Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK ID7 Instrument Cluster - Cleaning

05-25-2022, 05:29 AM   #1
Drew474
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i xdrive

ID7 Instrument Cluster - Cleaning

Does anyone know the best way to clean the instrument cluster screen? Everything I try, I just can’t get a clear clean…..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 05:38 AM   #2
stuarttunstall
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I just use the cleaning cloth that came with my glasses

I have noticed that when the sun is on the centre screen it it does look marked but I think this is the touch screen..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 06:52 AM   #3
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
I use a camera lens cloth to get the bits and then a small bit of AG's fast glass on a microfibre.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 07:29 AM   #4
johnboysafc
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Xdrive

Garage List
Gyeon Interior Detailer and 2 x good microfibre clothes
Good amount onto first cloth, buff off with 2nd, swear by Gyeon products
themnmd1691.00
      05-25-2022, 08:54 AM   #5
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Not a problem for people who had the touchscreen deleted!
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      05-25-2022, 10:13 AM   #6
fuzzmondo
powered by electrons
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3 M Sport Pro

A microfibre cloth (clean and dry) I find works best. Be warned that cleaning products and even water can leave a dappled residue on the instrument cluster screen (speedo etc) which is quite visible in sunlight. But cleaning with the microfibre cloth seems to get rid of this after time. Also, some alcohol based lens wipes (for spectacles) works quite well if you have actual dirt on there, then microfibre cloth afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 04:06 PM   #7
Drew474
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzmondo View Post
A microfibre cloth (clean and dry) I find works best. Be warned that cleaning products and even water can leave a dappled residue on the instrument cluster screen (speedo etc) which is quite visible in sunlight. But cleaning with the microfibre cloth seems to get rid of this after time. Also, some alcohol based lens wipes (for spectacles) works quite well if you have actual dirt on there, then microfibre cloth afterwards.
Yeh the main iDrive screen is fine. It’s the instrument cluster that’s the issue for me too. Cannot get it cleaned?!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 06:42 AM   #8
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Deionised water and a microfiber. Wet one small section of the cloth, wipe and then dry woth a dry part of the cloth. Perfect. I clean the instruments and trim in this manner and usually the dash too. No residue and unless seriously dirty it does a good job of removing dust and light soiling.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 12:48 PM   #9
Drew474
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranniux View Post
Deionised water and a microfiber. Wet one small section of the cloth, wipe and then dry woth a dry part of the cloth. Perfect. I clean the instruments and trim in this manner and usually the dash too. No residue and unless seriously dirty it does a good job of removing dust and light soiling.
Good stuff, will give this a try!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 12:56 PM   #10
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
I used deironised water to rinse the car via a Vyair vessel, so I don't have to dry it (contactless dry) and it is streak free. I never thought about using it on my screens, but that would dry streak free too. Good idea.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 01:22 PM   #11
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
I used deironised water to rinse the car via a Vyair vessel, so I don't have to dry it (contactless dry) and it is streak free. I never thought about using it on my screens, but that would dry streak free too. Good idea.
Wouldn't recommend hosing it down

I buy 5l containers of DI water to fill my washer bottle and also dilute other detailing fluids so I use that in a small spray bottle rather than from my di vessel but yes in principle, so long as the resin is fresh it should be fine. I tend to let my vessel get to around 10ppm before changing the resin which is fine for the paintwork assuming I also air blow it off or towel it afterwards bit I wouldnt use 10ppm water and let it dry naturally.

I also carry a 1l bottle of Di water in the car with a spray head incase of bird bombs, best method I have found for bird droppings as I don't even have to touch the car, I just spray it off and leave the drops to air dry. Perfect.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 01:58 PM   #12
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Wouldn't recommend hosing it down

I buy 5l containers of DI water to fill my washer bottle and also dilute other detailing fluids so I use that in a small spray bottle rather than from my di vessel but yes in principle, so long as the resin is fresh it should be fine. I tend to let my vessel get to around 10ppm before changing the resin which is fine for the paintwork assuming I also air blow it off or towel it afterwards bit I wouldnt use 10ppm water and let it dry naturally.

I also carry a 1l bottle of Di water in the car with a spray head incase of bird bombs, best method I have found for bird droppings as I don't even have to touch the car, I just spray it off and leave the drops to air dry. Perfect.
Yes perfect. I change my resin at 10ppm too. Still running at 0ppm at the moment and had this batch over 6 months. I only use it for rinsing, in line with a pressure washer, so get over 12 months out of it in an 11 litre vessel.
Appreciate 0