Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs Help me prioritize new car tint/ppf/ceramic

10-25-2022, 06:00 PM   #1
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW330e

Help me prioritize new car tint/ppf/ceramic

What would you prioritize for a new car, and why?

Let me tell you a bit about us.
  1. I’m not likely to handwash/detail my car every weekend. The schedule and my level of interest/follow-thru simply make this a non-starter.
  2. The car is garaged, day and night. We both work from home, so it does not sit in a parking lot all day/every day.
  3. I’ve never been obsessive about our cars, but we do keep them clean.
  4. I’m probably going to use an automatic car wash. I’d prefer brushless/touchless… but they’re in *really* short supply around here. I may (reluctantly) do a membership at a SoapyJoes or similar.
  5. We’d like to install clear/light window tint (Llumar Air 80 or similar) for the sake of UV & heat protection.
  6. The dealer is performing a *mandatory* install of PPF on door edges, handle cups, rear bumper sill, touchscreen (for a mandatory aftermarket upcharge of $999).
  7. We live in San Diego county. No snow. Little rain (but the rain we get is dirty). Lots of sun.
  8. I could reasonably justify spending $2000 on additional protection. Maybe another $1-2000 in a few months.

(Obviously, given my cost parameters, I cannot do a full PPF/ceramic/tinting.)

How would you prioritize tinting/ppf/ceramic? Why?

Thanks for any help!!!

Last edited by SoCalJon; 10-25-2022 at 06:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 07:25 PM   #2
Tman97
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW m340i portimao blue

Based on your situation, I would go with tint first followed by PPF. Ceramic coating your vehicle is a waste of money if you don't intend to properly maintain the coating. Maintaining the coating means two bucket hand washing the vehicle as opposed to going to an automatic wash. Automatic washes will destroy a ceramic coating over time.

My dealer tried to tell me they would do a "mandatory" PPF like what you described above and I told them absolutely not. They didn't argue with me.
Appreciate 1
SoCalJon234.50
      10-25-2022, 08:31 PM   #3
Jason99GSX
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

So it really depends on your goals. Tint is going to give you the heat rejection and UV protection of course, but it’s not going to protect your vehicles paint or make it easier to wash. PPF is going to give you the absolute best protection for the vehicles paint. My advise and this is coming from a window tinter…. If you have the money right now like you mentioned you can drop $2000. Id get a quote and do full front end PPF or at least the front bumper at a minimum. You want todo that sooner than later. Do it before you start getting rock chips etc. then the bumper already has imperfections. Do it now if you can and protect it ahead of time. You could even do a partial front if you wanted. PPF with ceramic on top is going to be your best bet at giving you 1. The most protection you can get and 2. It’s going to be a lot easier to wash and keep the car clean. I wouldn’t even bother with that dealer PPF unless they are using a reputable shop with a quality material todo the job. That stuff the dealer throws on in certain spots is junk. Save the $999 and put it towards a better product. A tint job is a few hundred bucks. Put away $25 a week and you can always do that in a month or two honestly. That’s just my opinion. Goodluck with your decision!

-Jason
Appreciate 1
SoCalJon234.50
      10-25-2022, 09:18 PM   #4
SoCalJon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW330e

I appreciate the comments on the dealer installed PPF. I don’t think I have a lot of negotiation room here, unless I think they’d throw some other accessory in that they can mark up in its place. At least the spec sheet is an Xpel product, so I don’t think it’s too much junk.

I appreciate the comments about ceramic probably being overkill given what I’ve described. I think you’re probably right. I know that maintaining that is not going to be a reasonable priority.

Also, it sounds like it makes more sense to prioritize PPF and live without tinting for a couple of months.

I can get PPF full front (bumper, hood, and fenders),rocker panels, & mirror backs for $1,899.

Llumar 80 on all four windows, windshield, sunroof (with color strip on windshield) runs just under 1k.

Seems like it might be reasonable to do the PPF package right away and the LLumar 80 in a month or two.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 09:27 PM   #5
Jason99GSX
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJon View Post
I appreciate the comments on the dealer installed PPF. I don’t think I have a lot of negotiation room here, unless I think they’d throw some other accessory in that they can mark up in its place. At least the spec sheet is an Xpel product, so I don’t think it’s too much junk.

I appreciate the comments about ceramic probably being overkill given what I’ve described. I think you’re probably right. I know that maintaining that is not going to be a reasonable priority.

Also, it sounds like it makes more sense to prioritize PPF and live without tinting for a couple of months.

I can get PPF full front (bumper, hood, and fenders),rocker panels, & mirror backs for $1,899.

Llumar 80 on all four windows, windshield, sunroof (with color strip on windshield) runs just under 1k.

Seems like it might be reasonable to do the PPF package right away and the LLumar 80 in a month or two.

Oh that’s great to hear! XPEL is great! So I retract that then. Quality product so you’re good to go then with that. Usually you see that crap the dealer throws on and it ends up turning yellow etc and looks terrible but you’re getting a good product. Yeah I definitely would prioritize the PPF first! Yeah that tint quote is pretty much what we would charge as well. I didn’t know you were gonna do the full shield as well. But it’s a great idea. I just picked up my car a week ago and I just tinted it the other night in ceramic. Still gotta do my windshield!
Appreciate 1
SoCalJon234.50