Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Dynamic function of ambient lighting even when the engine is off?

07-01-2022, 08:56 AM   #1
Travisty65
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport G20; X6 M50d F16

Dynamic function of ambient lighting even when the engine is off?

Hey all
The "dynamic function" selection in my iDrive ambient lighting menu enables the pulsing of ambient light when there's an incoming phone call and also pulses red ambient lighting on the doors when they're opened BUT only while the engine is running.

Is there any way to code it so the engine can be off and whenever anyone opens their door in my car, the door ambient lighting pulses red? Thought it would just make more sense of the feature

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 01:19 AM   #2
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisty65 View Post
Hey all
The "dynamic function" selection in my iDrive ambient lighting menu enables the pulsing of ambient light when there's an incoming phone call and also pulses red ambient lighting on the doors when they're opened BUT only while the engine is running.

Is there any way to code it so the engine can be off and whenever anyone opens their door in my car, the door ambient lighting pulses red? Thought it would just make more sense of the feature

Thanks in advance!
Did you figure out a solution to this? I also asked the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 03:21 AM   #3
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

I dont know about coding but there is a hardware mod by digital bmway online that has some extra features it add to standard ambient lighting
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 11:05 AM   #4
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNine90 View Post
I dont know about coding but there is a hardware mod by digital bmway online that has some extra features it add to standard ambient lighting
Link please?

To answer Travisty65 question about dynamic lighting when car is off, it definitely could work but requires a parameter change. For instance:

When you get a phone call with AA/CarPlay connected, the ambient lighting flashes even when the car is off and the door is open. So if you’re parking on the side of a street and need to open the door, just call yourself.

When you’re locking/unlocking the car at night, the ambient light also flashes.

I would also like to configure flashes in other cases, such as errors, map notifications, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 11:48 AM   #5
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

https://digital-bmway.online/en/post...s-in-progress/
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2023, 11:19 PM   #6
thepianist1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNine90 View Post
Oh that’s interesting mainly because the built in warnings aren’t that good.

Rear cross traffic alerts. The audible alert won’t always come on, so having the corresponding side flash red will bring more attention. Same with blind spot, but maybe yellow.

Forward collision warning. Having all the ambient lights turn red when pedestrian or car red icon appears might increase braking reaction time.

The hazards are already built in, you can see the ambient lights flash yellow when you lock and unlock the car.

Everything else (turn signals, flashing red when door open) probably will be pretty annoying after a while
Appreciate 0