Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Grinding/wind noise

07-03-2020, 03:25 AM   #331
XXXX
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Xdrive Touring Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
Just for info, I have a 320d with the M-Plus kit (19” wheels, larger M-Sport brakes with blue callipers, adaptive damper suspension, and Bridgestone Turanza T005 runflats)

I don’t seem to be getting any of this noise, or at least I don’t think I do.

Perhaps it does indeed have something to do with the larger brakes? Does anyone with the M-Sport brakes (blue callipers with M-Badge) have this issue?
Is it a Touring?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 04:44 AM   #332
berghagen
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Update - first call back:
They called me back this morning, said they hear the sound already from 5km/h. Waiting for further information. I think some of the best technicians in Sweden are on my car.
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2020, 05:17 AM   #333
DConceicao
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 M340i

Hi all,

I have a 2020 G21 M340i xDrive with 19'' wheels (792M) and I don't believe that I have the sound/noise like the one is being discussed here.

I still only have 1.500km in the car, however I've been tracking this thread quite closely and have tested several different options, highway, city, country roads, open windows, closed windows, sport plus, individual, confort, eco. I did found several rattle noises in plastics, the isofix cybex base, but not the grinding sound described here.

Will keep looking for it and updating my feedback here in this thread.

Last edited by DConceicao; 07-03-2020 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 05:19 AM   #334
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i Touring M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by berghagen View Post
They called me back this morning, said they hear the sound already from 5km/h. Waiting for further information. I think some of the best technicians in Sweden are on my car.
Interesting. At least they acknowledge the problem. Keep us updated. And just a heads up - the noise reduction parts they will probably put on your car, are not likely to work
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 07:02 AM   #335
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Just got an email from the dealer. They won't spend any more time investigating and claims that the car is as it should be...!

I'm speechless...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 08:02 AM   #336
berghagen
Rep

Update:
Have spoken to my dealership, technicians are extraordinary good.
Quick replies and knows alot about this problem. They are reading this thread as well and are aware of our conversations. Thumbs up!

Instead of investigating too much on their own, (even though they seem to understand where the problem comes from) they're now getting with BMW centrally to get their opinion on the next step. Seems very smart to me.

I'm convinced that the more complains they get - the more likely BMW are to treat this problem differently - with more care. I'm relatively hopeful, and if BMW wants to do nothing it's not my dealerships fault.

They're giving me a loaner car until monday at least.

I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2020, 04:40 AM   #337
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Update:
Have spoken to my dealership, technicians are extraordinary good.
Quick replies and knows alot about this problem. They are reading this thread as well and are aware of our conversations. Thumbs up!

Instead of investigating too much on their own, (even though they seem to understand where the problem comes from) they're now getting with BMW centrally to get their opinion on the next step. Seems very smart to me.

I'm convinced that the more complains they get - the more likely BMW are to treat this problem differently - with more care. I'm relatively hopeful, and if BMW wants to do nothing it's not my dealerships fault.

They're giving me a loaner car until monday at least.

I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate it. Let's hope your dealership is better than mine.

Keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 02:05 PM   #338
berghagen
Rep

Update - day 3 (working days):
After contact with BMW centrally, they've decided to install anti-resonance parts. Not sure about what they are or how/where they are installed on the car. Would be happy if any of you know and could link/explain what it is?
This will be done probably sometime during the next week, while waiting for the parts needed, I took my car back instead of driving a loaner.

We'll see if this resonance-installation will make any difference, otherwise we'll just go to the next step. It's very clear that the sound is not supposed to be there after driving a 5-series loaner, should be some difference of course but not this radical. Also, now BMW can't say it's a "cosmetic" problem, since they've agreed to try and fix it with a anti-resonance kit. Would be very weird if they in step 2 said that it doesn't make a big enough difference to fix it, when they've already tried with anti resonance parts.

What do you think about this? Should I continue to update? Anyone else in the same process?
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2020, 02:41 PM   #339
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Update - day 3 (working days):
After contact with BMW centrally, they've decided to install anti-resonance parts. Not sure about what they are or how/where they are installed on the car. Would be happy if any of you know and could link/explain what it is?
This will be done probably sometime during the next week, while waiting for the parts needed, I took my car back instead of driving a loaner.

We'll see if this resonance-installation will make any difference, otherwise we'll just go to the next step. It's very clear that the sound is not supposed to be there after driving a 5-series loaner, should be some difference of course but not this radical. Also, now BMW can't say it's a "cosmetic" problem, since they've agreed to try and fix it with a anti-resonance kit. Would be very weird if they in step 2 said that it doesn't make a big enough difference to fix it, when they've already tried with anti resonance parts.

What do you think about this? Should I continue to update? Anyone else in the same process?
The same resonance fittings they have installed on all the problematic cars, including mine. They won't make any real difference, so don't get too excited.

