Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW Design Chief: BMW Electric Vehicles Will Have Separated Kidney Grilles

12-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #45
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

I will clear up any confusion.
The one piece "Bow Tie" or Kia Grille if you prefer will be replaced by the two split Kidney Grille. The size remains the same.

This does NOT affect either THE 4,M3 or M4. Only the i4.
      12-17-2019, 04:42 PM   #46
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Let's be honest, separating the two kidney's won't take away from the fact that they will likely be big and ugly still.
Agreed ‼️
      12-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #47
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Here's to hoping BMW does not screw up the 2nd Generation M2 in the same way.

I am not a betting man, but I am extremely hopeful.

12-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #48
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Wtf is this ugly shit! Get it off my screen!!!!!
Appreciate 1
IB M2765.50
      12-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #49
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Once people on this forum realize that no one (especially BMW) cares what you think about design language, I reckon life will become easier and less agitating for everyone involved.

If you can't bring anything of value to the discussion, why spend the time and energy? Do you actually think members of BMW's board are sitting in Munich in front of a projector screen of this forum and saying, "Oh no, Steve73M5 says the grilles are too large! We must scrap the current tooling and dies and start from scratch!"

Get over yourselves. Design interpretation is inherently highly subjective. The really beautiful part is that if you dislike the design so much, you are free to buy something else! Simple as that. But to see hundreds of negative comments day after day is pretty sad and demoralizing.
The utter irony of complaining about people complaining about the ugly grilles in a thread about BMW admitting that they listened to that feedback and are working to make the future grilles less ugly!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 07:09 PM   #50
sheepboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
The utter irony of complaining about people complaining about the ugly grilles in a thread about BMW admitting that they listened to that feedback and are working to make the future grilles less ugly!
That is the perfect motto for the current BMW design team:

BMW: working to make our future cars less ugly!

Lets just face it. When it comes to electric cars, BMW is just completely lost. Instead of worrying about unnecessary grilles, they should be working on coming up with something that could rival Tesla in price, efficiency, range and performance. Porsche just found out the hard way that this is a lot harder than they thought it would be...

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #51
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Once people on this forum realize that no one (especially BMW) cares what you think about design language, I reckon life will become easier and less agitating for everyone involved.

If you can't bring anything of value to the discussion, why spend the time and energy? Do you actually think members of BMW's board are sitting in Munich in front of a projector screen of this forum and saying, "Oh no, Steve73M5 says the grilles are too large! We must scrap the current tooling and dies and start from scratch!"

Get over yourselves. Design interpretation is inherently highly subjective. The really beautiful part is that if you dislike the design so much, you are free to buy something else! Simple as that. But to see hundreds of negative comments day after day is pretty sad and demoralizing.
In a way, I found your comment no different than others.

And, this is a big forum, I -would like to- believe that BMW is looking on this platform, even with the corner of the eye, to get some input. In the end, it is a forum of enthusiasts, or in other words the ones who care. The ones that don't care are not in here.

I do agree with you, however, you are just reinforcing the momentum, there are indeed hundreds that are not happy with those grills (count me in). There is no smoke without fire, and when hundreds tell you that something is wrong, then you need a serious introspection.

Yeah, many complaints, but I see that as a good thing because criticism is a very good tool for evolution. Other companies pay for the perception of a product survey, here, they get it for free. You must be really dumb to not take into consideration what people are saying.
Appreciate 1
CWads6937.50
      12-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #52
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Buck-Rogers...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 07:30 PM   #53
BMWSource
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E90 330Xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Mercedes is going that route too. Seems
to me a lot of folks here will have to either stick with their current rides longer or start buying old/vintage BMWs...
Very true, I'm hanging on to my 2006 E90 330Xi. Gosh I hate the new kidney grille thing!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #54
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
That's not exactly what he said.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #55
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Here's to hoping BMW does not screw up the 2nd Generation M2 in the same way.

I am not a betting man, but I am extremely hopeful.

