Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications xDrive delete for G series

04-19-2024, 06:33 AM   #23
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
So if all 4 wheels were spinning, then that'd be proper AWD mode and likely stock behavior. "Going nowhere" with all 4 wheels spinning - makes no sense.
according to the tuner, flashing back to stock does not restore your original software, rather the tuner has their own "stock" software they flash when you "reset"

that explains why Sport plus became a wild animal after flashing back to stock

it must be a European coding

i recall taking the car onto gravel road and trying to get the back end to come out in sport plus with DTC and nothing happened. with the new "stock" it's different.

this explains why
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 04:02 AM   #24
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30M View Post
according to the tuner, flashing back to stock does not restore your original software, rather the tuner has their own "stock" software they flash when you "reset"

that explains why Sport plus became a wild animal after flashing back to stock

it must be a European coding

i recall taking the car onto gravel road and trying to get the back end to come out in sport plus with DTC and nothing happened. with the new "stock" it's different.

this explains why
Thats weird. Firstly I know for a fact that xautomotive ONLY modify the VTG (the transfer case) programming, not the DEC switch or traction control, nor the M diff software.

Secondly I can confirm (having an EU spec car) that when the car was completely stock, with DTC on, the car would slide wildly with seemingly no intervention. It really surprised me when I tried it out as I thought it would allow some slip/sliding but would intervene before getting too out of hand, nope!

But maybe US spec'd cars are different - who knows. I'd find it weird, plus I have spoken with xautomotive and they said xdelete ONLY modifes the VTG software.
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2024, 05:17 PM   #25
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M340iX

Garage List
My curiosity got the best of me despite my research and desire to not screw up the transfer case. Really just wanted to know more or less of how it would make the car behave even with that front axle still linked. I’m pretty shocked. Quite a wild adventure so far and I only flashed it last night (around midnight, because, bourbon). So far I’m finding it rather fun to use and the AWD sport setting on its own is nicely rear biased. Trying it in RWD only for a few days. Guess I should start putting some savings aside for a replacement case. 😬
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2024, 05:40 PM   #26
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostrata View Post
My curiosity got the best of me despite my research and desire to not screw up the transfer case. Really just wanted to know more or less of how it would make the car behave even with that front axle still linked. I’m pretty shocked. Quite a wild adventure so far and I only flashed it last night (around midnight, because, bourbon). So far I’m finding it rather fun to use and the AWD sport setting on its own is nicely rear biased. Trying it in RWD only for a few days. Guess I should start putting some savings aside for a replacement case. 😬
What is it that you think will damage the transfer case? With xdelete nothing is going to damage the transfer case unless you are trying to constantly drift in awd or sport modes.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 06:12 PM   #27
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
What is it that you think will damage the transfer case?
the numerous threads in the F series
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 06:13 PM   #28
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostrata View Post
My curiosity got the best of me despite my research and desire to not screw up the transfer case. Really just wanted to know more or less of how it would make the car behave even with that front axle still linked. I’m pretty shocked. Quite a wild adventure so far and I only flashed it last night (around midnight, because, bourbon). So far I’m finding it rather fun to use and the AWD sport setting on its own is nicely rear biased. Trying it in RWD only for a few days. Guess I should start putting some savings aside for a replacement case. ��
it is a different car with AWD Sport lol.
if you read carefully it says RWD only unless it needs torque to front axle. now the conditions for when it thinks it needs torque to front axle i'd say is pretty limited. i tried to launch it on a damp tarmac (wasn't even that wet) in AWD Sport and it's spinning the rear wheels only.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2024, 08:20 PM   #29
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That has nothing to do with this series. In RWD only mode the transfer case is not being used and xdelete makes sure the clutches are in the proper position to not cause issues. In AWD Sport it uses the transfer case less not more so logically it'll likely cause less wear than normal AWD mode.

Unless you are abusing it, doing the equivalent of drifting (constantly forcing loss of traction) in any of the AWD modes you won't be causing any more issues than stock to the transfer case, likely less.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 08:02 AM   #30
MichaelNRW
B58 Power
Rep
Drives: 05/2022 M340i xDrive Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Maybe because the F series driveshaft was not the same for xDrive and RWD :-)
The xDrive driveshaft was weaker compared to the RWD version...
So people killed it with xDelete.