My dealership has completely let me and other customers down. They are pretending the spareparts are making a huge difference, eventhough they are not. And I know, I'm stuck drivning the damn car every day.

Please keep updating on your situation. It's very much appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:13 PM   #340
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

are the resonance fittings the same ones attached to the front struts on vehicles equipped with runflats?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:34 PM   #341
berghagen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausmoll View Post
The same resonance fittings they have installed on all the problematic cars, including mine. They won't make any real difference, so don't get too excited.

My dealership has completely let me and other customers down. They are pretending the spareparts are making a huge difference, eventhough they are not. And I know, I'm stuck drivning the damn car every day.

Please keep updating on your situation. It's very much appreciated. Thanks.
I see, thanks for the info! I will keep this in mind, wish I could help you in more ways. I'm well educated in law. Will continue, and apply pressure if needed. But so far - so good! Im actually impressed by their speed and knowledge so far. But the results matter most of course.
I bought this car privately as well so, Sweden has a pretty clear - easy to follow "law of purchases". All rights are in my favor.
I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 3
      07-07-2020, 03:56 AM   #342
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
From 5km/h.... that begs a few more questions. What can generate the sound from such a low road speed? Is it vibration or grinding?

If from rotating parts, we have to wonder if it is in some way engine bay generated, as that is where parts are getting more rpm and potential vibration frequencies, at such low road speeds.

I wonder if the sound is the same "on and off" the throttle, at low road speeds.

So strange, if can be at a very low speed, on the other hand, known to change intensity with road surface at higher speeds. Puzzling, to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 05:47 PM   #343
berghagen
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
From 5km/h.... that begs a few more questions. What can generate the sound from such a low road speed? Is it vibration or grinding?

If from rotating parts, we have to wonder if it is in some way engine bay generated, as that is where parts are getting more rpm and potential vibration frequencies, at such low road speeds.

I wonder if the sound is the same "on and off" the throttle, at low road speeds.

So strange, if can be at a very low speed, on the other hand, known to change intensity with road surface at higher speeds. Puzzling, to say the least.
Indeed... Throttle doesn't impact the sound for me. I believe it's from vibrations from the bearings or the breaks which travel way too easily to the inside of the car, creating the amplified resonance sound of small vibrations. I can sometimes hear it from 10km/h depending on the surface underneath, and almost disappears completely, on asphalt that was made like the day before, in 90-100km/h.

Indicates that the vibrations are "created" close to both the tires and the chassi. They wrote in their files while ordering parts that it "sounds like the bearings" as well. My guess is that BMW knows the answers by now and how to fix them, just waiting to see how bad it really is - how much it affects their sales. If someone works in media, please write about this haha

Those are my thoughts.
Appreciate 3
Hornet59.00
greekcs773.00
      07-08-2020, 01:37 AM   #344
Hornet
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: g20 330d xdrive

Quote:
..Those are my thoughts.
Yeah mine too.

One thing to remember: my car was pleasantly silent (normal) for the first 4000km, after that something clearly broke down or wore out. So adding some sound dampening parts doesn't make sense to me. They should figure out the faulty parts and replace them.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:05 AM   #345
DConceicao
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet View Post
Yeah mine too.

One thing to remember: my car was pleasantly silent (normal) for the first 4000km, after that something clearly broke down or wore out. So adding some sound dampening parts doesn't make sense to me. They should figure out the faulty parts and replace them.
That is one of my biggest concerns. Currently I don't really think that I have any noise, however I'm currently with only 1.600km on the car thus it might also be something that will start doing one day.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:22 AM   #346
pmgoliv
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i touring g21

Today I went for a drive with the product genius in my dealership to check for this (among other small issues).

He acknowledged the noise and did not confused it as rolling noise from tires. I mentioned this discussion here and the fact that other dealerships in other countries have already tried different tire sets with no solution.

In my case the noise appears to come from the rear and it appears to be caused by the wind flowing through something and creating the vibration. The guy had the same opinion. A wind flow in the rear would be compatible with the fact that the sedan is apparently not affected by this (as the rear end of both are very different).
Being present only in the M-pack, it could be related to the bumper and related underneath covers.

I have appointment in the repair shop in a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 07:35 AM   #347
clausmoll
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgoliv View Post
Today I went for a drive with the product genius in my dealership to check for this (among other small issues).

He acknowledged the noise and did not confused it as rolling noise from tires. I mentioned this discussion here and the fact that other dealerships in other countries have already tried different tire sets with no solution.

In my case the noise appears to come from the rear and it appears to be caused by the wind flowing through something and creating the vibration. The guy had the same opinion. A wind flow in the rear would be compatible with the fact that the sedan is apparently not affected by this (as the rear end of both are very different).
Being present only in the M-pack, it could be related to the bumper and related underneath covers.

