Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Lane change Assistant?

07-24-2021, 03:30 PM   #1
njw1967
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40

Lane change Assistant?

Hi all,
Just picked up my M340d today
Really happy with the car but can't seem to make the lane change assistant work ?
Does this work on UK cars or is it disabled?

The car has Tech pack Pro with full DAP
Driving assistant professional

Appreciate any help or suggestions

Regards Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #2
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

There's no lane change assistant in the UK.

You can code it, but that risks your warranty.

Same with other stuff like traffic light recognition.
Appreciate 1
njw1967619.50
      07-24-2021, 03:46 PM   #3
njw1967
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post

Ok thanks for the reply still totally made up with it, im told any coding is wiped out by updates any way.
Maybe it will get added as they've recently changed the laws on automated driving

Regards Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #4
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by njw1967 View Post
Ok thanks for the reply still totally made up with it, im told any coding is wiped out by updates any way.
Maybe it will get added as they've recently changed the laws on automated driving

Regards Neil
I think it was enabled with 03/2021.50? I'm sure I didn't have to code it back in after the dealer updated it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 08:55 AM   #5
njw1967
Captain
England
Rep

I think it was enabled with 03/2021.50? I'm sure I didn't have to code it back in after the dealer updated it.[/QUOTE]

How can I check my software version or can only the dealer do it ?

Regards Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #6
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Regards Neil
If you go to Car - Settings - General Settings - Remote Software Upgrade, I think it will tell you your current version and show if there's an update.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 10:29 AM   #7
njw1967
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
Quote:

Regards Neil
If you go to Car - Settings - General Settings - Remote Software Upgrade, I think it will tell you your current version and show if there's an update.
Quote:
Quote:

Regards Neil
I think it was enabled with 03/2021.50? I'm sure I didn't have to code it back in after the dealer updated it.
So are you saying this function works on your car ?

Regards Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #8
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Mineral White

Quote:

Regards Neil
I have a brand new G22 with full UK Driver Assistant Pro and up to date software; full lane assistance is not enabled. I would be surprised if any UK spec car was although happy to be proved wrong. Regards
Appreciate 1
njw1967619.50
      07-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #9
njw1967
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFats View Post
Quote:

Regards Neil
I have a brand new G22 with full UK Driver Assistant Pro and up to date software; full lane assistance is not enabled. I would be surprised if any UK spec car was although happy to be proved wrong. Regards
My software is 03/2021.30
It's saying no upgrade available
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 12:43 PM   #10
Dark_cobra
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 320D Xdrive Touring

Lane change assist was not activated on my G21 with 03.2021.50 software update. I'm based in UK.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 03:11 PM   #11
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I'd coded it previously, but fairly sure it was one of the ones I didn't have to recode after the upgrade. I was trying to find the 03/2021 release notes as I'm sure I recall seeing it on there after the upgrade in the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 03:46 PM   #12
njw1967
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
I'd coded it previously, but fairly sure it was one of the ones I didn't have to recode after the upgrade. I was trying to find the 03/2021 release notes as I'm sure I recall seeing it on there after the upgrade in the car.
Was your update at a dealership or online remote?

Does anyone know what the complications are with regards to warranty with coding modifications ?

Would they know if I just said it's always worked
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 04:13 PM   #13
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Does anyone know what the complications are with regards to warranty with coding modifications ?

Would you want to trust that they would accept that? And how about any third party's insurance company, or indeed the authorities? You could at best nullify your own insurance and at worst become entirely involved in being culpably negligent in any accident. Personally, any benefits are entirely outweighed by the risks involved. I'd wait until any legislative and/or insurance policy changes to take effect.
Appreciate 1
njw1967619.50
      07-28-2021, 04:19 AM   #14
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

It was done at the dealer. I had intended to remove the coding before sending it in, but didn't get chance in the end. Nothing was mentioned.
Appreciate 1
njw1967619.50
      07-28-2021, 04:58 AM   #15
njw1967
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
It was done at the dealer. I had intended to remove the coding before sending it in, but didn't get chance in the end. Nothing was mentioned.
What tools do you use for coding ?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 05:22 AM   #16
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

Quote:
Quote:

Would you want to trust that they would accept that? And how about any third party's insurance company, or indeed the authorities? You could at best nullify your own insurance and at worst become entirely involved in being culpably negligent in any accident. Personally, any benefits are entirely outweighed by the risks involved. I'd wait until any legislative and/or insurance policy changes to take effect.
what coding are you talking about?
the simple software modifications on the color of the ambient lighting and things like that have nothing to do with insurance etc.
I also discussed this via a recorded chat with the dealer in the Netherlands and they said that software modifications, with minor impact don't affect the warranty. only thing is that if you enable lane change assist, the warranty won't cover it itself simply because the car wasn't delivered that way.
quite easy reasoning.
if you add software (supposing you could) it's not under warranty. changing something is different.

