BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Drone at 65mph

03-26-2021, 07:56 AM   #1
Lonmon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i x

Drone at 65mph

Like most of you I hate run flat tires. I finally pulled the trigger on replacing my 9k mile old tires when I found a good deal. I am regretting that decision so far. I found a deal on Pirelli Pzero all seasons in 245/40/19. They fit and look great, handling is good and ride is also good. Only issue is when I get to around 60mph I start to hear some road noise that increases to an annoying drone at 65-70mph. Its not crazy loud but it is noticeable even with the radio at normal levels and I feel a very slight vibration sometimes as well. I know they are balanced correctly as that has been double checked. I also have 12mm wheel spacers (which were also on with the original tires). Has anyone else experienced this with spacers and wider tires then stock? I also played with tire pressures. Initially I ran the factory spec 38ft and 42rear but then figured they would not need to be this high with non run flats. I did a little research and adjusted them to 36 front and 38 rear. This did not change the noise at all. Any advice or info would be helpful. I should have just ordered the Michelins but these were about half as much (hind sight is always 20/20).
H&R Springs
MHD Stage 2 E40
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 06:17 PM   #2
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Sell them and buy the PS4s........there is nothing better than driving on good tires....
2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 08:39 PM   #3
Lonmon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i x

I rotated them and they are much quieter for now. Since I can't return them, I'm gonna get some use out of them. The next set I will be wiser and just go with the Michelin's.
H&R Springs
MHD Stage 2 E40
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 11:42 PM   #4
kiwirick
Old Fella
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonmon View Post
Like most of you I hate run flat tires. I finally pulled the trigger on replacing my 9k mile old tires when I found a good deal. I am regretting that decision so far. I found a deal on Pirelli Pzero all seasons in 245/40/19. They fit and look great, handling is good and ride is also good. Only issue is when I get to around 60mph I start to hear some road noise that increases to an annoying drone at 65-70mph. Its not crazy loud but it is noticeable even with the radio at normal levels and I feel a very slight vibration sometimes as well. I know they are balanced correctly as that has been double checked. I also have 12mm wheel spacers (which were also on with the original tires). Has anyone else experienced this with spacers and wider tires then stock? I also played with tire pressures. Initially I ran the factory spec 38ft and 42rear but then figured they would not need to be this high with non run flats. I did a little research and adjusted them to 36 front and 38 rear. This did not change the noise at all. Any advice or info would be helpful. I should have just ordered the Michelins but these were about half as much (hind sight is always 20/20).
My M340i xDrive has had a low-level, low frequency drone or thrum..thrum..thrum resonance since new, starting at about 60 mph, most noticeable on smooth (hot mix) asphalt. Initially, I thought the problem might be a slightly out-of-balance drive line, but it doesn't seem to get much worse when I go faster, nor is it related to engine speed. It seems a little worse in cold weather. I have 18" staggered size Goodyear Asymmetric 3 run flats. My dealer has experimented with a couple of other tire sets on my car (Pirelli P Zero run flats, then Michelin PS4 run flats), none of which significantly addressed the issue, which remains under investigation. I have also driven another M340i which had the same problem, but far less noticeably (I am now sensitized to the noise) to the point that most people wouldn't hear it.

I'm suspicious that this may be a design problem, or perhaps an issue with a resonance damper. Otherwise I may eventually have to change to non RFTs to try to address the issue, although there is no guarantee that this will work. To be continued ....

Current : 2019 M340i xDrive, Mineral White
Appreciate 0