Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications MPE + VRSF catted dp + exhaust flap mod

03-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #23
JoCamp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Why dont you wait till Bootmod3 is available?
How long do you suppose we will have to wait? Is mission the only option at this point that is not a piggy back system?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 03:56 PM   #24
M340_pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Why dont you wait till Bootmod3 is available?
I'm in no hurry. Any estimate on the release?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 04:33 PM   #25
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawker View Post
I'm in no hurry. Any estimate on the release?
They do not give estimate so they do not have to rush the release. They like to take their time, figure out any software bugs and release the best possible map once ready

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #26
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawker View Post
https://vimeo.com/399746515

here is the cold start up link too
Hey Sea,

Can you please describe the difference in sound after installing the catted DP given you have MPE as well?

Is it still civil in comfort mode?

In Sport+ does it sound deeper, louder, raspier... etc?

Do you hear more gun shots now or how does it change the burbles?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 06:03 PM   #27
M340_pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTanks52 View Post
Hey Sea,

Can you please describe the difference in sound after installing the catted DP given you have MPE as well?

lemme get back to you tomorrow after another drive to work so I can try to give more specifics. given that I've disconnected my exhaust flap there isn't as big a difference in my driving modes as before.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #28
M340_pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

so awesome news today...my CEL went out!

I'm thinking one of two things happened:

1. maybe the DME adapted to the VRSF dp and the catted version actually works well enough, or

2. the O2 extender/anti-fouler I made for the rear O2 worked. I installed it this Tuesday. No change to the CEL on my 60 mile round trip drive to work Wednesday. Didn't drive on Thursday. Today...2 miles into leaving I noticed the light was out and was still out upon returning home this afternoon. Either way, I'm not complaining.

Attached Images

Last edited by M340_pilot; 03-27-2020 at 08:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 06:34 PM   #29
M340_pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey Sea,

so with the exhaust flap plugged in: comfort and eco are still pretty tame...a little deeper sounding, a little more burbles and pops/gun shots and you can actually hear a slight whir of the turbo spinning up with the windows down.

with the exhaust flap unplugged: comfort and eco sound great for daily driving, same amount of burbles and gun shots as when the flap is closed but it's a little louder and deeper but IMO not too loud where you can't still enjoy the exhaust note or the radio if you so choose.

sport and sport+ is where it comes alive and everything is amplified. it sounds amazing.

my only complaint is the cold start up. just sounds obnoxious to me. maybe I'm just being hyper sensitive because I leave for work at 0530 and every time I open the garage and fire it up I'm wondering if the neighbors are pissed.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #30
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M340_pilot View Post
Quote:
Hey Sea,

so with the exhaust flap plugged in: comfort and eco are still pretty tame...a little deeper sounding, a little more burbles and pops/gun shots and you can actually hear a slight whir of the turbo spinning up with the windows down.

with the exhaust flap unplugged: comfort and eco sound great for daily driving, same amount of burbles and gun shots as when the flap is closed but it's a little louder and deeper but IMO not too loud where you can't still enjoy the exhaust note or the radio if you so choose.

sport and sport+ is where it comes alive and everything is amplified. it sounds amazing.

my only complaint is the cold start up. just sounds obnoxious to me. maybe I'm just being hyper sensitive because I leave for work at 0530 and every time I open the garage and fire it up I'm wondering if the neighbors are pissed.
That's a good problem to have if ya ask me
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:25 AM   #31
Denys_BMW
Private
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denys_BMW View Post
With catless DownPipe at low revs a ringing may occur (resonance from the exhaust). I would like to know from the author. With this combination DownPipe 200Cell + MPE Muffler, is there any resonance?
no resonance or drone. if this combo didn't throw a CEL it would be the perfect setup IMO. we don't have emission here so I can't speak to that.

The only thing I don't like is the cold start. Def getting that deleted with a tune.

