Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications NEW RELEASE: Dinan BMW G20 M340i Axle Back Exhaust Systems

05-16-2022, 10:48 AM   #595
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bese60 View Post
anyone ever get their exhaust to begin with lol
Yikes. Guess it's a moot question as people can't fix something they don't have

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 2
bese60231.50
      06-13-2022, 08:30 PM   #596
Nai1ZuTe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

What could cause a loose exhaust tip? One of my tips on the passenger side keeps getting loose and will slide forward/backward tho it will not come off entirely. I had my shop tighten it up once but it's like this again in a week.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 08:48 PM   #597
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nai1ZuTe View Post
What could cause a loose exhaust tip? One of my tips on the passenger side keeps getting loose and will slide forward/backward tho it will not come off entirely. I had my shop tighten it up once but it's like this again in a week.
Mine did the same thing. Call up Dinan technical support and they'll ask for a video first. But, they'll overnight some replacement clamps over to you.

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2022, 08:52 PM   #598
PDX530e
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4sh_90 View Post
Quote:
Mine did the same thing. Call up Dinan technical support and they'll ask for a video first. But, they'll overnight some replacement clamps over to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4sh_90 View Post
Quote:
Same thing happened to me, might have been an over torqued bolt? Dinan also overnighted new clamps
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 07:10 AM   #599
bese60
Lieutenant
Rep

Saw someone on facebook still hasnt received their exhaust from a black friday order.... 8 months. Wild
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 07:30 AM   #600
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Saw someone on facebook still hasnt received their exhaust from a black friday order.... 8 months. Wild
Not this SKU. Oldest outstanding order currently in the system for this exhaust is from end of March this year. The only exhausts that go back that far that I am aware of now are the E92 M3 exhaust (although it appears it is only 1 order and the rest are March or newer as well) and the F90 M5 X-pipe which has had its fair share of production issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 08:01 AM   #601
bese60
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Not this SKU. Oldest outstanding order currently in the system for this exhaust is from end of March this year. The only exhausts that go back that far that I am aware of now are the E92 M3 exhaust (although it appears it is only 1 order and the rest are March or newer as well) and the F90 M5 X-pipe which has had its fair share of production issues.
Check BMW M340i Owners on Facebook. 20 hours ago a fella named Devin posted about it... said waiting from November
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 08:25 AM   #602
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Check BMW M340i Owners on Facebook. 20 hours ago a fella named Devin posted about it... said waiting from November
I stand corrected. Oldest order is from February. Notes had it buried a bit further down in the system. Was originally placed in November but was cancelled in January per customer request and then "un-cancelled" (re-ordered), due to a change of heart I assume, in February.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 07:06 PM   #603
illustrical
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
I stand corrected. Oldest order is from February. Notes had it buried a bit further down in the system. Was originally placed in November but was cancelled in January per customer request and then "un-cancelled" (re-ordered), due to a change of heart I assume, in February.
What’s the current eta if I were to order today?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 06:43 AM   #604
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by illustrical View Post
What’s the current eta if I were to order today?
End of July would be the current estimate on a new order.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 08:04 AM   #605
FellowM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340

Just got my exhaust installed.

Dealt with Levi, and John, over at Dinan, and I think the guys have been top notch.

System came in and the box was damaged, but all of the parts were well packaged and protected and nothing had any damage.

The system itself was top notch, and quality of the system is very very high.

Sound of this thing is amazing. Perfect deep and aggressive tone. Pops sounds loud, but my favorite thing is how the crackling sounds in the car.

Couldnt be happier with this exhaust.
Appreciate 1
k4sh_90539.00
      07-05-2022, 08:59 AM   #606
illustrical
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowM3 View Post
Just got my exhaust installed.

Dealt with Levi, and John, over at Dinan, and I think the guys have been top notch.

System came in and the box was damaged, but all of the parts were well packaged and protected and nothing had any damage.

The system itself was top notch, and quality of the system is very very high.

Sound of this thing is amazing. Perfect deep and aggressive tone. Pops sounds loud, but my favorite thing is how the crackling sounds in the car.

Couldnt be happier with this exhaust.
How long did you had to wait?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 11:36 AM   #607
FellowM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by illustrical View Post
How long did you had to wait?
3.5 months
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 03:50 PM   #608
Zarrasis
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 G80 6MT,16 528i,23 Etron-gt

Hey I placed an order on 7/7/22, expected ship date was 7/18/22. My order status is still processing, I see the new expected ship date on the page says 8/25/22. Anyone know if it's likely to ship with the original date I ordered with, or the new date?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2022, 08:48 PM   #609
Zarrasis
Private
Rep
Drives: 24 G80 6MT,16 528i,23 Etron-gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarrasis View Post
Hey I placed an order on 7/7/22, expected ship date was 7/18/22. My order status is still processing, I see the new expected ship date on the page says 8/25/22. Anyone know if it's likely to ship with the original date I ordered with, or the new date?
In case anyone was curious the answer to this is that the dates will slip on you. My order is still in processing expected end of August now. Mostly probably already aware of this based on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2022, 10:51 AM   #610
BayM340i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Little long term update. I've had my Dinan exhaust on since May 2020 at 7k miles, at 38k now. I had a catless downpipe for most of that time, but the stock cats are back in now.

