Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums CANADA I bought a used M340i and it has issues, plus new drama

07-26-2020, 01:17 AM   #23
xacoffeemx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 320i, 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aileron88 View Post
In the UK a dealers status is everything and they can be investigated by BMW UK for customer complaints. How does it work in the US?
It's completely a hit or miss on the dealer you go to.. the SA you get or the entire dealership's attitude can be the two main variables in my personal experience.

It's wildly different how knowledgeable a dealer is about the most up to date recalls and especially any new features that the BMW group has recently announced or implemented.

I sometimes get a SA with an attitude that dismisses your concerns about your vehicle and their focus is primarily on trying to upsell their own unnecessary services, even for things that are covered under the warranty. I've even encountered one SA trying to sell me tire rotation on a vehicle that has a standard stagger tire setup smh.
Appreciate 2
      07-26-2020, 02:44 AM   #24
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
this is shocking. i suggest you contact bmw directly.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #25
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
Sorry to hear about all your troubles! Don’t give up until you’re satisfied with either a) a fix or b) an explanation that is understandable/satisfactory.
This has been going on since one of the first post I made about the issue back in Sept. I’m never giving up!

What I don’t understand is why they are so resistant to fix anything if it’s covered under warranty. I brought these issues up with them back in Aug when I purchased it.

There must be some underlying issue there aren’t telling me about.

Last edited by DanVlnStud; 07-26-2020 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 08:55 AM   #26
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xacoffeemx View Post
It's completely a hit or miss on the dealer you go to.. the SA you get or the entire dealership's attitude can be the two main variables in my personal experience.

It's wildly different how knowledgeable a dealer is about the most up to date recalls and especially any new features that the BMW group has recently announced or implemented.

I sometimes get a SA with an attitude that dismisses your concerns about your vehicle and their focus is primarily on trying to upsell their own unnecessary services, even for things that are covered under the warranty. I've even encountered one SA trying to sell me tire rotation on a vehicle that has a standard stagger tire setup smh.
I was persuaded to purchase tire and wheel insurance, I’ve had 3 tires replaced because they said they cannot repair runflats with nail punctures. Thing is my car came with 19 inch Michelin Pilot Sport non-runflat that could have easily been repaired and now they say my front right rim is badly bent, but it would be impossible the tell by looking or driving it. I’ve had bent rims before and you can easily tell by the drive quality. I’m skeptical that it’s even bent.

Last edited by DanVlnStud; 07-29-2020 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 09:13 AM   #27
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aileron88 View Post
In the UK a dealers status is everything and they can be investigated by BMW UK for customer complaints. How does it work in the US?
I’m located in Toronto, Canada but I’m not sure about this, but I would hope so. I’ll be contacting BMW CA about this soon.

In my recent service they claimed to have installed new tie rods, and Android auto, I’m skeptical they did any work at all. I got no receipt, android auto is non existent, and all issues are in full force.

Their priority was to get the loaner back ASAP until parts arrived, even with all the existing issues with bent rim, so now I have to wait until Aug 3rd until the rest of the parts arrive if any.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #28
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVlnStud View Post
I was hoping for they would come to terms with their screw up.
Yet your expectations have not been met in 11 months. By the second visit without resolution you should have taken the car elsewhere. Boggles my mind that you still insist on taking it to the same place, same people where you've been getting swindled. Yet, somehow expect a different result after 11 months. Patience is a virtue but this is beyond that, more like insanity.

Ps. I had a Lexus that was going into limp mode randomly, car had less than 20k miles. Took it to my neighborhood dealer one morning on the way to work. After 3 hours waiting, they gave it back to me and told me it's been fixed. The very same day after work the car went into limp mode again. Did I take it back to those crooks? hell no.

I made an appointment for first thing Saturday at another dealer 30 miles away. Once the SA noticed in the system that I had taken the car a few days ago somewhere else for the unresolved issue. They handed me a loaner and told me they needed to keep the car and take a good look because they were concerned since first dealer didn't fix it.

In the end, they changed out spark plugs and fuel injectors and that solved my issue permanently. Moral of the story is to always try another dealer when you find yourself in the situation you're in.
      07-26-2020, 10:53 AM   #29
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Yet your expectations have not been met in 11 months. By the second visit without resolution you should have taken the car elsewhere. Boggles my mind that you still insist on taking it to the same place, same people where you've been getting swindled. Yet, somehow expect a different result after 11 months. Patience is a virtue but this is beyond that, more like insanity.

Ps. I had a Lexus that was going into limp mode randomly, car had less than 20k miles. Took it to my neighborhood dealer one morning on the way to work. After 3 hours waiting, they gave it back to me and told me it's been fixed. The very same day after work the car went into limp mode again. Did I take it back to those crooks? hell no.

I made an appointment for first thing Saturday at another dealer 30 miles away. Once the SA noticed in the system that I had taken the car a few days ago somewhere else for the unresolved issue. They handed me a loaner and told me they needed to keep the car and take a good look because they were concerned since first dealer didn't fix it.

