Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The Sports Lounge Niner Football!!!

12-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #133
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

The loss to the Raiders today effectively ends the season. No way this group wins out. Even if they did, it may not be enough. Hard to believe week one is going to be the highlight of the season.

Bad losses this year will be the defining image of this season.
Bears at home (with a gimpy Marshall and Jeffrey)
Rams at home
Raiders on the road

Those are the games you have to win and they had won them in the past.
All three games featured the same anemic offensive effort and I don't think its coaching and scheme.

The league has adjusted to him and there is only so much the coaches can do to mask his flaws. Kap needs to add a counter to his regular skill sets.

I still like Kaepernick as a starter. I have no idea what is in his complete offseason workout. I will say he needs to spend most of his time in the film room and talking to his coaches and gurus about what he should be seeing. I would also say work more on his touch.

Not really interested in hearing about him getting stronger or how much faster he has gotten.

AND he will need to do it with a new coaching staff. No way Harbaugh survives. Let the coaching search and leaks begin. It's a shame as Harbaugh is a good coach, but this group has run its course.

49ers also need more deep speed. Davis was off this year for any number of reasons (age, injury, or indifference)

I see next year having Boldin, Johnson, and Ellington at WR. Every other spot is up for grabs. Gore is probably gone and Davis will be back unless he retires, but there will be no extension. If he holds out, I could see him being traded.

I'm glad Bowman won't play this year and that Willis opted for his toe surgery. No reason for those players to come back this year.

No reason to get to down though. The last three seasons ended by losing to the super bowl champs, the roster is still talented (but not as good as many believed), and I still think we have a winning QB. Wouldn't be surprised if the right hire pushes them back into the playoffs next year.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #134
Efini
Silent Service
Rep
Drives: BMW

big changes coming soon since the season is over. i though kap was gonna work on his throwing but i guess not... vernon davis decided to stop playing despite injury and wants a contract and might be on a new team. there will probably be some coaching changes as well. harbaugh should be the raiders coach, he has the personality. tons of problems in SF!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 07:05 PM   #135
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

it's weird to see the demise of a team for seemingly no reason. Plenty of weapons on offense, albeit, they need a decent qb.

Defense is still decent..

That being said, I look forward to next week when we dismantle and effectively bury you guys beneath 10 feet of mud at CenturyLink.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #136
MR92
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
it's weird to see the demise of a team for seemingly no reason. Plenty of weapons on offense, albeit, they need a decent qb.

That being said, I look forward to next week when we dismantle and effectively bury you guys beneath 10 feet of mud at CenturyLink.
not sure how you can call any defense that gives up 3 td's to Derek Carr decent.. They stay in zone all game and get picked apart EVERY game.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #137
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR92 View Post
not sure how you can call any defense that gives up 3 td's to Derek Carr decent.. They stay in zone all game and get picked apart EVERY game.
Not an accurate statement. Defense has played well most of the year and is the only reason we have seven wins. They are down 3 starting corners and two all pro linebackers. Plus one sulking out of shape former pro bowl outside linebacker.

The problem is purely offensive and mostly at quarterback. As I already posted Kaepernick really needs to improve on his decision making and accuracy. Both can be improved on if dedicated work is done in the offseason. He is not a quick in small space quarterback and takes a bit to accelerate. The defenses have learned when and where he likes to escape. He needs to counter this by learning to move better from within the pocket, read defenses faster, and throw to where the receiver will be and not wait to see that he is open.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #138
MR92
Banned
Canada
Rep

Kap is far from the main problem of this team despite what you and the media say. The o line is shit the defense can't get a stop on third down to save their lives and they came out throwing against the team that's allowed the most run yards all year. Add to the fact the whole team has likely quit on their coach as well. This was a team built around their defense and running the ball but they have no identity this year
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #139
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Easy game to watch next week, because we have no business winning. A loss just gives us a better draft position. Seahawks getting hot at the right time, and starting to look like last years team. Difference between Kaepernick and Wilson is small, but huge. It's the last 5lbs to lose on a diet.