Thank you very much! I have an European exhaust system with GPF but in future i want to buy MPE muffler from USA model + MidPipe from USA model and tune DownPipe 200Cell for USA model. In my opinion, this is the best exhaust solution for this car. The maximum OEM parts, pleasant sound, no ringing, no nasty smell.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 06:11 PM   #32
raj914
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Quote:
If your car is flash tuned, it will take care of the CEL. If your car is stock or uses a piggyback then Active Autowerke downpipe is certainly worth it.

I can vouch for it as we have many customers using it without a single issue reported
I've been planning to get a tune...just wanted to wait a few more months/miles before doing it. Now I'm trying to figure out if I go with mission performance or someone local in Tampa/Orlando. Mailing my ECU to California isn't really doable unless I take some time off work.
Were you able to find a shop in Tampa that does the ECU tuning? Or at the minimum, able to unlock the DME so I can self tune? I haven't done any mods yet because of no tune in sight since I'm not going to mail my ECU across the nation to Alex at MP.

Also, if you could help me I want to do the exhaust flap mod so it's always in open. Through bimmercode, I have it set as sport plus start up and stay in sport plus always. But, on my rides to Tampa and back to Savannah, I put it in eco pro because I can get 35mpg and ride there on 1 tank of gas there and 1 back. I've gotten close to 500 miles a tank before! But it sure would be nice to be able to hear the exhaust in eco pro. I do have it coded though bimmercode so I can edit engine sound in the BMW iDrive and have it set on sporty, but it still closes the flaps on eco pro. On comfort, it stays open.

I visit Tampa/St. Pete area at least once a month from Savannah, GA area for at least 4-5 days minimum at a time. Maybe we can go cruising. PM me, my next visit is the last week of this month.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:32 PM   #33
M340_pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sounds good. The exhaust flap mod will only take 2-3 mins to unplug, cover the end of the connector and zip tie it up. I'm about to hit 8k miles now and no issues.

Haven't tuned it yet. Even though I did my own oil change early on, I decided to wait until after my first dealer scheduled oil change visit to commit to a tune. Also I was hoping someone would break the code so I don't have mail my DME to MP. I work everyday and some weekends so I'd have to take vacation or rent a car while Alex had my DME. I've just been changing out the cerium gray pieces with gloss black and patiently waiting.
      09-04-2020, 10:26 PM   #34
raj914
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Sounds good. The exhaust flap mod will only take 2-3 mins to unplug, cover the end of the connector and zip tie it up. I'm about to hit 8k miles now and no issues.

Haven't tuned it yet. Even though I did my own oil change early on, I decided to wait until after my first dealer scheduled oil change visit to commit to a tune. Also I was hoping someone would break the code so I don't have mail my DME to MP. I work everyday and some weekends so I'd have to take vacation or rent a car while Alex had my DME. I've just been changing out the cerium gray pieces with gloss black and patiently waiting.
Can you post a pic of what it looks like and what you covered it with if it's not too much trouble? And should I have it in open when I unplug or closed?

Same yeah. I work practically everyday so I need the car especially when traveling to your area and back. So no way I can mail my DME to Alex.

I'm wanting to start getting all the gloss black pieces. Have you been buying the eBay ones, aftermarkets, or the actual BMW parts? I wish BMW sold the shadow line kit they're offering on the 21s. Mirror caps, bumper trim, front inlets, grille. The only problem is my whole car is ceramic coated, so I'd have to get these parts ceramic coated as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #35
M340_pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just used electrical tape and zip tied the connector up away from the valve/exhaust. The valve will be fully open in sport+. Just unplug it while it's running and you are set.

I bought the blacked out version of the factory grill and the lower trim pieces from one of the online BMW parts sellers. The rear diffuser is the Ikon one from Amazon but some have also bought it on eBay. Fit and finish is great. Still shopping replacement mirror covers and maybe a new spoiler. I'm with you on the shadow line kit...it would be perfect.

Hope all this helps.
Attached Images