In the end, they changed out spark plugs and fuel injectors and that solved my issue permanently. Moral of the story is to always try another dealer when you find yourself in the situation you're in.
I would have taken it to another dealer, but non of dealers in Canada offer loaners to customers that don’t make the purchases at their location, but you are right. Even if I have to cab it to work I should have. Anyway I booked an appointment for next Thursday. if this doesn’t fix my issues I’m calling BMW Canada.

Last edited by DanVlnStud; 07-29-2020 at 12:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #30
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
I would have taken it to another dealer, but non of dealers in Canada offer loaners to customers that don’t make the purchases at their location, but you are right. Even if I have to cab it to work I should have. Anyway I booked an appointment for next Thursday. if this doesn’t fix my issues I’m calling calling BMW Canada.
That is so weird. Make a booking online and ask for a loaner. I have NEVER serviced any of my cars at the dealer I bought it from. Yet they have all provided me with good loaner cars.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2020, 10:58 AM   #31
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
That is so weird. Make a booking online and ask for a loaner. I have NEVER serviced any of my cars at the dealer I bought it from. Yet they have all provided me with good loaner cars.
I know, I use to live in Cherry hill, New Jersey. Dealership service was amazing.

Last edited by DanVlnStud; 07-29-2020 at 12:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #32
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
I would have taken it to another dealer, but non of dealers in Canada offer loaners to customers that don’t make the purchases at their location, but you are right. Even if I have to cab it to work I should have. Anyway I booked an appointment for next Thursday. if this doesn’t fix my issues I’m calling calling BMW Canada.
Please don’t tell us you made the appt for the same dealership again. If you did, MAKE AN APPOINTMENT AT A DIFFERENT DEALERSHIP. Drive an hour away or more if you have to. For fuck’s sake don’t go back there.
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #33
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Ah, that's sucks bud. Never wise to assume, never knew Canada had that policy regarding loaners. Anyhow, at this stage, rent a car if you must. Your car issues are long overdue for a permanent resolution, good luck.
      07-26-2020, 06:53 PM   #34
GaoKS
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 Raptor

I may get flamed for this but I will post anyways.

I recently picked up an M340i as well and will chime in here specifically around the groaning when turning and the brake noise.

1. Groaning when turning - can you confirm this is when your foot is on the brake and the vehicle is in gear- reverse or drive (doesn't matter) ? If so, the noise you are hearing are the brake pads "chattering" or moving on the rotor as the suspension and brake assemblies are being flexed from your steering input. I can hear it on my brand new accord, my m340i and many much much more expensive vehicles and cheaper vehicles. Not all do it and some are much quieter, but I've certainly heard it and there are many things that contribute to it.

2. Brake noise - I too have this on my m340i had it as well on my F82 M4. As someone mentioned previously.. the M340i does not have CCB's. It does however, have a more aggressive pad which can be quite noisy, especially when glazed due to lack of aggressive braking or even when the pad/rotors are cold.

The dealership is going to do 1-2 things if there is a not a mechanical component failure. 1 - burnish the brakes. I.e. someone is going to take your car to highway speed and slam on the brakes. You can have them do it or do it yourself. 2. They are going to apply a lubricant to quiet the noise, which after wearing off, will bring the noise right back. I've personally had good luck burnishing the brakes myself on my vehicles during spirited drives. But also, have lived with the fact that a higher performing brake pad and or rotor combo will produce more noise. And don't get me started on the dust.

Good luck with your local service center.. they certainly don't seem very interested in helping and that's a sh!t experience.

Cheers.

BMW Past Rides: 2023 G80 Comp, 2023 G80 xDrive, 2021 M3 Comp, 2020 M340i, 2019 540i, 2016 M4, 2016 535i, 2008 545i
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2020, 09:23 PM   #35
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
I'm still lol'ing that the dealer told you the brake noise is from CCB's... not a single M340 has these so that should be another major red flag this dealer has zero clues
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 09:28 PM   #36
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

There are about 8 BMW dealers in the 30 mile range. Some are literally few miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Please don’t tell us you made the appt for the same dealership again. If you did, MAKE AN APPOINTMENT AT A DIFFERENT DEALERSHIP. Drive an hour away or more if you have to. For fuck’s sake don’t go back there.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:02 PM   #37
nirvanabob
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30 335i xDrive 2013

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
I know, I use to live in Cherry hill, New Jersey. Dealership service was amazing. I have no idea why they are the way they are here in Canada.
Hi there,
I live in Toronto too and I have the same car as yours (demo) only 1000miles when I bought it and I never had any of this issues! Only the brakes whistles sometimes when coming to a stop but that's because of not being to aggressive on them so when I brake harder after a few times the whistles disappear!
I understand your frustration 'cause I had many problem on my previous car 2013 335xdrive!
At that time I ended up doing this:
https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/contact.html
chose product then product also and write your complain!
it will go to BMW germany in the next few hours and first thing in the morning stealership will have it up their asses!
just tell them u brought the car there a couple of times and they're unable to solve any problem, they just keep saying that they fixed the issue!
May I know which dealership are you dealing with?
I hope this is going to help you!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:38 PM   #38
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaoKS View Post
I may get flamed for this but I will post anyways.

I recently picked up an M340i as well and will chime in here specifically around the groaning when turning and the brake noise.