Wilson is much quicker in a small space. My guess is his short shuttle time would be better than Karp, but his 40 time is slower. This lets him dance around behind the line better. Also he is shorter and much harder to get a grasp on. Finally he is more accurate in the pocket.
Not convinced he throws receivers open much and can get flustered against better defenses.
To be fair, I don't watch many Seahawk games.

I just hope the 49er front office has a plan in place. I would be a disgrace if they didn't considering everyone knew just about anything short of a Superbowl appearance meant Harbaugh was gone.

They need the new coaching staff in time to get a hold of Kaepernick and get him pointed in the right direction.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #140
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
They need the new coaching staff in time to get a hold of Kaepernick and get him pointed in the right direction.
That direction would be the exit.

More and more I think that one SB run was a fluke... Kap seems to have been exposed as a mediocre QB.
      12-08-2014, 12:38 AM   #141
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
As already noted, losing to the Raiders (who were 1-11 until today) just proves how much the Niners really suck.

Until now it was the defense that kept the Niners in games and made it possible to win despite the anemic offense. But now that the defense is also decimated with injuries, the defense is no longer available to even do that.

No way the Niners are going to the playoffs this year. Chances are more likely that the Niners will lose their last 3 games vs the Hawks, Chargers and Cards and actually go under .500 to end the season at 7-9 tied w/the Rams who look like they'll also go 7-9 after they play the Redskins, Cards and Hawks.

Heads will definitely roll during the off-season and Harbaugh (despite his prior winning record) is likely to go 1st, because of his poor relationship w/the front office, BUT there are deeper problems w/the team and we may be looking at a repeat of the way things were before the Niners won their 1st SB back in 1981 before it gets better again.

We'll see . . .

After he got his big contract, don't see anyway to unload Kap. The problems w/the Niners offensive line has definitely exposed Kap's weaknesses as a QB, especially now that opposing teams are keeping a spy on him in case he still tries to run. Always thought it was a BAD idea to dump Smith for Kap and this has proven to be the case.

Oh well . . .

Last edited by SSW; 12-08-2014 at 03:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #142
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Kap is far from the main problem of this team despite what you and the media say. The o line is shit the defense can't get a stop on third down to save their lives and they came out throwing against the team that's allowed the most run yards all year. Add to the fact the whole team has likely quit on their coach as well. This was a team built around their defense and running the ball but they have no identity this year
This. Kap is far from the problem, much the same as everyone thought Tony Romo was what's wrong with the Cowboys...they put an offensive line in front of him, finally, and look at his performance now. These losing 9er games are showing the same thing to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #143
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

i wonder how much the niners are regretting paying cap..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #144
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
This. Kap is far from the problem, much the same as everyone thought Tony Romo was what's wrong with the Cowboys...they put an offensive line in front of him, finally, and look at his performance now. These losing 9er games are showing the same thing to me.
Don't think it's the same thing.

When Kap had a solid O-line in front of him and was still able to run because the opposing teams didn't have a read on him yet, he failed to win the SB in 2012 and failed to win the NFC Championship in 2013.

Now that he does not have a solid O-line in front of him, he can't run either because he's been coached NOT to run OR because the opposing teams always have a spy on him to keep him from running. So, he's limited to trying to read defenses and going thru his progressions by pocket passing, like all good NFL QBs can do but which he apparently can't do to save his life.

End result: Kap either overthrows or entirely misses his receivers OR he gets sacked OR he calls time out (or runs out of time) because it take him too long to try to figure things out.

Proof? Just look at the Raiders (or any other recent) game to see what he did/didn't do. I taped but couldn't bear to watch the Raiders game. However, I was listening to it for awhile on radio while driving and the thing that stood out to me during the broadcasters' comments was how they kept saying that Kap seemed to be completely "flustered" -- their word not mine -- as Kap failed over and over again to get the offense moving.