I started to get the rattle sound at idle shortly after putting the cats back in. Maybe more restricted flow creates more vibration? Anyway, I emailed Dinan about it and the revised valve stop kit is already on the way within a couple days, no questions asked. Just incredible how well they handle these kind of mistakes, thank you!

Haven't had any other issues. The tone and difference the valves make is great. I do miss being catless though..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 07:03 AM   #611
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just got my Dinan exhaust installed - but the exhaust tip clamps were too big! Even tightened all the way down, the clamps slide freely on/off the exhaust.

Shop couldn't fit the exhaust tips on, so now I'm driving around without the tips.

Haven't heard anything back yet from the shop or from Dinan. Anyone know the right size clamps needed?

Update: Apparently the shop doing the install (a Dinan authorized BMW dealer) did not know how to install the tips properly.

The exhaust tips have slits cut in them at the end so there are pieces that can bend, and if you push the clamp too far down the tip, it won't bend the pieces. When the clamps are installed at the end of the tips so it just covers the slits, it crimps down the exhaust tips onto the exhaust pipe.

Not sure how the dealer didn't know this, but I was able to do it myself with a crappy 15mm wrench by hand.

Only annoying thing is when the dealer did the install, they didn't measure to make sure both sides of the exhaust were even, so now the passenger side sticks out about 1" further than the driver's side.

The exhaust tips can only be adjusted so much, so instead of the inside exhaust tips being flush with the bumper, they both have to stick out about 1/2" to be even on both sides.

Still can't get over that my friend was able to figure this out from a few pictures I sent him and the dealer, who only has 1 dinan certified tech that does all of their installs couldn't figure this out. I think he may need some retraining.

Last edited by Liquid_Ice; 10-07-2022 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 07:51 AM   #612
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
Just got my Dinan exhaust installed - but the exhaust tip clamps were too big! Even tightened all the way down, the clamps slide freely on/off the exhaust.

Shop couldn't fit the exhaust tips on, so now I'm driving around without the tips.

Haven't heard anything back yet from the shop or from Dinan. Anyone know the right size clamps needed?
They are 3" clamps for the exhaust tips. PM sent.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2022, 07:41 PM   #613
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So after my exhaust tip "issue" - I finally have everything installed!

The dealer who did the install did not make sure the exhaust was even, so the passenger side exhaust sticks out about 1" further than the driver's side and there isn't enough play in the exhaust tips to get the inside exhausts to be even with the rear bumper. Here is a picture showing the issue - the exhaust tips on the passenger side were sticking out 1/2" beyond the rear bumper. Driver's side is the way I want it.

So I had to pull the driver's side tips out 1/2" so they are at least even:

Here's a video of a cold start and some rev's -

Overall happy - sounds great and when I took the car out right after that video the exhaust are popping and burbling a lot in Sport+ mode (awesome!). Reminds me a bit of the F30 340i MPPSK, which I loved the sound of. Was really disappointed with the M340i when I got it because the exhaust was a lot less aggressive than that MPPSK.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 12:35 PM   #614
welikefujika
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
So after my exhaust tip "issue" - I finally have everything installed!

The dealer who did the install did not make sure the exhaust was even, so the passenger side exhaust sticks out about 1" further than the driver's side and there isn't enough play in the exhaust tips to get the inside exhausts to be even with the rear bumper. Here is a picture showing the issue - the exhaust tips on the passenger side were sticking out 1/2" beyond the rear bumper. Driver's side is the way I want it.

So I had to pull the driver's side tips out 1/2" so they are at least even:

Here's a video of a cold start and some rev's -

Overall happy - sounds great and when I took the car out right after that video the exhaust are popping and burbling a lot in Sport+ mode (awesome!). Reminds me a bit of the F30 340i MPPSK, which I loved the sound of. Was really disappointed with the M340i when I got it because the exhaust was a lot less aggressive than that MPPSK.
Is there a lot of droning?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 10:41 AM   #615
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by welikefujika View Post
Is there a lot of droning?
In comfort mode - not really. Actually I just recently coded out ASD aka the fake engine noise in the car and I found that after coding out ASD, the car in comfort mode is actually quieter on highway driving than it was with stock exhaust and ASD on.

I don't really notice the exhaust much at all unless I'm in Sport mode. It is certainly louder, and when the engine restarts from ASS, you definitely can hear it, but otherwise it is pretty tame until you want it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 01:58 AM   #616
dustwhyn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In comfort mode - not really. Actually I just recently coded out ASD aka the fake engine noise in the car and I found that after coding out ASD, the car in comfort mode is actually quieter on highway driving than it was with stock exhaust and ASD on.

I don't really notice the exhaust much at all unless I'm in Sport mode. It is certainly louder, and when the engine restarts from ASS, you definitely can hear it, but otherwise it is pretty tame until you want it.
The “drone” that everyone seems to report is what’s got me on the fence about the Dinan, but I also feel like a lot of people may just be hypersensitive and are not used to aftermarket exhausts. I’m also catless and I’ve heard some people say the valves don’t make enough of a difference.
Appreciate 0