1. Groaning when turning - can you confirm this is when your foot is on the brake and the vehicle is in gear- reverse or drive (doesn't matter) ? If so, the noise you are hearing are the brake pads "chattering" or moving on the rotor as the suspension and brake assemblies are being flexed from your steering input. I can hear it on my brand new accord, my m340i and many much much more expensive vehicles and cheaper vehicles. Not all do it and some are much quieter, but I've certainly heard it and there are many things that contribute to it.

2. Brake noise - I too have this on my m340i had it as well on my F82 M4. As someone mentioned previously.. the M340i does not have CCB's. It does however, have a more aggressive pad which can be quite noisy, especially when glazed due to lack of aggressive braking or even when the pad/rotors are cold.

The dealership is going to do 1-2 things if there is a not a mechanical component failure. 1 - burnish the brakes. I.e. someone is going to take your car to highway speed and slam on the brakes. You can have them do it or do it yourself. 2. They are going to apply a lubricant to quiet the noise, which after wearing off, will bring the noise right back. I've personally had good luck burnishing the brakes myself on my vehicles during spirited drives. But also, have lived with the fact that a higher performing brake pad and or rotor combo will produce more noise. And don't get me started on the dust.

Good luck with your local service center.. they certainly don't seem very interested in helping and that's a sh!t experience.

Cheers.
Thanks, I'm aware of the b.s they fed me about the brakes. I use to be a major gear head. Did all my own repairs on my E60. Any idea what causes the jolt anytime the e-brake is initiated automatically or manually? It's so annoying.

Last edited by DanVlnStud; 07-29-2020 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:42 PM   #39
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
lol Sorry man, it's the last time I promise.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:46 PM   #40
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanabob View Post
Hi there,
I live in Toronto too and I have the same car as yours (demo) only 1000miles when I bought it and I never had any of this issues! Only the brakes whistles sometimes when coming to a stop but that's because of not being to aggressive on them so when I brake harder after a few times the whistles disappear!
I understand your frustration 'cause I had many problem on my previous car 2013 335xdrive!
At that time I ended up doing this:
https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/contact.html
chose product then product also and write your complain!
it will go to BMW germany in the next few hours and first thing in the morning stealership will have it up their asses!
just tell them u brought the car there a couple of times and they're unable to solve any problem, they just keep saying that they fixed the issue!
May I know which dealership are you dealing with?
I hope this is going to help you!

Thanks, and congrats on your BMW. We should drag race sometime. lol
I finally escalated the issue with BMW CANADA!
The email is about 11 months long.

Oh if you want to know which dealer. In my initial post, Click the news article I found about the dealership and you will learn a lot more. Better yet, here it is. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...wice-1.4973924. They also delete my dashcam footage from my GoPro, I had nothing personal on it and I was dealing with a lot at the time so I didn't escalate it. Just wanted my damn car fixed.

Last edited by DanVlnStud; 07-26-2020 at 11:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:47 PM   #41
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
There are about 8 BMW dealers in the 30 mile range. Some are literally few miles away.
I pre-booked with BMW Toronto, but no loaners so I don't know if I can make it. It's currently my only car.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 11:03 PM   #42
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Automotive Enthusiast View Post
But then you also take the *depreciation* hit financially and that cost is significant.

Also, not everyone has the money to buy a brand new BMW.

There is no reason to go out a buy a new car and make a stupid financial decision because someone on the internet said so. Next time, just have a PPI(pre-purchase inspection) done by a reputable shop. You'll be set.
It's hard to tell who is reputable these days with all the B.S websites and reviews. If you google best BMW Dealership for my area, it's rated #1 out of the 6 or 7 dealerships in the area. Then you go to google reviews or yelp and you see nothing but shitty reviews I wish I had seen them before.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 12:01 AM   #43
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
It's hard to tell who is reputable these days with all the B.S websites and reviews. If you google best BMW Dealership for my area, it's rated #1 out of the 6 or 7 dealerships in the area. Then you go to google reviews or yelp and you see nothing but shitty reviews I wish I had seen them before.
It's not hard at all. Those reviews were there before you purchased the car. Not doing your own due diligence is on you, not on it not being easy who's reputable and who's not. Also, it's called a 'stealership' for a reason. Always, always, always get a PPI. Always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 12:12 AM   #44
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingleverry1494 View Post
My brakes have never, ever made that noise on my M340i. They probably have you a BS reason. Unless they are racing brakes, they shouldn't be making a noise that horrid.

For the steering issue, I had the same problem on my Mustang. It had something to do with the steering rack, I'd have to check my service records to check. It made the exact same sound when turning. Can't really compare a mustang and a m340i, but I'd bet that it's the same issue. I was luckily under warranty and it was solved in 1 visit for free.

Whenever I drop off for major service/ warranty work, I usually have them note the mileage and fuel level. If I notice excessive mileage and excessive fuel usage, I demand it to be rectified. I can understand 10 miles on the car for a test drive after service, but not 50 miles and a quarter tank of fuel drained.
Steering rack? I heard nothing of the steering rack being an issue. I’ll look into it. Thanks!
Appreciate 0