I have appointment in the repair shop in a couple of weeks.
Appreciate it. Thanks for the update. Please keep posting your findings.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 06:35 AM   #348
Froggypimp
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d Touring

Update on my 330d Touring M-sport:

Last week I got my car back from the main dealer in Copenhagen. They told me that the vibration reduction parts had been fitted to my car, and the noise was gone.
I had my doubts, and sure enough the noise was still there, and in my opinion the noise was as loud as the first day I got the car. I went back to the dealer where I was told, that this was all they could do for me, and that there wasn't going to come any other solution from BMW Germany.

I then contacted my leasing company and one of technicians from the leasing company went with me for a test drive in my car. The technician agreed with me in that my car had a noise coming from either the tires or the suspension/chassis. The technician would like to make a comparison, so he made an appointment with the main dealer to try another 330d Touring with M-sport.

Today a chief executive from the main dealer came to the the leasing company and we made the comparison. Unfortunately the car that the chief executive brought to the comparison was just as loud as mine (big surprise!!).
The chief executive told me that there was nothing wrong with the cars and that they were supposed to sound like this. The same chief executive that 3 months ago told me that BMW worked frantically on solving the problem!!

I'm afraid that we all eventually will get the same message from BMW, because if BMW acknowledges the problem on one car they will have to take back all the other cars.

I don't know what to do next, but I won't give up. If any of you guys have a good suggestion please let us know, but I think it is important that we stick together and keep applying pressure on BMW to come up with a solution.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2020, 01:49 AM   #349
Wmb5m
Rep
Drives: Bmw 520d xdrive Touring -20

It’s very sad that BMW doesn’t solved this for you, but I’m not so surprised. BMW do as they always do, first admit there is a problem and try to solve it and when they can’t, they deny that there is a problem. So stupid, because they wouldn’t spend all this time if it was no problem and all this is documented in the history at BMW. I don’t know about how it works in Denmark but in Sweden we have laws that protect the buyers. The dealers got to have a fair chance to repair, but If they can’t they need to offer a similar product or give the money back. I manage to do this a couple a months ago and got a G31 instead (similar price level - lower equipped). Don’t give up! Talk to some lawyers or consumer guiders.
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #350
donaldduck
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i M-sport Touring

Legal action

I have the same problem, also with the biggest dealer in Copenhagen. They acknowledged the problem already in February - and I have been offered one of their "rental cars" since, as I refused to drive more in the 330.

I suggest we (in Denmark) involve a lawyer as it is very simple indeed.

BMW have now tried for several months to solve the problem without succes. The danish customers are well protected by "Købeloven" - and we could all demand the leasing contract to be cancelled and the one-time-payment to be returned.

I suggest we involve FDM as they have good lawyers with knowledge about cars/contracts and in addition we could get their journalists to take up the issue as it seems to be a general problem for the new BMW 3 M-sport series.

Furthermore we might involve all motor journalists to put som pressure on BMW.

It is simply NOT acceptable behaviour from BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggypimp View Post
Update on my 330d Touring M-sport:

Last week I got my car back from the main dealer in Copenhagen. They told me that the vibration reduction parts had been fitted to my car, and the noise was gone.
I had my doubts, and sure enough the noise was still there, and in my opinion the noise was as loud as the first day I got the car. I went back to the dealer where I was told, that this was all they could do for me, and that there wasn't going to come any other solution from BMW Germany.

I then contacted my leasing company and one of technicians from the leasing company went with me for a test drive in my car. The technician agreed with me in that my car had a noise coming from either the tires or the suspension/chassis. The technician would like to make a comparison, so he made an appointment with the main dealer to try another 330d Touring with M-sport.

Today a chief executive from the main dealer came to the the leasing company and we made the comparison. Unfortunately the car that the chief executive brought to the comparison was just as loud as mine (big surprise!!).
The chief executive told me that there was nothing wrong with the cars and that they were supposed to sound like this. The same chief executive that 3 months ago told me that BMW worked frantically on solving the problem!!

I'm afraid that we all eventually will get the same message from BMW, because if BMW acknowledges the problem on one car they will have to take back all the other cars.

I don't know what to do next, but I won't give up. If any of you guys have a good suggestion please let us know, but I think it is important that we stick together and keep applying pressure on BMW to come up with a solution.
Appreciate 3
XXXX19.50
Wmb5m16.50
      07-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #351
Froggypimp
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d Touring

donalduck I have sent you a PM

I totally agree with you- this is not acceptable and I will not give up without a fight.
I had the same thoughts about perhaps getting FDM involved.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 12:55 PM   #352
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

I don't like where this thread is going.. don't give up guys, I'm still waiting to hear from my dealer (chief technician acknowledged the problem and was really helpful, first step was of course to contact BMW) and I am determined to push for the solution.

Despite this annoying noise I absolutely love the car and honestly I don't see any alternative for me (within the same budget).
Appreciate 0