Scott already said he's seen the upcoming 2er and it does have the same style grilles as the upcoming M3/4. But IIRC he said they aren't as big proportionally.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24818.50
      12-17-2019, 08:13 PM   #56
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
Scott already said he's seen the upcoming 2er and it does have the same style grilles as the upcoming M3/4. But IIRC he said they aren't as big proportionally.
I remember something like that.

Hopefully the upcoming M2 Grill(s) will actually stay reasonably proportionate.
Attached Images

12-17-2019, 09:09 PM   #57
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Nevermind the grills, how about BMW and the design chief have a separation?
Appreciate 3
kyleb350422.00
J-RO2078.00
CWads6937.50
      12-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #58
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
Nevermind the grills, how about BMW and the design chief have a separation?
Thank God BMW is actually listening to their loyal fan base.

Adrian van Hooydonk design director at BMW Group retires in 5 years.

It's not Adrian, but BMW's board of directors that choose final design selections.
      12-18-2019, 12:38 AM   #59
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Separate but equally ugly.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      12-18-2019, 01:18 AM   #60
CWads69
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9820 M2 Competition

Quote:

Don't agree at all with your premise... as owners , as enthusiasts, we should, and do have a say, and while no one negative comment will do much of anything, my money is on the idea that Munich is very much interested in consumer opinion, they'd be remiss if they weren't. Certainly to some, there are more important subjects to be concerned about, and take up space in these forums. But that said, there is perhaps nothing as iconic, as wedded to the brand, as the kidney grills. To you perhaps the large grills are fine, even great, to others like me, they represent an aesthetic, a line being crossed which IS a dealbreaker. If you were BMW brass, wouldn't you want to know if your design cues so turned off current owners, that they would consider an Audi, AMG or Porsche? I think it's perhaps naive to think otherwise... just my humble opinion. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 02:45 AM   #61
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Don’t worry, us i3 owners have been suffering from the uglies since day 1
Lmao. Good one. Lol
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 04:50 AM   #62
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

If we didn't buy the vehicles with those hideous grille's then they'd listen.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2019, 05:00 AM   #63
AKSteve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition Convertible

It's like they're purposely trying to destroy one of the key design elements of their cars for no good reason. I know that there have been some old BMW's from the 1930's with big kidney grilles and a few models here and there with oddball kidney grill designs. But now BMW is about to have an entire fleet of ugly cars with ridiculous looking, out-of-proportion kidney grilles.
Appreciate 2
      12-18-2019, 08:29 AM   #64
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hish View Post
I dont suppose you need to question claim, just check sales numbers. BMW is currently growing faster than before, so there would be more of "brave" designs. Such as polarizing design for new 4-series front end.
For one, I agree with statement that you cannot please everyone. For example, even though design for 8GC is generally considered one of the best in recent years, there are plenty of people who consider it butt ugly...
But compare the 8 series grill with the new 4 series grill. The 8 is reasonable and the 4 is incredibly ugly. I guess BMW figures that if you "only" pay $70K for a car, you deserve ugly but if you pay $140K for a car you deserve something more tasteful.

BTW...just because sales have been increasing slightly doesn't mean it is because of the grills; it could be despite them. One of the most basic logical fallacies is "post hoc ergo propter hoc" (after this therefore on account of this).

But. ultimately, we as buyers have the ultimate choice and if that means that some of us migrate to MB or some other mark, so be it.
Appreciate 1
CWads6937.50
      12-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #65
Vucko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 630i E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbryce View Post
But they're going to leave the hideous grille on the 4er and m3???
yes, and this is not about changing grill completely, just its not going to be exaclty like on concept as they wanted, but have "normal" grill just.like any other new bmw,like x5 x7 etc... so it will be still one piece of big vertical gril that has "two holes" for left and right "grill" separated by chrome piece, as i sad,just like x5 x7 and if you want, just like 4er, m4 m3... except they are going to be plastic inside like i3 and i8 instead of lines and mashes
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 09:15 PM   #66
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
The i4 version of his looks decent in concept form, actually better than what I have seen from the 4/M4. Probably will look worse outside of concept form and especially if complimented by poor wheel options, ie tesla aero wheels.
Appreciate 0