PS: remote start (and access) is indeed something insurance related however... would never do that and personally don't see any benefits.
Appreciate 1
njw1967619.50
      07-28-2021, 06:33 AM   #17
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
the simple software modifications on the color of the ambient lighting and things like that have nothing to do with insurance etc.
I also discussed this via a recorded chat with the dealer in the Netherlands and they said that software modifications, with minor impact don't affect the warranty. only thing is that if you enable lane change assist, the warranty won't cover it itself simply because the car wasn't delivered that way.
quite easy reasoning.
if you add software (supposing you could) it's not under warranty. changing something is different.

PS: remote start (and access) is indeed something insurance related however... would never do that and personally don't see any benefits.
Coding a vehicle’s parameters that derive from a legal basis in that country: I.e. if it is illegal in that country to have a car that can perform a particular function and where the country has required that manufacturer to deny its customers that particular option. In the UK, there is an ongoing government consultation on many of these aspects and the current thinking is that more Lane Assistant options will become legal by the end of this year. Let's hope so.

Last edited by RAFats; 07-28-2021 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
njw1967619.50
      07-28-2021, 09:29 AM   #18
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

Quote:
Quote:
quite easy reasoning.

Coding a vehicle's parameters that derive from a legal basis in that country: I.e. if it is illegal in that country to have a car that can perform a particular function and where the country has required that manufacturer to deny its customers that particular option. In the UK, there is an ongoing government consultation on many of these aspects and the current thinking is that more Lane Assistant options will become legal by the end of this year. Let's hope so.
absolutely!
but aren't those functions already legal for Tesla's? I'm not sure but I think they are...
for me, I originally ordered a 330e in the Netherlands but due to shortages on chips, co pilot pack was removed which also included the adaptive cruise control. I didn't accept the car and they ordered a new one including the ACC but without the driver pack pro that was the issue.
in the meantime, more options were under pressure of not being delivered (5 of the options of my full option order) and I found a full specd car in Germany as a stock car.
I bought it since my actual order would not be delivered and it's officially a new dutch car but ordered according to the "German laws package". I don't think they differ to be honest but I will code the lane change system to become active.
anyway, I see it as speeding limits... you are not allowed to break them but the car is able to..
so you can enable the system but officially not allowed to use it
these "helping systems" are not to be used without the driver paying attention and there is protection on not having your hands on the steering wheel.
it's still initiated by a manual command...
Appreciate 1
njw1967619.50
      07-28-2021, 09:59 AM   #19
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
absolutely!
but aren't those functions already legal for Tesla's? I'm not sure but I think they are...
for me, I originally ordered a 330e in the Netherlands but due to shortages on chips, co pilot pack was removed which also included the adaptive cruise control. I didn't accept the car and they ordered a new one including the ACC but without the driver pack pro that was the issue.
in the meantime, more options were under pressure of not being delivered (5 of the options of my full option order) and I found a full specd car in Germany as a stock car.
I bought it since my actual order would not be delivered and it's officially a new dutch car but ordered according to the "German laws package". I don't think they differ to be honest but I will code the lane change system to become active.
anyway, I see it as speeding limits... you are not allowed to break them but the car is able to..
so you can enable the system but officially not allowed to use it
these "helping systems" are not to be used without the driver paying attention and there is protection on not having your hands on the steering wheel.
it's still initiated by a manual command...
I agree. The only aspect, as far as I can tell, on my system is the ability to use adaptive cruise and lane control to indicate left or right and for the vehicle to make the move for me. Everything else I believe I have. I am unsure about Tesla, but I do know that the UK Gov is supportive of more self-driving cars but with a cap of 37 mph and only on motorways. How they police that I have no idea.
Appreciate 2
njw1967619.50
DRuw129.50
      07-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #20
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Quote:
quite easy reasoning.

Coding a vehicle's parameters that derive from a legal basis in that country: I.e. if it is illegal in that country to have a car that can perform a particular function and where the country has required that manufacturer to deny its customers that particular option. In the UK, there is an ongoing government consultation on many of these aspects and the current thinking is that more Lane Assistant options will become legal by the end of this year. Let's hope so.
Auto Lane change is available on multiple BMW models in the U.K. and multiple manufacturers, and has been for some years.
It's in the brochure as part of dap but seems random as to who actually gets it, so no legal or regulatory concerns on that specific coding.

Agree re the risk on other coding but easily mitigated albeit never 100%.

The hands off eTJA is not yet available and that's what the U.K. regulators are looking at.
Appreciate 1
njw1967619.50
      07-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #21
RAFats
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Auto Lane change is available on multiple BMW models in the U.K. and multiple manufacturers, and has been for some years.
It's in the brochure as part of dap but seems random as to who actually gets it, so no legal or regulatory concerns on that specific coding.

The hands off eTJA is not yet available and that's what the U.K. regulators are looking at.
Thank you; I am both relieved and properly informed.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 06:35 AM   #22
njw1967
Captain
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post

Hi do you have copy or screenshot of the brochure reference to Lane change assistant as I cannot find it anywhere ?

Thanks NJW
Appreciate 0