Kap isn't a rookie any more. He's had almost 2 full seasons to prove what he can do and he's done NOTHING!!! All he's proven is that he could blow a SB winning opportunity and failed to prove that he could win from behind in a NFC championship game. Not sure that Smith would have done better BUT he couldn't have done worse.

But the Niners are pretty much stuck w/him because of Harbaugh's bone headed decision to bench Smith for Kap in the last few games of the 2013 season and the Niners' bone-headed decision to pay him a huge contract which he didn't [prove that he deserved.

Oh well . . .

Last edited by SSW; 12-09-2014 at 02:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #145
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

Quote:
Easy game to watch next week, because we have no business winning. A loss just gives us a better draft position. Seahawks getting hot at the right time, and starting to look like last years team. Difference between Kaepernick and Wilson is small, but huge. It's the last 5lbs to lose on a diet.

Wilson is much quicker in a small space. My guess is his short shuttle time would be better than Karp, but his 40 time is slower. This lets him dance around behind the line better. Also he is shorter and much harder to get a grasp on. Finally he is more accurate in the pocket.
Not convinced he throws receivers open much and can get flustered against better defenses.
To be fair, I don't watch many Seahawk games.
I can tell you that Wilson does not get rattled. For example during the Ariz game he was sacked 6 or 7 times..., he'd just pop up again and throw a completion. I've seen him have an off day with his arm but he'll acknowledge it and offset with the run. As an athlete I think Kap has the edge but as a QB there is no comparison, Russell is in a different league.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #146
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW View Post

When Kap had a solid O-line in front of him and was still able to run because the opposing teams didn't have a read on him yet, he failed to win the SB in 2012 and failed to win the NFC Championship in 2013.

Now that he does not have a solid O-line in front of him, he can't run either because he's been coached NOT to run OR because the opposing teams always have a spy on him to keep him from running. So, he's limited to trying to read defenses and going thru his progressions by pocket passing, like all good NFL QBs can do but which he apparently can't do to save his life.

End result: Kap either overthrows or entirely misses his receivers OR he gets sacked OR he calls time out (or runs out of time) because it take him too long to try to figure things out.

Proof? Just look at the Raiders (or any other recent) game to see what he did/didn't do. I taped but couldn't bear to watch the Raiders game. However, I was listening to if for awhile on radio while driving and the thing that stood out to me during the broadcasters' comments was how they kept saying that Kap seemed to be completely "flustered" -- their word not mine -- as Kap failed over and over again to get the offense moving.

Kap isn't a rookie any more. He's had almost 2 full seasons to prove what he can do and he's done NOTHING!!! All he's proven is that he could blow a SB winning opportunity and failed to prove that he could win from behind in a NFC championship game. Not sure that Smith would have done better BUT he couldn't have done worse.

But the Niners are pretty much stuck w/him because of Harbaugh's bone headed decision to bench Smith for Kap in the last few games of the 2013 season and the Niners' bone-headed decision to pay him a huge contract which he didn't deserve.

Oh well . . .
yep, agreed on the final note. Should have stuck with Alex Smith and traded Kap...or trade both. But at that time, the 49ers were so close to a SB, it would have been a disaster to trade both QBs. At that time, I was thinking neither would get the job done, but Alex Smith would be the preferred choice out of the two.

I don't think Kap will be around in SF in 2-3 years
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #147
MR92
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSW View Post

Proof? Just look at the Raiders (or any other recent) game to see what he did/didn't do. I taped but couldn't bear to watch the Raiders game. However, I was listening to if for awhile on radio while driving and the thing that stood out to me during the broadcasters' comments was how they kept saying that Kap seemed to be completely "flustered" -- their word not mine -- as Kap failed over and over again to get the offense moving.

But the Niners are pretty much stuck w/him because of Harbaugh's bone headed decision to bench Smith for Kap in the last few games of the 2013 season and the Niners' bone-headed decision to pay him a huge contract which he didn't deserve.

