BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Black TPMS valve stem covers

04-29-2021, 08:53 PM   #1
MEX521
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Black TPMS valve stem covers

I love my new G22 with the gloss black wheels but man, silver stems stand out way too much. Anyone have any luck with finding black valve stem covers that match BMW valve stem threads?

I purchased these Wheel Mate covers (below) for my Lexus GS which states they are compatible with BMW but no luck. Seems 45930B is the only part available with no other options. The threads don't match BMW.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Mate-....m46890.l49286

I'm even open to purchasing new sensors in black if someone can make some recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 12:02 PM   #2
j080808
USA
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, 440i

Tire Rack offers black covers when you buy wheels/tires/tpms as a package, however their stems/sleeve thread may be different even if they sold just the sleeves.

Id take them off, degrease, scuff, prime, paint, reinstall hand-tight but leave overnight before torquing them to 71 inch pounds (isnt much, so paint should be fine). Keep in mind, the sleeve holds the unit in the wheel.

If I were to paint, I'd leave the tires inflated and remove the sleeve, the tire pressure should hold the stem in place with pressure against the rubber grommet.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:09 AM   #3
MEX521
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by j080808 View Post
Tire Rack offers black covers when you buy wheels/tires/tpms as a package, however their stems/sleeve thread may be different even if they sold just the sleeves.

Id take them off, degrease, scuff, prime, paint, reinstall hand-tight but leave overnight before torquing them to 71 inch pounds (isnt much, so paint should be fine). Keep in mind, the sleeve holds the unit in the wheel.

If I were to paint, I'd leave the tires inflated and remove the sleeve, the tire pressure should hold the stem in place with pressure against the rubber grommet.
I elected to paint them as suggested, allowed them to dry over 24hrs and the paint still chipped when torquing them. Had to apply touch up by hand but so far so good. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0