Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Undisclosed substantial repair work

03-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #23
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320D 2019, current M340i

Good news folks, the head of business has agreed in writing (email) to refund me in full, once business is back to normal. He is only asking that I use the car as little as possible. He understands that me being a key worker during the lockdown I will require use of the car, however where possible I will use my wife's car.

He put all of this in writing on my word only, he has seen no pictures of the repairs or faults and on me offering to supply them he never took on the offer.

That pretty much tells me that he knows that the damage was there when it was sold to me.

Regardless, I'm happy I got it in writing.

Thanks for all your advice and once things gets back to normal I'll post how things went.
Appreciate 1
Seaford1124.00
      03-29-2020, 02:37 PM   #24
blau3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1985 View Post
Good news folks, the head of business has agreed in writing (email) to refund me in full, once business is back to normal. He is only asking that I use the car as little as possible. He understands that me being a key worker during the lockdown I will require use of the car, however where possible I will use my wife's car.

He put all of this in writing on my word only, he has seen no pictures of the repairs or faults and on me offering to supply them he never took on the offer.

That pretty much tells me that he knows that the damage was there when it was sold to me.

Thanks for all your advice and once things gets back to normal I'll post how things went.
Great result!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #25
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

But shocking, as you say easy win = guilt.

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #26
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Quote:

Perfect - one thing I would do (belts and braces). Is check that the company registered address is on the email and companies house number (best thing in lieu of a letterheaded paper with text).
And that there is no weird disclaimer text in email footer (maximize the font to check!). As I have some text in my work email to make sure clients do understand my emails are not legally binding. As I often advise in a pre sales capacity not for making engineering design decisions based on my emails. They have to pay for consultancy and they get design engineering (just in case you were wondering!)
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 04:02 PM   #27
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

I've been following this thread (nothing meaningful to add I'm afraid) and it's a great outcome, but...

Presumably they will just pass it on to the next buyer and hope for better luck. Shouldn't this kind of thing be stopped? Especially from a 'reputable' main dealer who charge a premium over Joe's Garage?

I know that you Gary1985 are looking for your money back (as I would do), but is their mileage in escalating this further with BMW, maybe once handed back? If not for potential out of pocket expenses / damages, but for making sure local dealerships don't try to pull this stunt again? I'm sure BMW wouldn't want their brand damaged in this way.

Sounds to me like the whole episode was a sham on their part and they are grateful you aren't taking it further...

<rant>I'm done now</rant>
      04-01-2020, 05:14 AM   #28
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShereKhan View Post
Perfect - one thing I would do (belts and braces). Is check that the company registered address is on the email and companies house number (best thing in lieu of a letterheaded paper with text).
And that there is no weird disclaimer text in email footer (maximize the font to check!). As I have some text in my work email to make sure clients do understand my emails are not legally binding. As I often advise in a pre sales capacity not for making engineering design decisions based on my emails. They have to pay for consultancy and they get design engineering (just in case you were wondering!)

I have got all of that in the email replies. No small print.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2020, 05:39 AM   #29
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl V View Post
I've been following this thread (nothing meaningful to add I'm afraid) and it's a great outcome, but...

Presumably they will just pass it on to the next buyer and hope for better luck. Shouldn't this kind of thing be stopped? Especially from a 'reputable' main dealer who charge a premium over Joe's Garage?

I know that you Gary1985 are looking for your money back (as I would do), but is their mileage in escalating this further with BMW, maybe once handed back? If not for potential out of pocket expenses / damages, but for making sure local dealerships don't try to pull this stunt again? I'm sure BMW wouldn't want their brand damaged in this way.

Sounds to me like the whole episode was a sham on their part and they are grateful you aren't taking it further...

<rant>I'm done now</rant>
I do hope that they don't sell it on in its current state as that is a deplorable business practice. Any good repair would be of standard where u can't tell if there been a repair. Definitely not mine.

I have already lodged a complaint with bmw head office about the missing repair records and will take it further if needed. The advice bmw have provided is that its up to the individual branches discretion if they want to tell me about repairs.

In total I have noted 25 points of signs of repairs, paint respray, masking tape, damage, misalignment of boot, overspray, different bolts and bolts missing etc.
For a car to be sold in that condition is deplorable, especially one of such low mileage. I'm sure if it's required, that bmw head office will be interested in hearing about the negative impact it could have on their brand name.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #30
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi folks, a final update. The car has been returned to the dealer and full refund issued.
I have since purchased another one elsewhere and got it to the spec I wanted.
Appreciate 5
del82102.00
blaz21.50
Jim_330e144.00
      07-22-2020, 03:16 AM   #31
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

Quote:
Hi folks, a final update. The car has been returned to the dealer and full refund issued.
I have since purchased another one elsewhere and got it to the spec I wanted.
Good news at last. Did the original dealer offer to help locate a replacement?
      07-22-2020, 03:45 AM   #32
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

Only just reading all this now. Wow.......

You made imo the absolute 100% correct choice, reject! I would never have been satisfied with something that clearly appears to have been repaired, you don’t pay all that money for that. If you were offered a bargain buy like £20k then different story.

Glad you got another! Well done.....

Which poor buyer will be next in line eh!? Might even show up on here, that would be ironic!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 04:18 AM   #33
Jim_330e
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M Sport

That's absolutely shocking.

Did you post up the reg - might be worth doing so in case someone else ends up being sold that dog.

Gone: '18 Golf GTI Performance DSG in Tungsten
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #34
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaz View Post
Good news at last. Did the original dealer offer to help locate a replacement?
They did but I found a replacement elsewhere before they found one
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #35
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_330e View Post
That's absolutely shocking.

Did you post up the reg - might be worth doing so in case someone else ends up being sold that dog.
No I didn't and I haven't seen the car for sale online. It was returned over a month ago.
Appreciate 0