Oh well . . .
Blaming the SB loss on Kap? Its too bad he couldn't play corner too huh. Too bad Kap cant play every position but it still wouldn't impress people who have their heads so far up there asses to realize its a TEAM sport. The big bad niner defense gave up 34 points.... You didnt even watch the game yet your making an opinion about it? Must be what the media does too because some of you are completely clueless and your lack of football knowledge is appalling
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #148
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i wonder how much the niners are regretting paying cap..
What many forget is the 49ers contract with Kap is team friendly. They can cut him with minimal cap costs any year they like. I also doubt they regret signing him as I still think he is capable of getting them to a Super Bowl victory.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #149
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
What many forget is the 49ers contract with Kap is team friendly. They can cut him with minimal cap costs any year they like. I also doubt they regret signing him as I still think he is capable of getting them to a Super Bowl victory.
So am I if everyone else does the heavy lifting.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #150
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Blaming the SB loss on Kap? Its too bad he couldn't play corner too huh. Too bad Kap cant play every position but it still wouldn't impress people who have their heads so far up there asses to realize its a TEAM sport. The big bad niner defense gave up 34 points.... You didnt even watch the game yet your making an opinion about it? Must be what the media does too because some of you are completely clueless and your lack of football knowledge is appalling
Kaepernick didn't lose the Super Bowl. He had one poor interception, but special teams and the secondary were bigger goats in that game.

Kaepernick has not had a good year and it isn't just the o line. Mobile QB's historically have a tough time adjusting to pocket passing. More patience is needed.

Kap needs to realize the scrutiny he faces will continue unless he improves on his weaknesses. He doesn't read the field well, isn't consistently accurate, doesn't throw with touch, and doesn't throw his receivers open. Those observations are from Greg Cosell of NFL films. He watches the coaches tape and knows the game. These traits can be clearly observed from the tape without needling to know the offense. I've listened to him on SF sports radio the last two years and its a consistent theme. Kaepernick can be great and make eye popping plays, but he needs to be better at the routine plays.

So while this season isn't totally on Colin's shoulders, there are aspects of his game that must improve.

He needs to work on the subtleties of his position if he wants to be a consistent QB. He can't just rely on what he has done in the past.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #151
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
So am I if everyone else does the heavy lifting.
We aren't talking about Trent Dilfer. Right now Colin is at a crossroads. He can improve on the little things and be closer to Steve Young or he can stay the course and be Michael Vick.

Lets realize that he still has an impressive resume. I am not ready to throw in the towel after one mediocre year. There is plenty of blame to go around.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #152
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
We aren't talking about Trent Dilfer. Right now Colin is at a crossroads. He can improve on the little things and be closer to Steve Young or he can stay the course and be Michael Vick.

Lets realize that he still has an impressive resume. I am not ready to throw in the towel after one mediocre year. There is plenty of blame to go around.
Agreed. He just comes off like a dope, kinda like Winston.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #153
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Agreed. He just comes off like a dope, kinda like Winston.
I agree he does not pander to the press, but he is nowhere near Winston. That guy comes off as a complete jock meathead. Completely absorbed with his small bubble of football. No self awareness. Colin is generally a good guy from all reports, he just isn't going to sing and dance for the media (I'm looking at you Peyton Manning).

When you are winning, you can get away with a lot and people have to take it. When you start losing though, they will come after you. Both Harbaugh and Kaepernick are under fire and some of it is in the way they come off.

I personally don't care that much and neither is doing anything wrong/immoral/illegal/tarnishing the shield, but they better be ready to handle to criticism.

I am interested to see Colin with a new HC. I want to know if part of his persona is encouraged by his coach or if Harbaugh has been doing a masterful job of protecting his QB from the press/fans.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #154
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Winston is a model citizen, and SF would be happy to have him as a role model and ambassador for the team to the community

Last edited by Flying Ace; 12-09-2014 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0