use were others cars are shown. However in my car nothing happens. I just see the same static image, no cars or anything. Maybe someone can explain this?

The ACC works really good and I dont regret not getting the assisted package.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2020, 12:49 PM   #6
Kaisernv
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

I've got the Pro package and have been testing it out for a couple of weeks. I'm still getting use to it but I do like not having to do the stop and go traffic especially in some German construction sites. I just need to fine tune the distance settings on the car. The front radar is good, it'll even ID and change the image of the vehicle, car, motorcycle or bicycle to show you what's up ahead and in your left and right lanes. I don't think there's going to be a big production delay, order what you want and they produce it within a day, depends on how many car orders are ahead of you. I ordered mine late November and had it delivered mid-December from the Munich factory to Kaiserslautern.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #7
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thanks everyone for their replies! The matching to speed limit automatically is intriguing, as at least in the states lots of speed traps are set right at a limit change. Also glad that the option didn't add a serious delay on order.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:30 AM   #8
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Attachment worth reading carefully. Package adds significant safety tech like side collision avoidance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Appreciate 3
G8rGrl568.50
ubchariot101.50
      01-14-2020, 09:54 AM   #9
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Wow, thanks BMWGirlFL! I'm assuming G15 8-series uses the same system as G20? Will definitely check this out tonight!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 01:20 PM   #10
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
I have Driving Assistance Pro but it does not automatically change to different speed limits. Do I have to active this somewhere?

Thanks
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #11
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
I have Driving Assistance Pro but it does not automatically change to different speed limits. Do I have to active this somewhere?

Thanks
There is a setting in car, settings, driver assistance.

I tried it but didn’t like it. I found that sometimes the speed limits were shown wrong and therefore the car was set to the wrong speed. It would brake or accelerate to the new setting as required which meant I could end up speeding or braking for no reason apart from erroneous speed limits.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 1
Andy3661121.50
      01-19-2020, 04:35 PM   #12
Andy3661
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post

Thanks
There is a setting in car, settings, driver assistance.

I tried it but didn't like it. I found that sometimes the speed limits were shown wrong and therefore the car was set to the wrong speed. It would brake or accelerate to the new setting as required which meant I could end up speeding or braking for no reason apart from erroneous speed limits.
Thanks Tam, I'll have a look in the morning.

I know what you mean about the speed limits. I'm up and down the M6 passing the road works at Stoke so wanted to give it a try through there as it's up and down from 50 to 70 all the time!
BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0